Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You won't notice as much outside the car, because of perspective. People previously having an issue with the lack of a world scale option always mentioned the car scale being wrong, though we know everything in the game is correctly scaled. So make adjustments based on how the car looks.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  2. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Lazza Strange thing was, the arms and steering wheel got smaller, but the cockpit didn't change. Just looked very, very odd.

3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

No no , car scale will get small or larger ....
    Just keep increasing and you see cockpit getting very wide .

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

397 gave us this option why ?

They may feel some cars ingame may not be correct ? ( mods maybe )
    Do different vr headsets vary ( scale )
    I don't know the answer but the sim got a lot better visually for me .

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, nothing to do with content. Even mod cars will get the overall scale close enough that you won't notice any difference. It's about some headsets not providing enough IPD range and some people's heads not fitting into it. I imagine some cheaper sets might even lack any adjustment, so the software has to do it.

6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

It is also more convenient to fine tune/adjust IPD while you see it in game, rather than via headset software.

Lazza and Narrowbackwing like this.
  7. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Registered

Finally found the right thread...

Is there a way to sharpen up the image in VR? With a PPD of 130 the image seems pretty blurry in the Distance with a Rift S.

I tried the Texture Sharpening in the player.json but it appearently doesn't work, since it is resetting always to zero.

"Texture Sharpening":0 ,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In short no, in long either up the PPD some more or get a HMD with better resolution. The Rift S is a step up from the CV1 resolution wise but it's not Gen2, so it still has some shortcomings one of them being a low resolution still.

9. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Registered

Well i know that the resolution isn't there to compared to monitor resolution.
    Other Simulations like iRacing or ACC have got settings to sharpen up the image to get a clearer view despite having a low resolution headset, which works pretty good.

Other Question; can we use Reshade in VR-Mode?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Leynad likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Then more PPD is currently the only option for you with RF2, or perhaps max out your Texture and AA Settings that may help, no idea on ReShade sorry :)

11. Andregee

Andregee Registered

No.
    There are 2 values that are relevant. The IPD setting in the headset is used for image sharpness. This adjusts the lens distance to the interpupillary distance.
    The World Scale slider, on the other hand, determines the theoretical distance of the camera positions that literally film the in-game scene. If this distance does not match the IPD selected in the headset, the proportions will not match either. That's exactly why you need both controls, because even with an optimal IPD setting in the rift, the size display in rFactor2 was completely wrong for me and much too small.

sherpa25 and Lazza like this.
  12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Texture sharpeing works fine for me. I don´t know whats wrong for you. Maybe you should try a write protection for the file

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Interesting. I assumed rF2 would automatically match the set IPD based on the interface with the HMD, and this extra setting was to cater for situations that weren't handled already. If that's not the case (or even if it were, actually) there's good reason to think an actual in-game calibration would be a good thing (rather than doing it 'by feel').

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  14. Andregee

Andregee Registered

With the rift, its not the case. Changing the IPD in the Rift changes nothing in the word scaling in rFactor2. I don´t how it is with native Steam VR headsets. For me the look of the rims was very small, sometimes really funny.

sherpa25 likes this.
  15. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Registered

Even with write protection set on the file the settings gets reset.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

I have not read the entire thread, but have you made sure to open the file as administrator? If you use WIndows Text editor without admin rights on then it will not necessarily save the changes. Or you could use a text editor like Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/) it has worked for me for many years.

Also @Thomas_W have you used supersampling in the SteamVR settings? A small boost in SS will sharpen the image but at the cost of FPS. If you have a beefy enough system a some small level of SS will not be noticeable in FPS.

17. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Registered

I always use Notepad++, and now tried it as starting as admin, but still when starting the game it resets the option to "0".
    Im wondering if i am editing the right file "\rFactor 2\UserData\player\player.json" ?

Yes i tried supersampling, of course it helps with the clarity, but still sharpening would help a lot on a low resolution hmd like the rift s.
    In iRacing the sharpening option give a noticeable bump in clarity.

18. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

The VR update from the roadmap isn't in the json file:
    "VR IPD Scale": 1,
    "VR IPD Scale#": "VR IPD Scale: Adjusts IPD distance
    between eyes. 1.0 = default IPD
    distance, as reported by the HMD,
    below 1.0 = reduce, above 1.0 =
    increase",
    "VR Projection Mode": 0,
    "VR Projection Mode#": "VR Projection Mode: 0 =
    default, 1 = not in-plane displays
    HMDs",

WHere is it?

19. danalm

danalm Registered

You have to start rF2 and close it. Then the player.json will have been updated with the new lines. New projection mode for Pimax is bugged though.

EDIT: non-parallel projection mode is fixed now with the latest build.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  20. sharjeelr

sharjeelr Registered

Hey guys..I decvcided t o check rf2 in vr after almost a 10 month hiatus. Seems that there is no way around supressing "oculus home" running in the background anymore? If I remember correctly, it used to be a pretty simple fix (setting .exe to administrator mode?) and another fix floating about the net where you download a condesned Oculus folder file doesnt seem to cut it either. Any ideas?