iDT St Petersburg, needs a dx11 conversion

Discussion in 'Locations' started by davehenrie, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

A couple of months ago i started building this track (i see this like a challenge as i am a noob modder), hope to finish it one day, sadly i can't work on it every time i want :(
    NVM some placeholder materials/textures, still a lot to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Corti

Corti Registered

nice, good job mate!!

3. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

So, a few people working on this.. I'm working on it myself also.. Started a month back and I'm using maya, probably not the easiest to get it to dx11 but with the new pbr shaders it should better translate between game engine and 3d app, time will tell..

Maybe a collaboration between a few would be possible.. I myself prefer realism over esthetics, and found some coarse lidar data to get the track elevations right .. Did a lot off research already on this and as you can see the roadmesh is done, closing the infield first and adding kerbs, which are different in almost every corner from what I've seen.. Wire_1-2.jpg Wire_3.jpg Wire_1-2.jpg Wire_3.jpg Lidar_2.jpg Wire_2.jpg Wire_5-1.jpg

4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Yes expecially the kerb in the last corner, never seen a kerb like that :eek:
    PM sent! More than happy to collaborate.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Lars, Ppj Duin, ede78 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well when is about tracks esthetics is half of the realism.

Ppj Duin likes this.
  6. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I always try and use real photos for materials whenever possible for realism. Let me know if you need anything.

7. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

True, I meant that more in a way that it doesn't matter how great things look, it's only realistic if things are looking like the real thing..

It's a tough track this one, only used once a year so much less reference to find..
    I have bunch of video and photos as reference but have to keep a good eye on what year it's from. Resurfaced the runaway a few years back, bumps smoothed out in t3 as opposed to the layout from 2017.

I do love to drive around on the old version you made. It got me to try making my own version of it, and I absolutely love the US temporary indycar tracks like this, Burke airport or Toronto for example..

I keep on the lookout if there's someone in that area to ask for a load of reference pics..

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Well the good thing about St Pete being a partly street circuit, is that you can use the google maps street view to at least get a basic set of buildings and objects down

9. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

Yep, that's the best reference I have so far.. Haven't found a way to use a screenshot as texture reference yet..
    Also been experimenting with Google Earth and photogrammetry to get the global shape and textures, had a little success with the baseballstadium but the whole thing will still be needing to rebuild from the ground up to optimize for the game

Corti likes this.
  10. vivemclaren

vivemclaren Registered

@krusti @Ppj Duin

Something which can be interesting is the old St Petersburg track too! 86-90 version used the same road without airfield part and 85 version is a bit different true!
    https://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/st-petersburg.html#.XN76-NiYPIU
    I have downloaded old aerial views from us geoportal (earthexporer) if you want (84-94-2002)

Can am race 1985

Trans Am race 1986

2003-2016 and 2017-now is very similar too!
    However I know it is very long road to do a track :)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Foxtrot likes this.
  11. Makemmauer

Makemmauer Registered

Hi! Really this track is awesome and there are always Iindycar races there, I love the category as well as formula 1, in fact I love formula categories. Is it possible for you to put this St Petersburg track as an option there on the Rfactor 2 steam page so people can update? I myself was already desperate, because the previous track doesn't work anymore, so I was told to come here to download the updated track. Is it possible to put this amazing track over there on steam? Thank you very much and congratulations

Olá! Realmente esta track é demais e sempre tem corridas da Iindycar por lá, adoro a categoria assim como a formula 1, aliás eu adoro categorias fórmula. Será possível vocês colocarem estra track de St Petesburg de opção lá na página do Rfactor 2 no steam para as pessoas poderem atualizar? Eu mesmo já estava desesperado, pois a track anterior não funciona mais, daí me informaram de vir até aqui baixar a track atualizada. Será possível colocaram esta incrível track por lá no steam? Muito obrigado e parabéns

Lars, vava74 and Damatta39 like this.
  12. vava74

vava74 Registered

This is a better track than Long Beach... sadly there hasn't been any progress since 2019.

13. Makemmauer

Makemmauer Registered

Come on! Some tracks need an update because they are amazing circuits. São Paulo Indy 300, Long Beach, St Petersburg, are some of the tracks I play a lot, including Belle Isle (Detroit). These are dycar bands that I hope will update (Indianapolis GP would also be a good one). I think these tracks and I would say they are almost exclusive in a simulator that people have conditions for other proposals. I hope they update these tracks.

Puxa vida. Algumas faixas precisam de uma atualização até porque são circuitos incriveis. São Paulo Indy 300, Long Beach, St Petesburg, são algumas das pistas que eu jogo muito inclusive Belle Isle (Detroit). São faixasdycar que espero que faça uma atualização (Indiana GP também seria uma boa). Acho que essas faixas e diriam que são quase exclusivas em um simulador que as pessoas têm condições de demais propostas. Tomara que atualizem essas faixas.

Lars likes this.
  14. Lars

Lars Registered

15. vava74

vava74 Registered

Any improvement is greatly welcomed and under the right conditions - mid afternoon onwards - it looks pretty decent now.
    However, it does not seem to generate a real road effect, which is for me adds greatly to the believability of these old tracks when I setup practice with x10 track evolution.

Also, the AIW could not handle the Lola Champcars :-D they got tangled everywhere, including colliding against the tyre wall by the pit entrance :D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Corti likes this.
  16. Corti

Corti Registered

True...
    Testing with the material editor in real time and without good results.
    I can not obscure the real road with the new shaders :oops:

17. vava74

vava74 Registered

:(:(:(:(:(:(

18. vava74

vava74 Registered

@Lars @Corti what about introducing the curbs on T5 and making a new AIW ? :-D
    Please?

19. vava74

vava74 Registered

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

20. vava74

vava74 Registered

Any candidates ? :(:(:(:(