AI Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DustySticks, May 5, 2019.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

Well said.

It is laughable. Despite an overwhelming majority, the developers still refuse to address any of our key concerns or issues raised.. I really do hope iRacing do us justice and bring out AI that is competent.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

If they did I'm happy to buy a 100£ renewal as for me online is wicked, lol

3. Pales

Pales Registered

Although the details are somewhat limited currently, we do know that it will have a fully customable championship, multiclass, pit logic and variable driving line conditions.

iRacing Quotes
    "There is intelligence in the pit strategy that takes into account how much time will be lost pitting, and weighing that against the benefits of improved lap times."

"Currently planned per driver ratings (subject to change): a. Skill b. Optimism c. Aggressiveness d. Smoothness e. Age f. Pit strategy risk taking g. Pit crew skill There will be a tool tip that explains all of these factors."

"Yeah, you can create an Opponent Roster from scratch by car class. So you'd select LMP1 class with 6 drivers, GTE class with 24 Drivers, then GT3 class with 30 (again, if your PC can handle it)"

ECAR_Tracks and LokiD like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Wow

See this is where I think rf2 needs to catch up or innovate before being left behind Yes OK the core driving is probably the best out there. But that alone will soon wear off with a shallow featured sim

5. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

I can conform some weird ai behaviour. Let's start by saying Rfactor 2 was my sim of choice since the year it came out. Can't thank ISI enough for putting a sim like this together. The reason for me liking Rfactor 2 so much were mainly the physics, the ffb feel and the ai. Studio 397 has put out some excellent DLC's like the endurance and GT3 packs.
    But saying that weird ai behaviour does not happen with official content is simply not through. The Mercedes GT3 has almost on every track problems with the curbs and sharp corners. First of all, when in the braking zone, the car seeks the outside lane of the track, sometimes putting on wheel on the grass. When turning in, take a look at the hands of the ai driver, turning the wheel 180 degrees, while frontwheels are understeering the asfalt of the track. When getting out of the corners, the drivers hits the gas and gets almost a tankslapper and a whiplash trying to straithen out the beast.

I heard some complaining that the ffb of the Merc was off. With my g27, i must say the ffb is pretty good. The Probem with the merc when the ai is driving the car, seems to be that: the cars does not know it's pretty wide, the suspension setup seems wrong, and the steering angle is way off. Resulting on almost every track in slow laptimes, way slower then rest of the gt3 pack. Even worse: spinning out on corners with curbs and bumbs or grass on the outside of the corner.

I'm using virtual drives, setting the aggression race setting to 50 and the individuel Merc ai aggression to 20. Lowering the individual speed setting to 80 or lower. That way i hope they stay on the road for quite a while. But in this way they are 2 or 3 seconds a lap of the pace of me and the rest of the pack, so quite useless really.

In setting up a race, i choose the ai not driving the Merc for this. But no Merc in a GT3 race is just not realistic. Same reason i choose not to let the ai drive the Radical GT3, that not realistic also.

Like others said before me, lots of other things are starting to bother me concerning the ai. Yellow flags, fcy, rain, random mechanical failures would be a nice touch also, just like not breaking the ai custom liveries with every update.

That said. Despite al of this, the ai in Rfactor2 was my first love (and it will be my last:cool: hopefully), but progress is needed and fast also. Iracing looks very promissing, the ai of ACC is getting better with each update and catching up. Raceroom's ai are getting better and better, so for a offline simracer like me, the other options are getting plenty. But, i dont want to drive another sim because of the physics, the ffb, beautiful day-night racing, the possibility to let the ai take over in endurance races. So i hope they have a serious look at the ai and give the offline racing community some love. Thanks in advance.

ECAR_Tracks, LokiD, Levelup1 and 7 others like this.
  6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

If you need to do a work around as the one you suggested - doesn’t that indicate that part of the game is broken. For instance you should be able to have a dry qualifying and then go straight to a wet race - this isn’t out of the ordinary and if you’re unable to do that without the issues that have been stated by many, then obviously that’s a bug that hopefully will be fixed down the track.

Like I said, for my purpose, I need to go straight to the race so I can edit the grid myself - because I do quali on one day and then race on another when I have time. I need to be able to go straight to a race, and if it’s wet you’d assume the AI will have the correct tyres and do the correct strategy, and you would think that should be a pretty basic thing, but it’s not - so hopefully it will get fixed down the track.

fsuarez79 likes this.
  7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Yes, handling of AI on the MERC is somewhat peculiar to say the least.
    I've managed to BoP all the GT3 cars pretty well with talent files but still in a handful of tracks like Watkins Glen and Road America the MERC just go bananas.
    I've also been testing Tire wear instead of Fuel consumption as a variable to regulate AI pit stops and it's working better, but probably for the same reason of this weird handling the MERC has the worst tire wear rate of them all.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    bhendrik likes this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We've had this discussion many times before, yes it's a slight annoyance to use a workaround but it's not hard and not the end of the world.

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

You’re missing he point here. Nevermind.

10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I did a wet race in the v8 supercars last year and they pitted around lap 20 to put dries on. It worked fine.

11. Pales

Pales Registered

Do you want to know why the MERC is so slow when driven by the AI? It is because of the handling characteristics given to AI for this car is absolutely TERRIBLE. Just a small turn requires the AI to turn the wheel by almost 360 degrees. This in itself shows you the poor quality of DLC and how sp is completely disregarded.

It has been like this FOREVER. How long will be waiting for a developer response on this issue? you guessed it FOREVER. I no longer purchase any DLC associated with RF2 due to the sheer incompetence and total disregard for RF2 sp.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Just hope this UI won't be the death of rf2.

J7166 likes this.
  13. Staenker

Staenker Registered

I did some ai training (modes 1 and 2) for Imola and the McLaren 720s - both official content. The ai was set to 100 strength and 50 agression. I did not get them to go faster than low 1:44s, maybe a single 1:43:9xx. I can do 1:43:4xx in the 720s there on mediums atm. I did some research and I think some guys are doing low 1:42s race pace there.
    But comparing the AI to ACC or PCars2 it's a nice AI to race with. Also, comparing to iRacing, it doesn't punt me as much as the real world players. And going towards the topic of iRacing: Software Development is expensive. An average Software Engineer does around 70k per year, for a company that is around 100k salary. And that is given that you are lucky enough to find one, of not, you are paying around 20k for the head hunter to get you one. Now if that wouldn't be bad enough, programming is a very time consuming process. Paying 10/month to iracing is normal, buying the cars and tracks for 15 each as well. How much did I pay for rfactor 2? Around 100? That's a joke. So I do like the idea of LokiD, I'd pay a 100 for a proper AI. Not just because there is no alternative to rf2 in terms of FFB and physics ;)

ECAR_Tracks, dazzer and LokiD like this.
  14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

If you don't use the default setup, you could use the fixed setup function, so that the AI can use your setup too.
    That gives the AI the same 'weapons' that you have and maybe also improves their laptimes. ;)

Staenker likes this.
  15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don’t know if it was already mentioned, why doesn’t the AI respect the blu flags at all?
    Even when they are during the out lap( in practice/qualification sessions they even try to close you and ruin your lap.
    Another thing, some times they don’t respect the track limit and they don’t get any warning or penalties for example at Silverstone while I get always warnings/ penalties .

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  16. Staenker

Staenker Registered

I did that with the Porsche GT3, cause the AI was really suffering in that car...

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They do during a Race but indeed they do not during Practice/Qual if they're on their Out Lap, it is listed & a known issue.

18. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

How does this Ai give a different setup?

19. Staenker

Staenker Registered

20. Pales

Pales Registered

Bump for awareness.