Stuttering with VR.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DANPROS, Apr 13, 2019.

1. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hey guys!

I'm facing some stuttering with oculus rift. Some car pack like the new metalmoro or gt3 pack are causing micro stuttering. My rig can keep steady 90 fps, but sometimes the frame drops to 89 with a stuttering. With Endurance pack the problem are very rare to happen.

My pc
    I7 9700k@5.0
    RTX 2080TI
    16 gb 3200mhz
    samsung evo ssd 250gb

Already checked power plan, usb power plan, NVIDIA conf, close MSI afterburner while playing, checked temps, disabled overclock. Even did a windows fresh install. None of these gave me positive results.

Can anyone help me?

Tyvm!

2. elbo

elbo Registered

Check and see if the last windows update turned on game mode (it did for me and gave me a bit of grief) and turn it off.

3. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hi elbo. Thanks for your answer.
    I'll check it. Tyvm!

4. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Could it be Asynchronous Space Warp kicking in? I have similar issues in several VR games when the game/vr software is switching between 90 hz and 45 hz ASW. Try to force ASW to always on in your Oculus Debug Tool ("Force 45 fps, ASW enabled"). You'll see ASW artifacts, but the stutter might go away.

5. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hi Neawoulf!
    probably not ASW. Fps stays 90 all the time, but sometimes the stutter appears with a frame drop, 90 to 89, then goes back to 90. the problem is the damn stutter that make me goes crazy.

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@DANPROS

Turn down the graphical settings (a lot), and observe if the problem persists.

To determine if this is a performance problem, or not.

Neawoulf likes this.
  7. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Stutter seems to be an issue for a lot of people currenty. It could be this: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/logging-out-of-realtime-physics-freezes.62687/

Bis that does not only happen in VR. I've had this issue (not just stutter, also freezes, especially online) for almost a year now. If your stutter is not performance related i would just wait for the fix S397 is currently working on. You can also record some logs (see other thread) to help the devs to find out what's causing it and how to solve it.

8. elbo

elbo Registered

might want to try to delete player.json and let the game regenerate it...on the off chance it is corrupted.

9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

This was happening to me when I used steam Vr. I found the problem went away by using openvr runtime along with native rift home. Avoid running rfactor with steamvr.

10. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hey DrivingFast, already did it. all graphics in Low/off. No sucess.

Elbo, i checked the Game Mode and it was disabled. I'll try to delete the player.json. Tyvm!

Hey doddynco. i'll check that. Thanks for the advice.

11. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hey Neawoulf, thanks again! Funny that with Endurance Pack the stuttering is almost none. With GT3 / Metalmoro (both models), it's stutter like crazy. In Lime rock every corner comes with a stutter, it's tottaly annoying.

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I am not an expert.

But you have a PC ultra, ultra, ultra high end and very recent.

Frankly I think it's useless to OC your computer.

It's probably even a bad idea.

I have a "small" i7 4770k @ 3.3 Ghz only (stock), 16 GO DDR3 1333 Mhz .....

and I have no slowdown or "out of real time" when I play on the Nordschleife with ***100*** AI.

I play in full Ultra, FHD with a very high level of AA (X2 sparse grid), but actually no VR.

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Where can I change vcore? Can you tell me how to do that and how do I know to stay safe? Thank you for your help. I have almost exactly the same system with the same problems as you .

14. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hi memoNo1.
    Whats your system Motherboard,cooler system, processor and memories? It's at stock clocks or overclocked?
    Do you have some knowledge in BIOS? I have some guides that let you overclock without putting your system at risk.
    Let me know and i send it to you.
    Cheers!

memoNo1 likes this.
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I do not think he has been overclocked so far. The PC is brand new and what about overclocking with the warranty? From bios, I gave no idea. Except for the Cooler system here is my pc specification .

CPU : Intel Core I7 8700K 3,70GHz
    GPU: Gforce RTX 2080TI
    Mainboard: Micro Star Z370-A PRO )MS-7B48)
    RAM: DDR4 32 GB (1200 MHZ)

16. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hi memoNo1

Be sure to check if overclocking voids your warranty. Better be sure.
    But its up to you.
    btw, can you tell me your PSU brand and wattage?
    Cheers!

17. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Well guys, the stutters came back and after almost a week testing hardware. I found the problem.
    It's the game.
    I downloaded RaceRoomExperience just to see if the stutters are present and guess what. Not a single stutter.
    Now , idk what to do. Can some dev help me?
    Thanks!

[UPDATE] : I was messing arround in NVIDIA Control Panel and changed the VR pre-rendered frames. Changed the value from 1 to 4. The gameplay are much more smoother now but yet still some stutter =(

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  18. Staenker

Staenker Registered

I'd recommend you to read through that thread mentioned earlier: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....f-realtime-physics-freezes-public-test.62687/
    You will gain a good understanding of what might be causing performance issues. That being said, what solved my stutters was to stick to official tracks/cars (or mods which have been performance optimized) and to disable the TrackIR plugin. I'll try the new beta branch mentioned in that thread (mentioned earlier :) ) and see what will happen.
    In general, I'd advice against setting pre-rendered frames to anything higher than 1.

19. elbo

elbo Registered

@DANPROS;
    are you using crewchief plugin? If so, disable the spotter in crew chief and see if that helps.

20. DANPROS

DANPROS Registered

Hey guys.
    After weeks trying to figures what was causing all the frame drops and stuttering i managed to really find the problem. It was the Oculus rift. Idk if the Oculus home was causing some conflict with steamvr or if the Oculus was causing some weird conflict with my hardware. So, i swaped my Oculus with a Vive and voila. All the stutter and frame drops are gone.
    Im not blaming oculus hardware but its all smooth now.
    Thanks for all the help you guys provided.