limited flatspots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rony1984, May 31, 2019.

1. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Hi all,

I noticed that with the newer cars the effect of flatspots is greatly reduced. I can remember some changelogs of cars which mentioned this. I think that the effect is too small atm. I drove one of the GTE cars at Bathurst the other day, spun a few times with fully locked tires and could drive on without any problem. There was just the faintest hint of a flatspot.

I'm afraid this was done because of all the people with gear-driven wheels complaining about the rattling. In my opinion the effect as it is currently takes away from the realism of the game.

How do you guys feel about this?

2. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

What wheel are you using Rony ? , I never noticed this — maybe because I use DD wheel .

Will have to test this tonight.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  3. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

a t500, 0 filter, which also rattles considerably with flatspotted tires. Try a GTE and then compare with an older car.

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Well Spotted .

Yes you are correct ,flat spot has greatly reduced...............for GT3 make sure in garage settings...... in some of the GT3 car setups lower abs and traction control...... after a few laps abusing front tyres it rattles my fillings out ,lol .
    GTE , very hard to flat spot front tyres , this is strange I think .

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Remember that flatspots are a direct consequence of physical tyre wear, so the only way to reduce them is to reduce the wear on the tyres. You can do this when modding a car, but we would need confirmation of that actually being intentional when the car is being made - if we assume they model the tyres accurately the wear rate should be something close to realistic, unless they are making an explicit attempt to reduce the effect of flatspots.

Re car upgrades, searching the news section did bring up a note mentioning that the F2 2012 front tyre flatspots were reduced. We don't know what is and isn't correct, but we should be able to fairly safely assume the wear rates they use generally are quite realistic. Otherwise there's not so much point in licensing real content.