Loading Times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

For those of you that previously had an HDD but moved over to an SDD, did you see a significant difference in loading times for tracks? I find myself having to wait several minutes for tracks to load, even without AI. If you then add AI one at a time whilst in-game, it sort of pauses for several seconds before allowing you add another one.

If I was to move over to an SSD, would I see much of a difference in these areas? I ask that because I also play ACC and that boots up 30AI and the track within 10 seconds (I know that this game runs on a completely different engine).

2. Depco

Depco Registered

When I moved from a HDD to an NVME SSD I noticed a little bit of a speed up in track loading but not as significant as in other games. The pause when adding ai one by one is still present.

Ari Antero likes this.
  3. Pales

Pales Registered

Thanks for your response. I am gutted to hear though, it must be a limitation of the engine perhaps. I wonder if we will ever see an improvement in this area.

4. gbriden

gbriden Registered

Truly the ONLY aspect of this game that gives me grief is track loading times. Hopefully the new UI helps.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No significant reduction in loading times, save your money... It all depends on the speed of the GPU memory, not the disk...

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Loading times are amazingly fast in ACC, but on the other hand you have those wierd blury texture streaming issues that look far worse, if you have to deal with them. Would I like to see faster loadung times in rF2? Sure. But right now I am glad that all the stuff is properly loaded. It all comes with an expense.

7. Pales

Pales Registered

I have a 1080ti which I would assume is more than sufficient for this game though?

8. lagg

lagg Registered

Depends on the resolution, details, light and rain conditions, if you use 1 or 3 monitors, or VR, the headset, ...

9. Pales

Pales Registered

Well, I tested the game on a 23.5” monitor on the lowest settings and it still loads incredibly slowly. Something tells me it is also a limitation of the engine, surely? Or maybe a HDD does play a significant part as well. Either way, it is slow. I also have a 3930k processor.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

It's possible that the CPU has anytinng to do with the loading times.
    It's difficult to judge the term "incredibly slowly", because it's something subjective.
    It would be interesting to know the loading time of a car-track combo, with the lowest settings (what you use), in offline, and compare with other users.
    With this info we could know if the long loading time is general, or not.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm not certain, but isn't part of the load time used by verifying that the cars/track haven't been tampered with to ensure fairness during multiplayer and that the non-ISI games do not do this?

12. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

First time starting for the day for me:
    Launcher open = 39s
    Car/Track selection = 45s
    Track loading = 34s
    AA = level 5
    PP = Medium
    Graphics @ Max except Env reflection = low
    Game is on HDD
    Cars = 15 (Historic F3)
    Track = Brianza 10k

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Regarding the long load times, go to the Settings folder at \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings
    and do a search for .rcd
    If you have a lot of those rcd files I've heard they can slow loading times, so delete them.
    They are files received from online skin transfers which live in the car folders in the Settings folder.

14. Supa

Supa Registered

I had load times of around 3 mins for just getting in the game. Track load times werent too bad but Deleting my profile in My documents folder and allowing game to create new one fixed issue for me!!

15. Supa

Supa Registered

My load times now from game start are about 15-20 seconds. Really quick!

16. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Ha I remember gaming on my fathers C64 in the 1980s.
    You don't know long loading times until you've dealt with analogue medium tape.
    Yes we're 40 years away from that tech now but a minute or so is not unreasonable considering the depth of modern games.
    It's a good time to refresh the coffee or get up and stretch.

Alex72, Vanisch, MarcG and 2 others like this.
  17. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Yeah, a couple of minutes and I'm in the garage. No issue for me...Actually think it's gotten quicker lately and I've done nothing. Still have my original player folder. Will be migrating to an SSD soon though so that will speed it up.

18. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I had a Spectrum ZX with a cassette drive.

30 minute loading time, and then 9 times out of 10 it would crash! :D

Filip, Vanisch and Jason Mullin like this.
  19. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

I vividly remember the frustration of waiting for Outrun to load on my Atari 520ST :eek:

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

When I first loaded Le Mans with 59AI I had time to go to the kitchen, boil the kettle and make a cuppa tea, by the time I sat back down in my rig the track just finished loading.
    Of course I couldn't drink the tea as I had my VR headset on ready to drive, must get me one of those cooling straw devices!

Vanisch, jayarrbee36 and Jason Mullin like this.