Latest Roadmap Update - May 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 31, 2019.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Your impression of leagues is dated and totally wrong lm older no doubt and busier than you but can join a local league race 5 nights a week with good fields , invalid points again on your behalf.. still moving on

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, I wish people would stop spreading that myth about leagues, so annoying

bwana likes this.
  3. williang83

williang83 Registered

Ok I'll give it a another try. Any imsa/wec league for europe time zone to suggest?

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

5. Pales

Pales Registered

Great roadmap in respect of lemans, but how are we going to play that offline when the AI get stuck in a slip stream? Listen to your fanbase before it is too late...

PirroC likes this.
  6. williang83

williang83 Registered

I have just checked these two links waiting for something different from what i have said, since i've been accused of spreading lies and having an old point of view, fine! Checked them only to find out that just like i said there is ONE single race event, unless i failed to comprehend their schedule, and it is either hit or miss so which bring me to the same point.

I have no interest on committing to something that i must schedule my whole real life to follow it, geez christ this is an hobby not the other way around. Instead i want something that i have more than one race event and i can take part of any of them whenever i want, if i miss that...no worry in 30, 60, 120 or whatever mins there is another event, which is something that competition want to offer and those leagues i know simply DO NOT!

If you have any league to suggest that fulfill that requirement then fine we met MY requirements otherwise those who don't are USELESS for my needing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  7. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

So there's a building sense of frustration here on multiple fronts with rF2 and what needs to be developed to satisfy the diverse needs of racers. At the current time, this consists of two parts: first is that any developments for MP, and SP for things like offline championships and seasons are locked up behind the UI work which is terribly delayed and no end in sight; second is development of the core simulator which would include improving physics (wet tracks, tires) and also AI. There doesn't seem to be any issue which would stop developments of the latter, and yet we aren't seeing anything there either. All we are getting is content, and especially content to match the latest graphics enhancements is still having issues.

If you are a MP online racer, there are probably a couple of use cases. First is that you want to be able to do "pickup racing", which I mean by this the ability to race at a time when you have availability that you weren't able to determine in advance. When you are a busy person, you want to race when you can, at a moments notice. Others are better able to plan their time ahead and join scheduled events. In my case, as a busy person, I can't really make any time during a week night to do a race, but I can schedule a Saturday morning and I can plan my weekend around that "race time" to do the other things I want/need to do. Now, this is by no means the only use case out there and therefore we have to have mechanisms to cater for many types. Traditionally, I would be a good candidate for a league given I can find one that races at the time I schedule my availability with the type of cars/tracks/event durations I like. Finding one of those is an extremely difficult task; there's no central directory to look up. Leagues may advertise in a few places but many also like to keep quiet and you have to be invited to join by someone already affiliated with them (because they want to keep standards up or whatever). For more of the arrive-and-drive type, I am sure there are "leagues" that do that because they schedule races every day, but I would not consider them traditional leagues.

The problem at the moment, is that S397 have only told us they are developing some underlying features, but have given us almost no detail about what those features are. None. I feel like screaming at Marcel to actually tell us, and even in the threads that have been created to discuss this, he refuses to answer and does more teasing and "maybes". Are S397 going to offer an "arrive-and-drive" style MP system where they host the servers? No answer. Are they going to support a centralized directory of leagues so we can go and find one? No answer. Note that in both of these cases, iRacing DOES provide such solutions. So far, the only things we can definitively say about what S397 will do is specific competitions like McLaren Shadow. We still don't understand what capabilities they have been for external parties (leagues, or others) to build similar competitions or championships that they provide the host servers for. Having shown the "default matchmaker" UI having had zero capability adding to it in last month's Roadmap, at least this time we got an update that they are building stuff around it for whether there are AI on the servers and such; but its still as such a limited state of development, I can't see them supporting more complex scenarios there without venturing into a completely different mode; it doesn't satisfy arrive-and-drive as-is and is miles away from doing so.

Anyone who wants to play SP, at the moment they can enjoy the driving (good physics) and graphical immersion is improving. But I'm not sure it gives a great experience racing the AI. The AI isn't worse than other games, but there's so many problems with it as already explained by other posters in this thread. There's never been any commitment in a Roadmap about what the plan is here. The other things SP players want, is championships/career modes etc. and whilst there have been teases and hints that we might get this at some point, again there are no commitments. Anything around that is locked up in the new UI.

So it's about choices: where do I want to invest my time? I could use many different simulators that satisfy my different use cases, and many do, but that seems like a bit of a waste. So I might compromise in one area to get a greater range of capability important to me. Right now, there's nothing to compete in MP with iRacing; if you want to do that, go there is my advice but understanding what you are committing do if you do. You can get MP here with rF2 if you can find the right hosters/leagues, but that take a lot of work and investigation to find a match (and the same needed if you use AC or PCARS2, the latter offering more pre-planned competitions). If you are SP, there's now many titles that match rF2 and that maybe offer more depth in a specific niche (ACC) or breadth (PCARS2) at a loss of some physics/driving side. None offer great AI; and iRacing are about to release theirs in the coming months. rF2's in a bit of a box in both areas right now.

Anto870 and williang83 like this.
  8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I think SP should look for a specialized product for one series, say F1 or one GT product. Because I think it´s nearly impossilbe to build AI Code that works for all kind of (3P) cars in combinations with (3P) tracks. Usually a track has one AI line somehow, that works Maybe for a usf2000 but will not work well for a highdownforce lmp1 nor a muscle car. Even if there are Adjustment parameters in the car models to adjust for the car performance, I seriously doubt that AI Code can cover all variations well. Humans can adopt, so I recommend to race online.
    And I never will let me drive automatically in real life btw.!

9. Paweł Andrzejewski

Paweł Andrzejewski Registered

Thanks for another update about what's going on. Seeing frustration in this thread, why don't you make progress even more transparent? I mean, I would rather see table like Trello with percentage progress or checklist over given subject. I think this would give us more information about what are you focused on right now but on the other side some people will try to pressurize you and insist doing things which are not prioritezed.

10. dbell76

dbell76 Registered

Fantastic stuff.....Laserscanned Lemans:cool:

11. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Having been playing just acc lately and desperately trying to enjoy it, coming back to rf2, and even pc2, feels so nice. There is lot to improve in rf2, but this is good starting point since the driving part works so well. Just hoping they get more people to work on rf2 to speed up the development.

Edit: The lack of satisfaction from acc was pretty much entirely because of the video lag it has when using screen. Didn't have that in vr-mode.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's the exact kind of bullshit I wish people would stop saying about leagues. Dude... I managed and assisted with league management, I spent a lot of time doing it (and it's not worth doing really) and I never had to schedule my whole life to follow it, let alone the average joe that just have to log in and drive (and proceed to give admins a headache after every race). If that's what you do to race a league then you need to review your whole life.

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I won't even go to the "you should join a league" discussion. There are multiple reasons why some prefer SP, one being freedom to choose the car I want, in the track i want, when i want and for as long as I want.

I've spent countless hours during the past couple of years improving my own SP experience......1) modifying multiple AIW files in 3rd party tracks, 2) creating and testing virtual drivers with talent files in multiple cars and organizing multiple championships in Excel (DTM, GT3, WEC, etc...).
    All this has improved my enjoyment significantly, but then you find your experience ruined by gaining 6-12 places out of nowhere because of AI pitting for no reason, or if you're in a LMP2, because your opponents get stuck behind GT3's for an entire lap.
    I don't even bother enabling Flags since a FCY bug made my race useless, same as I won't bother racing under rainy conditions as I've heard countless times AI has no idea what to do.

That's seriously all I could think when I read about LeMans. It will be a waste of what I'm sure will be a great rendition of an iconic track especially because of the inlap bug and yet we've keep hearing about this great competition system and UI for endless 2 years and nothing on AI fixes.

Tech G, Mibrandt, Akela_DE and 4 others like this.
  14. williang83

williang83 Registered

People like you really struggle to understand why a very expensive service, because you don't own anything, and far from perfect like iRacing is so successful. There any many reason but one of those is the flexibility in which race event you want to take part and when. Having the rigid "well the race is at X time and either join or miss it and remind to commit and be here at X every weekend" is a very old and LUDICROUS mentality. Even more calling those who do not support that system average joe just because they cannot/want to commit to a league like some sort of pseudo pro, so silly! I mean i would understand taking part of an special and limited worldwide event race which requires to follow strict schedule but damn any organized race must be treated as a sort of special event? naive!

Having multiple session for the same race event is a game changer which is why no matter how cheap and free of fees a league can be, some people will still prefer a more expensive but still polished and flexible system even at cost of giving up a bit of physics realism.

If others league managers share the same rigid mentality then enjoy your league, i have no interest on it...and i'm definitely not in the minority otherwise leagues would be the top notch standard and selling point of MP racing games which is not.

Luckily 397 do not share the same ideas and indeed want to offer a solution much closer to iRacing flexibility, if only they do not take so long.

UPDATE: to add another piece of information, this is more because you sound like league is the answer to all MP problems and who care if it is inflexible, you should just embrace it and be happy...silly

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh I totally get why iR is successfull and I'm all for a official comeptition system. But the whole thing about leagues people like to spread is pure myth. And I say this as somone that managed leagues and when I stopped I went back to simply being an active driver (just like I was before managing stuff), I can confirm from all PoVs: a myth, a very bs one :)
    I want the official comp system because devs dont give a shit about league admins, none of them ever did and this suck.

16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I have only been there for 3 months, but you speak to me from my Sim soul. At the moment, it's just not worth the job to put a lot of work into RF2. AIW, Talent Files, Championships about the DevMod .. unfortunately .

fsuarez79 likes this.
  17. svictor

svictor Registered

Great news on lemans, definitely a dream come true.

With the recent rushed releasing of acc, me and many of our league racers actually noticed & appreciated a lot of good aspects from rfactor2 (we have just done a 6H race for the first time in rf2, amazing experience, even though it's not perfect). And imo, rf2 isn't dated at all, it has still got a lot of potential. Hope that 397 will be able to improve and deliver a much better rf2 that everyone is eagerly waiting for.

Tech G, F1 2004, Levelup1 and 9 others like this.
  18. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Le Mans is cool although a tough track to run because of its length.

I’d like to see them fix some issues with their paid content but that doesn’t seem to be happening and the AI isn’t great right now either.

I had hope for this sim but I can’t put anymore money until I see a commitment to quality.

19. Binny

Binny Guest

A few ppl talking about updates and content. yes more content makes $$ & that's a good thing. I suspect that behind the new UI will come some changes in areas that we will not be expecting. as we all know its been 2 yrs but im sure their is so much more behind the scenes going on that has not been made transparent. time will tell.

20. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I suspect that the slow development of UI and other things is just because of the smallness of the development team, and we are not going to get anything earth-shattering even tough it has been a long wait.