Lime Rock setting up the car (basics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karlis Vitols, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

want to improve my racing and basics understanding, so i watching youtube videos and trying push and roll and lift and etc. in Limerock with Skipbarber and USF2000
    so far my best with Skip is 1_01.4 (i dont have info about how low is rF2 times here) but 120% AI goes in 57xx and iracing times also is around 57xxx
    with usf2000 my average is 50.1 (59.9PB) BUT here i know people go 57.xxx
    can someone explain what to look in Limerock setup? is it fast or slow track?
    what and why to tweak in setup?
    atm i am tweaking setups quite blind, only chambers, wings, rolls, brakebias and trying to understand actions. also installed motec but dont have any clue what to watch and what to read...
    (i am watching "Skip Barber going faster" and iracing vids and tutorials)

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Controlling your left front tire on the last turn seems to be something to look at. Even though the main straight is fairly short, if you get the work done turning and setting the car, you can rocket down the straight. Remember controlling one corner of a car is also achieved by reversing the other corner. for example. Soft left front / Stiff right rear.
    However, if you are fixated on chasing the Aliens, prepare to be frustrated...

3. Comante

Comante Registered

With skippy and Limerock: for starter check which version of the car you use : the slick tires perform better than the threaded ones.
    You can get pretty fast even with mostly default setup, one of the most important aspect is brake bias and brake strenght.
    If I want to make the car a bit less tail happy, I just lower the rear ride height a bit.
    With such underpowered cars, on a small circuit like that, practice makes perfect : the most time gain is being able to accelerate more and sooner, then carry more speed through the turn, then braking later, last but not least the best trajectory to save some more time.
    The first turn is tricky because you have to decide which technique employ to gain the most, but then you have to flow in the following 2 turns, and the right path is very important, path that you cannot follow if you are too fast/wide through turn 2. It's a long time since I spent my time on Limerock, the less you push the faster you go, don't bother with setups, just drive.

4. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

i have only treated tires awailiable ISI_skipBarber_1.54_2013

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  5. 006

006 Registered

In my experience of usf2000 the wings have little effect on top speed compared to other cars, so i always stick the front wing on max and crank the rear wing up as well. Maybe around 18. Calming the rear for me helps get better traction out of the corners which seems to really help times in this car.

ps i dont know anything about car setups :p

6. Comante

Comante Registered

In tuning options when you choose the car, you have both

7. Comante

Comante Registered

USF is very tricky with aero balance, 1 click can make a big difference in oversteer/understeer department

8. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

thank you!

9. Filip

Filip Registered

There are two models: national and regional. Try other model

Peter Stefani, elcoco and DrivingFast like this.
  10. Supa

Supa Registered

Learn up on trail braking. That's where all your perceived over/under steering will likely come from. Talk of changing setups etc ain't going to change your car behaviour if your braking technique isn't correct

Karlis Vitols likes this.
  11. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

trailbraking is hardest part.
    but what is a name for braking method when you fast hit brakes, car turns around it axis and you point and shoot out of corner?

12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You have cadence braking, which stamp on the brake, come off as downforce wears off, turn, boot it.
    Trail braking is where you're still on the brakes going into a corner.

Hope one of those answers your question. I think there might be a language barrier here.

13. Comante

Comante Registered

About braking: this is one of the traits where HARDWARE really really .. really matter. I have a G27, and some time ago I decided to improve the pedals with a set of Springs and the Bodnar cable, those were the cheapest solutions compared to load cell mod.
    Well .... the amount of control you can impart in a car like the skippy (and I think every open wheeler) with just the brakes is unbelievable.
    After the obvious time required to adjust myself to the new springs, control improved remarkably, and this is not a placebo effect.
    So, in short, depending your hardware you can have a hard time learning to trail braking and to balance the car using brakes, often much less input than you think is enough to sort the desired effect : load the front tires to reduce understeer without upsetting the car inducing oversteer. With the skippy and it's soft setup I think "brake stomping" is to be applied very carefully, a slight gentle pressure on the brake can be more reliable.

David Kolody likes this.
  14. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

theroeticaly i know what trail braking is and how it works. (mother google and father youtube)
    technicaly there is a thing : i have Logitech Driving Force GT set. so for the brakes there is no feedback, and i testing mx5 miata, f2000 and isi karting to try understand and some other slow cars to see what is going on. and i have a feeling like i am numb and dont feel anything .But progress is , with skipy i can race and my laptimes is in the same second or 1.5 second as other AI 100% cars.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@karlisss apart from some pedals that have vibration feedback, you don't get more 'feel' with better pedals. However, better and stronger brake pedals can give you more consistency which is what you need. Having said that, and this is true of many disciplines, you can bet there are people with similar equipment to yours (or worse) who have learnt to use it well and are extremely competitive.

You might get large improvements simply by spending an hour focusing entirely on finding the limit under braking and treating the exit as secondary.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  16. Supa

Supa Registered

Yep. Braking technique is probably more to blame for under and oversteering in corners than your car setup!

17. Milos Vujkovic

Milos Vujkovic Registered

A beginner here, with a flourishing emotional relationship with the Skippy :rolleyes: I lowered the ride height to a minimum allowed and found a sweat spot for tyre pressures -- it's a totally different car!

As I prefer hot lapping to actual racing, I put AI on 100% so I can compare my times with something. During practices, I was almost always 10/10 position. I lower the ride height and inflate the tyres, and all of a sudden I'm no.1 :cool:

18. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hope you didn't beat me (AI driver in the Skippy)

19. Milos Vujkovic

Milos Vujkovic Registered

I thought you only come in if I crank up the AI strength to God-mode? :D

David O'Reilly likes this.