AI Driver Bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colinL, Jun 2, 2019.

1. colinL

colinL Registered

Hey,
    I've been doing a 24h race, started it yesterday, everything went to plan up into the night. Did another stint and then after pitting gave the control to the AI. So far so good, woke up this morning and the car was shutdown in the garage. The icon for low fuel was showing and I was first like ok, probably ran out of fuel (even though why should he, pitting is not a problem for them). Then tried to take over control of the car, everything more or less fine, there was enough fuel in the tank to do another lap, tyres were quite scrubbed down, here and there some damage to the body, but I was able to drive the car into the pits again and do a regular pitstop by myself. I drove the car out of the pit, wanted to give the AI the control again and he drives about 50m, then pulls over to the right and just comes to a standstill and stays there. So, what exactly happened? Did he have a crash in the night and the car was supposed to be retired? Was it really a bug, which would explain to me why he pulled over to the right?
    If someone can shine some light on this, I'd appreciate it :)

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I haven't done a 24hr AI race with rF2, my last try at that was with GTR2. Do the AI co-drivers really come in without your input? In GTR2 if you just pressed the I key, two things happened: 1. AI would continue to drive until they ran out of gas. 2. Pressing I does not assign the rcd file(at least in GTR2) so that the AI driven car is often faster than the rest of the AI cars. The only way to get the AI drivers to drive the proper pace AND come in for fuel when the tank is dry, was to change to the 2nd driver using the pit-board while in the pits. AFAIK, that 2nd method does not work in rF2.

3. colinL

colinL Registered

They do indeed come in by themselves. Thats why I'm a bit baffled as to what happened...

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What track was this on? It could be an issue with the track (possibly) or some other issue.
    Be wary that the AI Controlled Human Car is generally slower than the rest of the field/class, think of him as a Gentleman Driver :)

5. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

Well. One important thing is, to set the number of pitstops to only "1", and full fuel load of course. Maybe it has something to do with that.
    Otherwise its maybe an issue with the track

6. colinL

colinL Registered

Ok, I was driving on the 2017 Le Mans Track http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=4686.0 ... Its just strange that the AI driver did drive pretty OK before that. I was driving from 15:00-16:30, toggled the AI and only took over at 22:00 again, in the meantime everything went fine and he did the pitstops as intended. Car was the URD PX Shiro (Nissan GT-R LM). On the other hand I've just seen that Studio 397 seems to be releasing a laser scanned Circuit de la Sarthe in the near future, so maybe this won't be that much of a problem in the future. I've set the number to pitstops to one and also full fuel load. Very strange. Maybe he binned it somewhere in the night and "retired" because the damage was too big to fix or something (doesn't match that I was able to drive out of the garage and do another lap and then a full pitstop though)

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is a race reporting app out there, (name escapes me at the moment) that should list the reason for retirement.
    Almost always we suggest S397 cars & tracks for debugging purposes but for now we can skip that. If this was repeatable at Silverstone or Sebring with the GTE cars, then it would suggest a core problem as opposed to a track or modded car issue.

8. colinL

colinL Registered

Well, I'll try again in the future, maybe the car really retired and the AI was in retirement "I just crashed" mode..