¡Ay, ay, ay! AI API

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Seven Smiles, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Seeing all the never-ending complaints about AI, why not Open Source the problem? Provide an API (shared memory?) to control each AI car and let a new class of rF2 modders come up with their solutions. https://sourceforge.net/projects/torcs/ might make a good starting point. Conceptually, this API should be quite easy to provide...

An alternative hacker approach could be to have a local dedicated server and then have AI drive real cars (using keyboard controls maybe). The existing shared memory API gives all the feedback that's required. I'm not sure how that scales, and even whether it's possible to have more than one instance of rF2 running on a PC.

GeraArg and makan like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This sort of openness could solve a lot of problems. Unfortunately rF2 has recently been moving away from open modding, with poor support even for the released rules plugin (allowing control over penalties before they happen, for example), new track/car features or tech poorly documented if at all, on-screen drawing dropped completely with the move to dx11, etc.

On the other hand, the AI is already good in many ways. There are just gaps that need filling.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yeah, ai is good, but just needs these last two things fixing to really unlock the potential

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Good idea. Let's do S397's job, for free, so they can make more money.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@jpalesi I get it, but realistically we can see progress has been slow and limited in scope in rF2. If the goal is a better game for simracing I don't think we should rule out lending a hand for our own benefit. rF1 relied heavily on user additions and hardly became a cash cow - actually the best way to make money is have very pretty graphics and put a paint feature in the game so all the 13 year olds can show off their flashy cars. And if rF2 keeps only charging for DLC at least users are in control of the spend.

Emery and Seven Smiles like this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I was gonna say, with the exception of the URD stuff the community made stuff is free anyway.

7. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

AC works in this way, the base game is pretty bad...as well as content, modders have added a better UI, a weather system, Day/Night Cycle, improved sounds, onscreen hud elements, improved shaders and extra features..

I doubt Kunos sell anymore copies of the game because of this community work, but it has made the game better for everybody..

The AI (Absent Intelligence) in this game(rF2) really does need some work, so if the community can chip in and sort it why not let that happen?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The Content Manager brought some AI fixes I think. It seems better behaved now.