ISI Content with the new competition system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remco Majoor, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

So, I've been writing down all the official rF2 content, just to see where were would be standing content wise for the upcoming competition system. I searched in the workshop for the rF2 content, and the paid items. I noticed though, that after I filled everything in, I was still missing a lot of tracks and cars.

So here is the catch. A lot of workshop items (which I think are official rF2 content), are still under the name of ISI. Now this gave me a question. Is this still official rF2 content? Or is this content you don't have licenses for? Will this be used in the official competition system?

Now we have a lot of good modded content as well, will you use that in the competition system? Or will licensing issues prevent that?

2. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

It’s official, it just hasn’t been updated since ISI days. It makes it easier to know what has been updated. By default, one is not subscribed to ISI content, but if it updated, it should be moved to S397 content in the workshop

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To my knowledge, no cars created by ISI and taken over by S397 are really up to date physics level, everything is very old.

No new tire models or even the first tire model reviewed by S397 about two years ago, most do not have flex chassis, et cetera.

Everyone does not have my opinion on the subject and I respect it, but I think it's a real shame that S397 is not updated all these cars at the physics level (tires, chassis flex, ... ), which nevertheless constitute a solid base.

New rF2 users do not usually buy DLCs (almost the only cars up to date), so they test old cars not at all up-to-date, or modded content almost always less good than S397 content :

Their experience does not match : so because their experience is not at all optimal, they go back to iRacing/PC2/AC et cetera ..........

Well done !

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I wish they update one of my favorite cars the Z370 GT4. Now it’s outdated graphically and it hasn’t been updated to the new tire model... rfactor2 should add some GT4 class, Porsche Cup category........

5. Binny

Binny Guest

since the UI has taken so long i am hoping this will all be done at the same time. only time will tell.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Hold your breath waiting for the old ISI cars to get updates. Then have your widow send me your system.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  7. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Do not you think these updates are relevant and necessary ?

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The licenses may have expired, so they may not even be allowed to re-release things.

dazzer likes this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I find it really bad.

If some licenses have expired, then I understand.

But why leave quality content ("old ISI"), which could be sublimated simply by the addition of flex chassis + latest model of tires ?

We can speculate, but S397 has never really answered about the update on the physics part (tire model, flex chassis ...), they just updated the graphics part, which is not the essential (IMO).

But how can you be sure that these updates will not be made unless you have links to S397 (@graphicaluserinterface)?

I would love to know once and for all, even if it is not.

I hope for these updates since 2 years, I prefer to know now even if it is no.

@Marcel Offermans

There is no criticism on my part, just a little disappointment.

The S397 car content is of incredible quality.

Once again, I find it unfortunate that the new users of rF2 will have to use primarily cars not updated (physics), the best being the DLC and some free cars created in the last 2 years.

It does not give the best image of rF2, I'm afraid ...

David Kolody likes this.
  10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

The reason is that, unfortunately it's not that simple. I'm not an expert, but for instance to update tires they have to change many other things, tune, re-test a car etc. Otherwise car's physic will be most probably broken. So it's not just a matter of generating new tires with tTool or simply swapping to new ones. It's not that modular.
    Besides it's not that previous tire models, even pre-CPM where bad and cars that use them are unrealistic. I believe Automoblisista basicaly uses old rF1 tire model, but handling is still quite realistic (by some even considered one of the best). Also I'm not sure how important and is chassis flex, is it really that noticeable?
    Don't get me wrong I also would like best possible physics and asked modders about their plans on updating tire model. For instance Apex Modding initially wasn't so keen on updating to latest CPM in their GT3 mod, because it was already tuned, comprehensively tested and BoP-ed. They eventually updated it, but for instance URD still didn't in their Ford GTE(although it was announced).

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is a wish that I have long since for the "old'good ISI cars", for the realism and the improvement of the FFB/driving experience.

I do not mind if S397 does not do it, but the only thing I would like is for them to say it at last, so that we move on to something else ...

... Which would avoid having to talk about it all again, every 6 months.

12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I wouldn't count on it, it's a matter of spending (limited) resources and they seem to have other priories. Too bad simracing is a niche market. Some time ago I saw video which summed up number of game copies sold rF2: 60k copies. AC: 500k, Gran Turismo 4: 17.8M:
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Gran_Turismo

13. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

There are different sale numbers comming from different sources. But yes, anyway at steamspy rf2 have as many players as My summer car( 1 man's project)

In case of GTSport: it have working competition system. One of the best atm (from 2 titles lol)

14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I don't think competition system has big impact on sales. Console players are not that serious competitive simmers.
    Besides I believe GT4 and GT5 didn't have competition system, but sold ~17M copies each.

15. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Gt4 and 5 had single player campaign no?
    I think you need sp campaign or easy to use multiplayer to make title popular. Take a look at pcars2 as an example(at steamcharts). Not as popular as gt sport but pcars2 is in 1 ballpack with codies for sure.
    Also i never tried to play rfactor2 with gamepad :) Gamepad support does matter too.

16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I think FailRace uses gamepad to play rF2

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.