[REL] Realistic Gearshift - version 2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Seven Smiles, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

WARNING: Needs updating to latest pyinstaller to overcome its vulnerability GHSA-7fcj-pq9j-wh2r (if you want details: https://pyinstaller.readthedocs.io/en/v3.6/CHANGES.html) but at the moment there are errors in the build process so I haven't been able to make a new exe file. I don't think this is a particularly serious vulnerability in this case but it's up to you.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

As the thread old thread has got a bit confusing with the stuff about the two previous versions let's start afresh.

____________________________________________________________________________

Inspired by the "Grinding Tranny Mod" this monitors gears and clutch and if you try to change gear without pressing the clutch it sounds a graunching noise and prevents the gear being selected by repeatedly sends a "Neutral" key press to rFactor. It works with shifters or paddles.

It is usable now but I plan to add more to the gearbox and clutch model
    • to add damage
      • based on how poorly you change gears
      • plus "shit happens" random failures
      • having to retry a change because of damage
      • gears becoming not available so you'd have to go say 2nd to 4th
      • eventually complete failure
    • using the clutch and engine RPMs
      • to make further decisions on how good the change was
      • to allow for rev matching so you can change without using the clutch
    • double (de-)clutching - not sure why / what cars need that

Installing See the wiki

It's a Python script compiled into an exe. The source is there too for anyone nervous of downloading unknown exe files (you'll need Python 3 and PyGame)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Thanks seven smiles

This point could be very useful:
    • to allow for rev matching so you can change without using the clutch
    As i said in past, in f1 1967-1974 (and historic cars in general)
    As Silvio Moser's Mechanic told me, drivers of f1 top teams usually upshifting without clutch, simply lifting trottle.
    Sometimes even in downshifting

So... that could be a great addition

P. S. This is the man Beat Schenker http://www.silviomoser.ch/silviotie.htm
    And this is his answer to my question (in italian)

"per rispondere a questa domanda si dovrebbe andre a parlare con i singoli piloti o il loro staff di quelli anni.
    Sicuramente molti piloti usavano cambiare alla marcia superiore senza uso della frizione, e sicuramente qualcuno (anche per qualche problema tecnico) lo faveva anche cambiando verso la marcia piu bassa.
    Se hai la possibilita di guidare una vettura del passato senza sincronizzatore, puoi capire che non e' facile e i cambi di quel tempo volevano mani e piedi abbastanza sensibile per riuscirci.
    Silvio per la maggior parte usava la frizione, anche se dove la situazione lo permetteva a volte non la usava."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi @Seven Smiles , letting you know I joined a server just now and the program was picking up telemetry from a remote car (thanks again for the UI, which helped identify it). I am a version or two behind, but you might want to just check that you're pulling data from the player car as I doubt you've changed that code recently.

I'm reverting to an even older version so I can drive in the meantime :)

Seven Smiles likes this.
  4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Ah, thanks, I hadn't thought to test in multiplayer. I have added a couple of lines to find which shared memory buffer is the player's car.

5. softslider

softslider Registered

GREAT! :)

This version works well. I like the bite point setting as 20.

BTW when "reshift" feature will be available? I think it will be more realistic with reshift setting as 1 by default.

6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

d0nd33 likes this.
  7. elbo

elbo Registered

Does the shared memory problem persist. I am unable to get this to work.
    The Rfactor status window shows that rfactor is loaded and shared memory is working but the track loaded and on track button never get ticked when I go on track and the program does not work. I have crew chief -latest build- working so I assume the shared memory plugin is ok.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@elbo there hasn't been a new version released since the shared memory change.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

@Lazza, yes I saw the update, just can't get it to work. Not a big deal though since the non-memoryshare version works just fine.

thanks

10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Sorry, I'm spending less time playing rFactor than buggering about with this program (though that's not much time either). I have code which handles multiplayer and uses the new memory layout but I've managed to break another bit of the code somewhere along the way. I don't know whether to carry on pushing forwards trying to fix it or go backwards and add the new bits to the working version.

11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

https://github.com/TonyWhitley/gearshift/releases/tag/V3.0.65a
    (I upped the major version to 3 when I stripped out the non-shared memory code. I've left the post title as "Version 2" though)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    lbird likes this.
  12. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

It fails to run, I get:
    Code:
        File "wkinter\__init__.py", line 1868, in wm_iconbitmap
    _tkinter.TclError: bitmap "resources/gearshift.ico" not defined
    [2660] Failed to execute script gearshift

Seven Smiles likes this.
  13. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Wanderer, bears, d0nd33 and 2 others like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Nice, just tried it for first time, and it works nicely. Now all the smart guys who use this being absent in rF2 and not using clutch and Hshifter for that reason really looks stupid in my mind. :D

Windows defender wanted to warn me about this app, but I allowed trustfully. Why does windowndows defender pick on this ?

Speaking of double clutching. Assuming that it would work someday, how do you plan to make it work for appropriate cars ? Should a user manually enable double clutching before launchign game, or would the app figure it out somehow ?

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Windows Defender: I'm an "unknown publisher" so it's right to warn you.
    Double de-clutching: manually enabled, though the program knows "VehicleName" so it could have it's own list of cars and their gearbox parameters...

mantasisg likes this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The main problem with this mod is that I often forget to launch it before game, I guess just something to get used to.

To be honest at first I did not find much difference, I always used clutch and shifter anyway and I just never did a mistake... but later as I kept pushing cars harder to the limit, I started to depress clutch too early or too late, causing mis-shifting, and without this mod I would have never realised that I fail there.

memoNo1 and Seven Smiles like this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Ah you need something else I'm working on...
    rFactorySneakPreview.jpg

atomed, memoNo1, makan and 1 other person like this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Are you making some kind of mini launcher ? :) I guess would help not to forget to run gearbox application.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I found when I first started using it I quite often had bad shifts (bear in mind I've only really driven autos since I got my license), over months I've got much better at it. But when really pushing for laptimes, or in the heat of battle, I still mess up sometimes :D (But I've also become very quick at correcting it: hitting the clutch, into neutral, and back into gear again!)

memoNo1 and Seven Smiles like this.
  20. jual

jual Registered

I have used this program for a while but for a short time it does not work anymore, the only thing I hear is the grinding.
    Anybody an idea what happens or find the mistake ?