We need a new Zandvoort!!!! !! !!!! !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, May 19, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Zandvoort will see at least 4 corners reconfigured to encourage overtaking by F1 drivers according to this interview.
    So forget about the purple tarmac or the 120% maniacs. Get crackin' on the NEW Zandvoort!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think they should rely on the short pitlane and extra pitstops to perhaps mix up strategies, and leave the track alone until at least 2021 when we can see if they make proper changes (to F1) to encourage closer running. It seems unlikely the track changes being talked about will help much.

On the other hand, it's not just F1 that struggles with passing at that track, and looking at the track it's not surprising. So perhaps they need bigger changes if they want to encourage better racing generally.

Bit worried about the language - more fluid? Less stop-start? That's exactly how you discourage passing. You need stop-start corners after fast straights, but that stop-start corner needs enough room for multiple lines - so someone defending can lose out on exit. Otherwise it will be a procession with the occasional blocking move.

(not that every track needs 6 passing opportunities; but at least 1 would be good)

David O'Reilly and davehenrie like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think it is more like you wish already, rather than we need it ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!1111!!!! 111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dislike F1 a lot, and it's nature that passing can only happen at braking or literally while drag racing. I don't think tracks should be butchered to fit such racing.

So it did sound weird to me too, that the plans are to make the chicane more flowing, as F1 cars are basically against the flowing tracks :D

Alex72, davehenrie and jayarrbee36 like this.
  4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

My thoughts exactly, big braking zones mean passing chances.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yep, now people complain there are too many 90 degree corners.

You wanted overtaking, this is how you get it.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

ooooooor instead of building the tracks of a set of 80-280-80 strips, the formulas of the proper RACING cars could be reconsidered

it is just strange that the plans about the chicane does not fit that :D

Quite sad about the last turn, always has been very exciting turn, very difficult to chose apexes well and carry the most possible speed. With heavier banking it will be less exciting.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Well I agree with posts above we don't NEED a new Zandvoort, at least not one that completely replaces the old layout in the game, as it's rather likely that the new layout will drive worse as a consequence of the changes that F1 requires to it. What those changes are about is basically to improve safety and overtaking. Safety is irrelevant in sim racing and overtaking is already more possible than in real life as we can play a bit more with the dirty air levels.

8. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Whatever happened to " This is the track, you figure out how to run on it"? You get good engineers, a good driver, a good setup and now you can drive the track. Engineers that can figure out how to do it, a driver that is good enough to adapt to the track, then make a setup that can drive well there.

Now we get, "We can't drive our car on that track, it's not designed to drive like that" "My driver can't figure out how to drive it" Change your track!

I always thought that the test of auto racing was to figure out how to get your car to work on the track. Remember when racing was done on real roads? Manufacturers would be able to show how well they could design and engineer their cars to race and drive on real roads.
    Purpose built racetracks should be representative of the roads in the area around the track. Watkins Glen is an example of a track that was designed like the roads around it. I'm sure there are many more examples.
    I'd like to see more real roads as race tracks, and not city streets please. The best tracks have always been real roads. Spa, the 'Ring, etc.

Sorry, I'm ranting

Emery, Alex72 and mantasisg like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@zzbusch it's not about not being able to drive there. Judging by the rF2 version I imagine the drivers will love driving it, and many of those corners will absolutely suit F1 cars. What they're going to try and do is provide at least one place where overtaking might be possible, because there aren't any at the moment. And that's not just F1 saying that, though it definitely can change with different cars.

I think their description sounds like the changes won't work either, but I guess we'll see.