Did some things get fixed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, May 21, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The GT3 Calloway Corvette had some magical attraction to tire walls. I could slam or gently kiss a tire will with the rear of the car and it would be stuck, attached to the tires. Exterior views would show the rear tires spinning and trying to propel the car, but it would remain stuck until you hit exit and returned to the garage.
    My most recent drive at Atlanta MP, however, I failed to get stuck to the tires. Oh yes I hit the tires and made sure after that I backed in, but I was able to drive away. Did the Calloway get fixed so it wouldn't get stuck on tire walls?
    Next.
    Also at Atlanta MP(an official S397 track btw) There was a shadow that lurked behind the armco as you drove out of the pits. The shadow would race ahead of you on the left, filling in behnd the gaps in the armco with black.
    There was a discussion about this and other shadow issues last year I think. While trying the above test, I looked at the armco and could not see any hint of a black rectangle extending ahead of my car(partially obscurred by the armco) Did this get fixed? (or have my shadow settings changed?)
    I did do a full un-install/re-install of rF2 recently so I am wondering if I just had a bugged version for a long long time or has the S397 team been tackling issues behind our backs?

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think this is at a wrong subforum.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Write or Rong forum, sorry if I did. But I've at least confirmed the Wing getting stuck to the tires has been corrected. I went to several tracks where I have gotten stuck in the past and I was able to drive away from each spot I tried. Shadows? still looking into that.

4. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

My old installation(from december '17) was bugged after all those updates too. After a fresh one, a few things were working better. And I got rid of the 3 Zandvoort subfolders, with the different layouts spread over, that I had before. But I still can't play anymore with vsync on @60hz triples. Have to go without vsync now. Although I think (and hope) this has to do something with the whole process of switching to pbr-shaders mentioned by S397.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you sure your graphics settings are the same? I run at a steady 60Hz on triples with a 1070ti, though I probably don't have the settings too high either. So my contribution is pretty much useless, but I still wonder if you haven't changed something without realising it.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

In the "old days" almost everyone went quite happily to the config files to tweak performance, quality or FFB, maybe then we forgot those files, but sure RF2 did not, so, more easy than not at some point we harmed our installations. A Clean install and stop messing with the files is a good starting point. In all honesty, since S397 took over, I never had to tweak some config files, except to set a maximum framerate.

MarcG likes this.
  7. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Haven´t changed anything when it happened. Maybe there was a gpu driver update. I still wonder if I have changed something without realising it, but meanwhile there aren´t many possibilities left.

My old settings were:

-in rflauncher:
    Res: 5910*1080
    Mode: Fullscreen
    AA: off
    PP: medium
    FXAA: on
    Multi Monitor: on
    Sync: GPU

-in rf2 options:
    circuit detail: full
    player detail: full
    opp. detail: high
    texture detail: full/max/ultra
    texture filter: x16
    special fx: full
    shadows: medium
    shadow blur: off
    soft particles: max
    raindrops: yes
    rain quality: medium
    road reflection: high
    environment reflection: high
    visible vehicles: 12
    auto detail fps: off

head movement: off

FPS limit: 60

Sebring was running with 60+ fps even at night/low sun. Then suddenly not anymore and I tested everything to get back over 60 fps:
    -all vsync modes
    -all screen modes
    -pp: off
    -aa: off
    -fxaa: off

-in rf2 options:
    tried everything, even all on low

-player.json:
    tried different rearview_back_clip, texture sharpening, max_headlights, etc. settings.
    Also tried with old and new generated .json files.
    FPS limiter: 60,61,83

-nvconfig:
    all possible configs

Never got back to a steady minimum of 60 fps with vsync.

After that, I tested with a fresh install and a few different settings without a big change. Was better then, but still no 60+fps.

Now I have to use this:

-in rflauncher:
    Res: 5910*1080
    Mode: Fullscreen
    AA: off
    PP: low
    FXAA: on
    Multi Monitor: on
    Sync: none

-in nvconfig:
    vsync off

-in rf2 options:
    circuit detail: high
    player detail: full
    opp. detail: med /with texture overrun set for max. textures in player.json
    texture detail: full/max/ultra
    texture filter: x16
    special fx: full
    shadows: high
    shadow blur: off
    soft particles: max
    raindrops: yes
    rain quality: medium
    road reflection: low
    environment reflection: low
    visible vehicles: 12
    auto detail fps: off

FPS limit: 60 in .json
    +scanline sync in RTSS to reduce tearing
    Works now without any sync stuttering.

Had steady 60fps even with full circuit detail, but with Zandvoort I had to lower it to high. Perhaps I need to make a fresh win10 install.
    What are your graphic settings? You run with vsync?

8. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

@Lazza
    I think I found out whats my issue. When I was testing all the different graphics settings, I was too lazy to wait for the long loading times and using Bridgehampton instead of Sebring, because I had the same stuttering in darkness/low sun there even though I thought its a performance lighter track than Sebring. But it seems it isnt...at least for me.
    I found it always strange that FPS were dropping below 60 there, even on lowest settings. Now Sebring and Zandvoort are fine (even on higher settings and with full scenery), but Bridgehampton has still the issue and it's at certain parts of the track. For example at the t1 downhill part behind the bridge. Can you or someone else with triples test with your normal graphics settings please? (start of race/after 9pm/12 AI) Would really like to know if its happening to others too. And if so, I will post it in the Bridgehampton thread. It's one of my all-time favourite tracks and it would be nice if they can fix it.
    Best regards,
    Juwe

EDIT: I was using S397s GTEs for testing

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019