How to set FOV beyond the "default" ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnW63, May 19, 2019.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I've tried to read up, but the web is a big place that answers a lot of questions that are NEAR yours or sometimes " Why the heck did Google send me to THIS page ? " way off base.

I want to alter the FOV outside the -10 Default +10 settings. I'm not even sure what units they are, because it changes in a HUGE way.

First off, what IS the default ? I have read it differs from Mod to Mod based on it's cockpit camera setting. Is there a way to find that ?

I do not have multiple monitors, so any settings that talk about that won't apply.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Default's generally about 60 degrees.

You don't need less than 10. What do you think you need? What are your aims? Have you tried FOV calculators if you want true FOV?

*Note you can adjust FOV while sitting in the car, if you're not sure what setting you want to put in the menu. Check the seat controls in settings.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DrivingFast I think first we need to establish we're actually talking about FOV, and that true FOV is the goal. But they do help illustrate what FOV is, so that's good.

DrivingFast likes this.
  5. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Lazza,
    I know I can slide the seat forward and back, but, if I go too far forward, the mirrors are gone.

My goal is to get the most realistic view and best car reaction with the setup I have. I'm sure I am an anomaly, in sim racing, but I only have ONE monitor. A 27" 144hz one. I have read that having the right FoV will give me better car sense of motion. Too wide and the car moves slowly and too narrow and it feels like it's moving to much.

I used one of the web based tools to determine my proper FoV and it comes out in the 18-20 degree range, which seems really narrow. I would at least try changing my FOV to see if any changes make a positive change in the realism of the car.

6. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I just checked out the andyf.me web site linked above, and it shows my horizontal FoV is 33 and my vertical is 19, which matches the other web site I saw. So, how do I get about 20 degree setup in rF2 ?

The seat range is -100 to +100 with zero in the middle, of course. If the default is 60 is that at the zero mark ? If so, how do the numbers in seat position relate to FoV ?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  7. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Does rF2 use vertical or horizontal FOV? It makes a difference, doesn't it?

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't. FOV is in the options, seat range is just that, where the seat is.

9. Supa

Supa Registered

Vertical

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're far from an anomaly, and until recently I was in the same situation.

Since we're talking about a combination of seat position and FOV, I guess I should start by saying - if you didn't know already - nothing beats real FOV. But you won't get that on a single (27") screen and be able to see enough around you, or to the apex of sharp corners.

In comparison, everything you do will always have a higher-than-real FOV and that means forward motion looking a bit too fast and braking zones looking compressed. I don't even follow the idea that you need side screens to portray the sense of speed properly - when I'm looking down a straight in my centre monitor I really am only focused on that straight, and though it feels 'slow' in comparison to using high-FOV it also looks correct. Just about adjusting expectations I think.

So, throw out any idea of some sweet spot or anything being wrong or right (again, there's only one correct FOV for your setup, but you're either using it or you're not, so don't worry about it). Getting FOV as low as you can deal with is best, because you will get a stronger indication of car movements (sideways) and the larger-looking undulations and objects will simply look better. But it's a tradeoff against being able to see around you and see sharp corners at all.

I would focus on FOV first, work out your limit, then simply adjust the seat position a bit to where you can see whatever you need to see in the cockpit. Don't adjust your FOV to suit your cockpit unless it's critical - you should be focused on the track.

11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

You are mixing two things up. Seat position has nothing to do with FOV. The FOV setting in rF2 is in degree. You can find it in the settings or change it directly on track when you have assigned keybindings for it. For assigning keybindings have a look in the seetings/controls menu under view.

avenger82 and Alex72 like this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Sorry I did not read the whole thread.

I recommend, as your screen is very small, to bring it as close as possible to your eyes. Each cm counts.

Then use the links at the beginning to calculate your new FOV.

Perhaps you can then consider choosing a compromise between the calculated FOV and a practically exploitable FOV. You can also move back the seat a little.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  13. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

" I would focus on FOV first, work out your limit, then simply adjust the seat position a bit to where you can see whatever you need to see in the cockpit. "

Yes, great, but where can I change my FoV in rF2 ? With only a single monitor, there are no changes in the cockpit screen.

"The FOV setting in rF2 is in degree. You can find it in the settings"

I only see one spot and the choices are 10 - Default - 10. Neither 10 setting is at all usable. The long view 10 is cartoon-ish. The short 10 is moved out so the only thing I can see is the "halo" center bar in an F1 car.

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JohnW63 I also mentioned earlier, in the Seat section of your setttings -> controls menu, you will find FOV adjustments. So you can do them in the car. You can then also adjust Pitch using Shift (and the same FOV controls), can be handy.

16. enduser

enduser Registered

I know what you mean. FOV settings in rf2 exist in 3 places, track mod, car mod (for each cam) & player config. However track & car FOV has free to set vert/hor ratio which alone alters your FOV perception and you cant change that when in game , so in some mods it just dont feel right in my single screen and i have to widen or narrow track FOV in the SCN file. If i compare to AC , in rf2 i always get a slight reverse binocular effect, its probably not very suitable for the average single screen setup, and that is even after i repeatedly reduce my FOV. Btw in AC in close cabin cars the road surface looks elevated compared to left side window view, thats strange and i dont have the slightest idea why is that.
    From my little experience i think there s a proper FOV for the car movement to feel right , in some track mods it may be off, usually it is right tho. Thing is FOV is much more than that, example is leaving enough side room for opponent cars and braking without looking at distance markers which i had it in the beginning and somehow lost it lately , i dont know if it comes from reducing my FOV setting. Breaking zone becomes even more difficult when close to car in front, do real drivers use their peripheral vision in such cases?idk

Any advice is welcome.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@enduser I think we need to separate FOV from seat position. FOV is a single figure, you can adjust it in the game, there's only 1 correct value for a given screen size and distance but unless your single screen is very big/close it's not really practical because you lose visibility (like boarding up your real car windows except for a gap directly in front of you).

How each car feels can be based on the car physics, cockpit positioning, default pitch, and the car's scaling. But generally tracks and cars are correct scale, and any feeling of things being the wrong size are down to position (because of perspective) or a poor compromise on FOV.

VR has an entirely different potential scaling issue because of how stereo vision works, but the game world itself is still to scale.

Alex72 likes this.
  18. enduser

enduser Registered

And i dont understand what you say either and how its related to my post, a correction to make to my previous post is each car mod drivers's FOV settings are applied when FOV is at "default", then game reads car mods camera values which for driver cam is 51-52 degrees. Then as u hit +/- to change FOV in the cockpit it behaves in weird way of resetting FOV to 10 or 100 and adjusting from there, whatever u do is left there also appears in the game menu afterwards as your new setting.
    Also for small/standard monitors about 21'' real FOV is out of the question, unless you tape your head in your screen, its about the best compromise you can find that suit's you.

Seat position is saved separately for each car if i m not wrong (or you know, then whats the point).

BUT, then there s the track FOV settings which in some rare cases in track conversions, its wrong, and there s nothing you can do about it in-game except open the mod and fix it. One such case is Heikki's Hungaroring 2017 which is a beautiful conversion but its also incomplete / has very wide looking FOV. As you drive there s a funny feel your car is not turning as much as you'd expect , you steer more than really need with the track being wider than what it appears. I have tweaked its FOV values and it drives better for me atm.

Another one is SRH baku also beautiful mod , love the track and layout (like city circuits in general) but the rear view mirror is distorted and the normal view is probably also off because i touch/hit the wall at corner exits without expecting it, its the opposite case you turn less than really need. Especially in the last fast "S" turns i exit to the straight and suddenly hit the wall in true WTF fashion, anybody else has this issue? So far i think its the track's FOV.

- Dont configure you FOV with random downloads, choose S397/ISI mods.
    - When changing car camera dont judge your FOV from those, just in case u r thinking somethings' wrong with ur FOV setting, because those cams have different FOV settings inside the car mod files and distorted on purpose to look like wide-angle tv cams.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@enduser I'll leave some of your post alone as there seems to be some misunderstanding.

Your FOV comments intrigue me - if you set your FOV in the game to, say, 55 degrees, that's what it is. How can a track change it?

20. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Coutie,

Been there. The choices are 10 - default - 100. Only default is usable. The other two are way out of usable range.

Lazza,
    "in the Seat section of your setttings -> controls menu, you will find FOV adjustments."
    Now we're talking ! I set buttons to increase or decrease the FoV. Do I leave the FoV setting on "default" and then adjust in the car, or do I have to put it on one of the number choices and adjust from there ?