[REL] SMMG Formula 3 Series (2019-2020-2021-2022-2023-2024) 2.20

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I confirmed that data of the GP3 and F3 2019 are really closed. In fact the main difference is the front suspension that brings to a difference in wheelbase of 6 cm.
    My first step was to create a comparison sheet and we have only the above difference + 1.5 cm in overall length. Something changes in the height but due to the different shape of the body. Total mass can change in a range of 0-30 kgs depending of how the mass+driver is calculated. Last change is always related to the front suspensions, now working with springs instead of torsion bars.
    Then only 14 Dallara suggested setup "numbers" differ vs. the GP3, mainly always for same reason of the different front suspension.
    In a car/mod where code works on thousands of "numbers", I can say cars (GP3 vs. F319) are more than similar, but, depending of setup, different behavior of the front.
    Tires are exactly the same 2018 GP3 tires, latest CPM and additions to the realtime section and yes, made on Pirelli real data by Michael Borda.
    Related to this specific mod, I do not see limitations due to the code of rF2, at least with the exclusion of aero, but we all are aware that in general the aero could be improved a little in rFactor2, also if now, with the right "translations" is possible to tune also the aero at a very good level.

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Extremely precise answer.

Thank you Marco

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Great, thanks for the info, it's interesting and it seems you have everything under control:) It doesn't seem major changes in physics will be needed, but still it would be best if real driver tests the mod (and provides feedback).

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I see there is a wide interest in the mod, but I have to remember that currently the development has been stopped due to reasons I have written few posts above.
    I cannot hide my displeasure and loss of interest for many reasons, but especially because I became passionate about rfactor first and rfactor2 then, mainly for the friends I could meet and with whom, together, for many years we did tracks, mods, races and above all we had fun and found the right motivations to offer our contribution to the community.
    Lacking this ...
    ...but maybe some opportunity will appear to continue developing the mod also if I must admit that many things have changed over the years, many improved, others personally unwelcome.

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

That's probably because your mods, I think particularly GP3 is excellent in therms of physics, but also popular because in general it's high quality.
    For me rF2 is best simulator because of it's physics, and consequently handling and FFB, but it's would be nice to have more quality mods that leverage it appropriately. Because in opposite case, what's the point of highly sophisticated physics engine, tire model etc. when in result mod behaves much different than real car. In such case it's better to play Forza or pCars, because they got better graphics etc.

That's why for me, it's a shame Formula 3 development stopped and as I understand, for now it's not likely it will be finished.

6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

just to keep you informed... today confirmation of minimum weight with driver has been set to 690 kg.

7. torig

torig Registered

Any indication in lap time differences between the cars please?

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well mates, I can confirm that Chris got few free time for a full immersion into the F3 2019 physics and that we can say it is at the final stage!
    Now we are going to fine tuning last things and aero and I just sent the "list of questions", very short list(!!) to Mr. D for clarifications.

I'm astonished by first test driving the car... the GP3 was a great mod (car) but I must admit that understeer sometimes was annoying... the F3 2019 is very similar to the GP3, but but but more stable, more neutral and to drive it, exiting fast and slow corners, is fantastic and the few laps I run... wow I can't stop to drive it, the car goes exactly like I want, "she" is smooth and precise when entering a curve, staying close to the curb and exiting a curve! Sincerely I never felt the same feeling before: I could be wrong, because I ran few laps only, maybe knowing better the car will mean to discover some failure, but at the moment I seize the day.
    The physics was developed entering again ALL data of the GP3 into the latest new Physics Calculator of Borda, then F3 2019 new data vs. GP3 replaced those different and I'm sure the Physics Calculator went ahead so much to help in developing this mod.

In the next weeks I'll send the mod to few F3 teams and then we'll see... We need the 3d/2d, without it we'll never release the mod of course.

Once again, I want to thank Chris also because he gave me the motivation for having the physics ready.

SRGP, west1785, mesfigas and 21 others like this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Really a good news, thank you to your team.

pkelly likes this.
  10. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Please, please, please. If you have 3d modding skills PM Marco (Slow Motion) or me. Without these skills, this mod won't happen

11. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

So this is literally fresh off the presses. I knew a team was working on it, but couldn't remember which one off hand. Anyway, the RSS team for AC just released their "RSS 3" car. I know you mentioned needing 3d modeling. I would be curious to know if you could strike up a partnership for that car, to be able to convert to rF2?

https://racesimstudio.com/formula-rss-3-is-out

StrawmanAndy and mesfigas like this.
  12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I contacted RSS for a collaboration offering the exclusive physics we developed, any official info by F3 teams, etc... I also asked only for the permission and they answered "we are planning to bring the car into rF2 ourselves in the coming months and have the team to do the task" and they also denied the permission as well. No further answer to my last email of 10 days ago...

rubennaatje likes this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

14. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Sebastien Sestacq and avenger82 like this.
  15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks for info, suggestions and help!
    I wonder the reason nobody of them ever contacted me or posted here, well knowing since months we asked for and are looking at an artist for modeling the car...
    I'll see what is possible to do!

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

quick info: no luck, ChiefWiggum is busy with its models

rubennaatje likes this.
  17. Legend

Legend Registered

sad news i wish you could find a 3d artist

18. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well, we have taken the decision, for several reasons, to release to the public the mod in WIP version.
    Due to the fact that Chris and Jilles are busy for personal reasons and have no longer time for modeling at least for several months, we planned to release, such a temporary solution, the mod as it is with the full physics done but merging some 3d of the GP3 car.

We do it for sharing with you the pleasure to drive a Formula 3 2019 with the state of the art physics and also to offer to F3 teams and drivers that use rFactor 2 in public or private sim, just because they did and are still supporting us in the development of the GP3 and the F3 2019.

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks! That's good news. I always like to drive cars with realistic physics.
    The only downside may be, that now there will be less incentive/motivation to quickly find someone for car modeling.

20. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Hopefully the opposite : seeing the quality of the physics and what is left to be done in the 3d, maybe someone will accept to work on it :oops: