a mod for racing line

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Lightwalker, May 15, 2019.

1. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

I'd like to have racing line assist in rF 2. Most of the tracks(or maybe mods) don't have rubber marks option to guide me. Is there a mod that can add this feature to the game?

2. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

You can always put real road time scale right up high, make practice long, and time accelerate for a while to allow the track to rubber up. At the highest real road scale it wont take long for it to rubber up.

Lightwalker likes this.
  3. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

Lol you got me wrong. I'm a beginner, I can't learn all tracks simple and quick. On tracks I newly encounter I need racing line. It would take forever to learn Le Mans for example(at least for me) :)

4. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

Fair enough, whilst I do not know of any racing line mod, I would highly recommend my suggestion and allowing the real road time scale to rubber up the track, as it gets rubbered up the rubber marks will start to show and get darker and more pronounced showing you the natural line.
    Set real road to naturally progressing.
    Real road time scale to x15 (the max there is)
    Use time accelerate (default ctrl+x I believe) for say 10 minutes of practice session and it should be quite pronounced by then.

Other than that I hope somebody might be able to guide you to something that will help you more.

Lightwalker likes this.
  5. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

OK I think you mean I should let AI do the laps while I wait, is that so? because how can I create the best line if I can't find it?

Then there is this question; I've seen the option of naturally progressing in the menu BUT are the rubber marks saved? like when I quit the game and come back next day with the "naturally prog." option on. Can I still see it on the track?

6. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

turn the AI level down so you can comfortably follow them and do a few laps behind them..keep an eye out for any landmarks to help you remember where you are. (houses/trees/signboards etc)

most corners will either have numbered boards for braking distance or you use the start of the kerb as a braking point. On exit of the corner run to the outside of the track and you should be getting all 4 wheels back on track by the end of the exit kerb. The Apex(s) will be somewhere in between tho depends on type of corner. (IRL a lot of tracks have draincovers on the apex kerb - not always in game tho)

look at a circuit map of the track, you want to straighten out the corners as much as possible, the most important corners are the ones that lead onto long straights.

Lightwalker and Boomer20 like this.
  7. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

Yes I meant AI, sorry if that wasn't clear.
    You can save real road after a session but I've never used it personally. Normally I will do practice, qually and race in one sitting, If it's a long race though I will use the resume function in the replays section to go back to where I was and that does save the status of the real road.

Lightwalker likes this.
  8. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

Wait, now I remember sth. I think I had seen an auto-save option of track rubber properties. Some tracks had that if I remember correctly, can it be what I'm looking for do you think?

9. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

Possibly, its in the standings tab. Like I said, I've never used it myself but I imagine that is what its for, One of the options available for real road is user save so I imagine once you've saved it, user save will use that. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

10. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

Personally following another car sounds absurd to me (sorry :))
    I know abaut braking points a little bit and the drain covers you told abaut, recently caught my attention, that's a good idea indeed. Also the map..I'll try that, just taking my eyes off the road doesn't seem like a very good idea XD

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

There is no such racing line overlay as you'd find in the likes of Nascar Racing 2003 all the way through Gran Turismo, so it's a matter of repetition and looking around until you learn the circuit. About the rubber, once you've run on a track and finish a session, it will save. When reloading that same track, select the User Autosave real road option.[/QUOTE]

Well there is racing line overlay in Automobilista, Project cars 2 and Assetto Corsa. Those are significant racing sims not arcade. You know this is the problem, some people think everybody should be a veteran to play these racing sims. There are many people like me who need or at least "prefer" to use these assists to some point. You may not think so. I certainly would prefer it.

Nevertheless thanks for the information...

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Lightwalker learning a track is a skill you can and should develop. Many tracks have 10-15 corners and take 2 mins to lap even driving carefully and safely. Within 10 laps you can learn as much as a driving line will teach you, and from there you don't want one as it can make you lazy. In rF1 which had a racing line as part of the track (rubber) I sometimes saw people follow that line for lap after lap despite it obviously being wrong.

The hardest way to learn a track is to try and go fast and fall off. You need to do some continuous laps, mentally note any surprisingly sharp corners so you know to brake for them (only takes two or three laps to associate them with their surrounds) and your brain will soon fill in the rest. Once you're circulating with no surprises stop and watch a replay to discover any major mistakes.

Lightwalker likes this.
  13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

There's nothing absurd about Steve's suggestion. Setting up AI at a level where you can comfortably follow them and do several laps behind them is a very good way to learn the track, the driving line and braking points. Think of it as going on a Track day. You're just there cruising with other cars around and having fun while learning the track.

Personally another way in which I enjoy learning a track is to find an onboard video on youtube of such track (and preferably of a similar car you'll be using in the game for the first time). I watch the onboard for several laps in an attempt to learn it. By the time I jump in-game, I'm already familiar with it and it's much easier.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

I learned one track recently with the way you suggested because I had no choice. It's really true that the line makes you lazy. When I started in Race 07 and rF1 I got used to the rubber line. Maybe I will quit following the rubber someday.

15. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

Good idea, might try that

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

In my view racing line is a real immersion breaker.
    As others have suggested techniques for learning a new track include;
    Going onboard with AI for a few laps, even sit on the roof or in chase view. I use this often for a new track.
    Then follow someone even AI.
    Once you know where the corners are its a case of what is the best line? and that's the big skill.
    We all know it's outside-inside-outside, but where do you apex, early middle or late?
    I will print or draw the circuit map and make notes.
    The best easily found discussion on this I can recall occurs in the Video Skip Barber-Going faster.
    Ignore the haircuts and the fashion-physics haven't changed. Watch it through fully at least twice.
    Once you can work out THE line yourself, you are a racer!!

Then if you are feeling really motivated I sell a guide "The Sim Racers Performance Guide"
    €10.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I find I'm pretty good following another car, but as soon as I get on my own, I start crabbing corners, squaring them instead of flowing through the apex, not using the full width of the track. I get very annoyed with myself as I see myself doing it.(this is even after following cars through the proper lines) Not saying I WANT something like that, but I'm sure there are users who would use it.

18. Comante

Comante Registered

If you don't want to use AI as already suggested, you may give a try to ghost car: it is a great tool to have an instant feedback of your improvings, you just need to initially complete laps without mistakes, then you have just to follow the ghost ahead and try to catch it. Every lap the best lap will be used, so you will find yourself quickly on pace.

19. Lightwalker

Lightwalker Registered

I have found a different solution for myself. I set up a practice session with abaut 15-20 cars for one hour, accelerate time while they are lapping then after it's finished I save the "real road" feature. Next time I play I load the same saved "real road" option. The track is rubbered and ready.

This works just fine and is the best solution for me. Thanks for all the suggestions.

20. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Autosave setting is doing basically the same, without forcing you to save. Autosave is only available once you joined and left a track. Actually it is just the name of the autosave.rrbin file which is created first time you entered track.
    When you play in rain your autosave rubber is gone however...