Automation import

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Rujasu, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rujasu

Rujasu Registered

So, here's a bit of a strange request.
    There's this early access game called Automation, which is basically a car company tycoon game. The great thing about it is that it goes into quite extreme detail when it comes to actually designing your cars, and it's quite realistic, too, on that front.
    Its major claim to fame, though, is the ability to export you creations into BeamNG Drive. The game itself only has a 2D, on rails testing environment that doesn't let you control the car, but with BeamNG you really get to experience all the mistakes you made in suspension design.
    Video so you get the idea.

What does this have to do with rF2, you ask? The developer has said that they'd be willing to make export tools for other sims (specifically mentioning rF2), but they'd need developer help to convert everything to the right format and ensuring all the variables in Automation translate into something sensible in the target game.
    As far as mods go, they'd be pretty bad cars - no cockpit view, for example - but there's a lot of fun to be had in racing self-made cars, either in person or playing manager in an AI driver league.

So, you know, just throwing it out there.

Capeta likes this.
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It sure looks like a more entertaining way to build a car than what is done today lol

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can't find it now, but someone mentioned this a number of months ago, possibly in a roadmap thread. I think Marcel said they wouldn't be doing anything to support it, which isn't surprising given the work already on their plate.

4. Rujasu

Rujasu Registered

Ah well, one can always dream. I've tried running and AI racing league, and it'd be a huge boon to viewer involvement.

5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Since we already have publicized how to build cars (with an extensive dev blog for the Brabham BT44B) I think we've pretty much already provided the information that the Automation team would need to convert "their parameters" into a working model in rFactor 2. We'd be happy to answer any questions they have (here on the forum). What we don't have time for is to write the exporter tools.

Will Mazeo and Rujasu like this.