Tire heat mostly on the inside now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda Santini, May 20, 2019.

1. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Hey!

I've owned rFactor 2 since ~mid 2017 and tire heat spread has been uniform since then, meaning the tires were consistently pink all throughout the lap if my camber was set correctly.

I've been away from sim racing in general for about 6 months, and last week I re-installed rFactor 2.

I started playing a few days ago and noticed that heat was mostly concentrated around the inside of the tires. I said "ok, could be a tire model change, let's decrease camber from 4 to 1.5 and see what gives".
    But no, it doesn't change much of the heat of my tires.

You can see it HERE after a few corners where I pushed the tires pretty hard.
    And HERE, showing that even after a few laps the heat is still mostly around the inside.

And HERE is a video of it.

I wasn't able to see any difference in corner speed, but the fact that heat distribution changed is something I want to know more about. Is it a problem with my install or is that happening for you too?

Thanks.

2. AlenC

AlenC Registered

I always have to lower the camber from the default setup and I do notice a change in grip and heat when cornering.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

What car? In some cars (like Formula Renault 3.5 2014) the outside part is the hottest, no matter the camber...

4. bummer115

bummer115 Registered

Are the tires over inflated?

5. Amanda Santini

Almost all of them.
    And it's pretty hard to get any heat after e.g. 5 laps. It used to be easy to put heat into medium tires after those many laps.

Most cars bellow had their camber reduced. Some were at minimum, some went from 3.5 to 2.5 or less.

Clio Cup: https://i.imgur.com/mRhgt50.jpg
    Radical Non-GT3: https://i.imgur.com/gTUtCke.jpg
    AMG GT3: https://i.imgur.com/wtVFH14.jpg
    Porsche 911 RSR: https://i.imgur.com/i4ypwNc.jpg
    Callaway Corvette C7R: https://i.imgur.com/VvGI8rN.jpg
    Callaway Corvette C7R while coming out of Stavelot 2 https://i.imgur.com/OiYDmUG.jpg

I chose Spa for testing because it's a very well balanced track, while e.g. Silverstone stresses mostly the left tires.

6. Amanda Santini

The problem to me then becomes too much heat on the outer portion of the contact patch, as you can see on the image above where I come out of Stavelot 2. It used to be that heat was pretty even across the tire when coming out of corners. This does happen with more negative camber, but then you can see that the tires just stay cold for some reason, except for the inner part again.

7. Amanda Santini

No, they're actually under inflated.

8. Amanda Santini

As you can all see on the images, the tires lose heat extremely quickly for some reason, in addition to the first problem.
    Sometimes almost 2 degrees per second.

9. AlenC

AlenC Registered

I just watched the video, and it seems normal to me. If you have negative camber, tires will heat up more on the inside on the straights. I aim to have even distribution of heat on outside tires during cornering.
    Also, rapid heating and cooling is to be expected as workload is shifting. Especially outer front tire can heat up drasticaly when weight is transfered to it while cornering and braking.
    Now, I base this on my experience in other sims, especially AMS, as I don't know how real cars behave. So please correct me if I'm wrong...

David O'Reilly likes this.
  10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The video seems to me pretty correct.
    On straights the inside edge runs hotter, mid corner the car rolls onto the o/s wheel and the temp spread is more even (which is the job of camber).
    Not sure which of the 3 rubber depths is shown by the temp display (ok its not core). The surface layer will heat and cool very quickly as friction and air flow impact it.

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yeah, the temperature variation seem correct to me, but the outside temperature hotter than inside even during cornering, sorry but i don't... it's common sense, when you have EXTREME camber how can a tire be hottest on the outside of the tire than the inside? Not what i usually see irl racing tires, that the inside to the middle of the tire is destroyed and the outside is almost intact...

This behaviour makes it almost impossible to set the camber of the car correctly, only looking at live temperatures or in the garage values...

Also, tires aren't affected with the track temperature changes and pressure seems to have little to no effect...

Another thing they should look at imo...

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Rui Santos You're saying the tyre should be hottest on the inside? It is in that video.

The outside of the tyre will tend to build more during cornering.

Rui Santos likes this.
  13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I know, that doesn't make sense when you have high camber values... even if the outside part of the tire gets hotter, the inside should be allways higher than the outside, because of the contact part, the inside is more in contact with the track than the outside, this is common sense...

What we see is temperatures like 150(O)-145(M)-135(I) in a high camber wheel, guess this doesn't make sense...

I think track temperature and how it influences tires, aswell as pressures need a deep look at. This is a must when you're gonna have a new UI and (i hope) changing conditions and needing to adapt to them. A track with a temperature of 15ºC is not the same as a track with a temp of 45ºC. Right now it's allways the same which kills realism a bit IMO...

[​IMG]

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  14. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Where do you see in latest tires temps higher on the outside? Maybe 3p tire models? Usf2000 is off but uses outdated, totally incorrect model, like all models before they introduced new ones since... 1 year?
    Else you can easily get outside hotter by sliding and this is imo a flaw even in latest tires / model. The Deformation raises in a slide even with less grip and thus less force now, compared to your point of maximum grip

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I was replying to your post in terms of the posts just above it. I can see that in the context of the OP what you're saying is relevant. Indeed it doesn't 'seem' right that a tyre with camber does get hotter on the outside overall (in particular cars), it's always hard to be 100% sure with different cars but the variation is interesting.

You'd expect optimum camber to end up somewhere between the maximum camber-thrust mid corner, and flat mid corner (allowing for more contact in a straight line). It seems unlikely you'd gain on most tracks by having so little camber that it punishes you in the corners (and heats the outside edge) just so you can get more grip in the early traction and braking zones. Either way you'd expect setup maximum camber to heat the inside.

Narrowbackwing and Rui Santos like this.
  16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Exactly, as it's logic i guess...

17. dylbie

dylbie Registered

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

We don't know the camber used or pressure, but yeah, as we can see inside part is allways the hottest part, no doubt...

19. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

The inside is always the hottest. Except on ovals ?

20. Amanda Santini

OK so I guess my older installs were botched in some way? Or S397 changed the tire model since 6 months or so?
    Because as previously mentioned, I was able to keep all 4 tires with a uniform pink color, even while turning. Now obviously they would get red and even yellow sometimes (if the turn was too extreme) but still they used to come out pretty uniformly in terms of heat.

Either way it's good to know it's correct for me now.