When connection is lost in race session prevent the game from closing

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Will Mazeo, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

So we wouldn't have to reload everything, this would make rejoin a lot faster. Please!

Edit to make it more clear
    You are in race and lose connection. The game wont close, everything will just pause and you get the message the connection is lost. You then open your steam server list or the new UI and rejoin that server, no load is necessary. The game will simply update you and you start from pits as it does when you rejoin nowadays. This would save a lot of time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. RoWo

RoWo Member

Multiplayer.json:

"Multiplayer General Options":{
    "Allow Chat In Car":true,
    "Allow Chat In Car#":"whether to allow incoming chats to appear while in car",
    "Auto Exit":false,

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RoWo does that allow a one click rejoin?

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This is to send you back to the game menu (or launcher, dont remember now) when you leave a server so it wont do what I'm requesting
    What I mean is the game remain loaded and you rejoin without having to reload any car or track or skin, you just get the rest of the info like car position etc and restart from garage. Games like League of Legends do that (but their reconnect is automatic, in rF2 case you'd have to make it manual)

Lazza likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Will Mazeo I'm curious to know if the above is a useful halfway point, but I agree - a secondary timeout (perhaps 1-2 mins) where the server still holds on in case the client can reestablish connection, then load any new cars and resume, would be better. If that doesn't happen the server can drop and let someone else in.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Why would it let someone else in?
    You are not getting it.
    What I mean is: you are in race and lose connection. The game wont close, everything will just pause and you get the message the connection is lost. You then open your steam server list or the new UI and rejoin that server, no load is necessary. The game will simply update you and you start from pits as it does when you rejoin nowadays. This is only to save time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I get it. People can join race sessions pending an open session, and that's not necessarily something you want to prevent because someone timed out and isn't coming back. So there'd likely be a timeout period of some sort.

If we're on this topic though, I think the question has to be asked: what sort of disconnect are we talking about? Sometimes the game seems very sensitive to a connection issue and drops while nothing else does, and that for me is the scenario for this (along with, obviously, just a random short connection dropout). I wouldn't even drop out to a server list at that point, just stay at the monitor and wait. Preferably it would even be possible to have the car restart from the side of the track (details to be worked out) rather than teleport back to the pits, for a short outage. Wouldn't even rule out a ghost car on the initial rejoin to avoid nasty incidents.

Anyway, sorry to tread on your wish. As you were.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

What the heck man.
    When you disconnect today in a race for whatever reason you rejoin, it's that simple. I only want to reduce the time spent on this.
    People pending a session is not the point here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Stop focusing on what I said about other people joining. From a programming perspective I know it's little details like that (how to handle various scenarios, what could cause issues like locking people out of a server inadvertently) that can end up being the biggest headache. I agree with the idea. Don't worry.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Some good ideas.
    This happened to me in a league race. I got disconnected when I was in 2nd place and by the time I got back in the game I was 2 and a half laps down in last place.
    I like also Lazza idea to try to make it less sensitive to being disconnected in the first place.