CPU not seems enough powerfull in VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DrivingFast, May 23, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello,

How to see CPU consumption in VR rF2, ctrl + c does not work (work for screen).

By the way, can you tell me which graphical options use the most CPU ?

I think there are shadows, what else is there ?

I think my CPU is limited for VR if I want to use ~50 AI, at Sebring for example.

i7 4770K not OC

Thank you.

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

That is not enabled at the moment in VR. You will need to use an external app or check task manager.

DrivingFast likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Christopher Elliott

Thank you.

Can I also ask you to answer me regarding the following thing please concerning the other thing :

--> Which graphical options use the most CPU ? "

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Are you using 50 visible AI ?

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

lol..!!

No.
    9 before and now 6 ;)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try putting everything on minimum (graphics) and see what your performance is like. If your CPU can't do that well enough to make VR smooth you can stop worrying about the settings.

PS Presuming the reason your CPU is struggling is because it's only 4 cores, any normal CPU usage view should be fine. It's not the rF2 cores specifically that are the issue. Number of AI will perhaps have less effect (on this issue) than they would in a normal CPU limited situation.

DrivingFast likes this.
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 uses about 2.5 threads efficiently and another five or so threads with low usage. I recently found a way to measure this using a tool called "process explorer". The threads that the app uses are then assigned to CPU cores by Windows own algorithms. So you might not even have 100% load on any one core in Afterburner or Windows explorer, but still be CPU limited. This is something I just recently learned. Even if the program is single threaded, Windows tries to "balance" the load between all cores, but obviously the gain from doing it isn't that much.

The second way to know if you're CPU limited is to check GPU usage and see if it's below 100%. I agree with Lazza that it's likely not an AI issue, the AI/physics thread is using the same amount of CPU power in VR as in non-VR. But the graphics thread is quite a bit more loaded in VR and those 50 AI cars are all rendered on the graphics thread, so in that way it can impact the CPU load.

EsxPaul likes this.