Latest Roadmap Update -April 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Huh no... have you followed the previous blogs and watched that devcon video? It finally got in a point where the matchmaking has been added, but the other stuff is already there.
    Someone posted by mistake a pic of this UI in Discord, the guy I believe is a beta tester and posted something in the support channel, he quickly deleted it but I could see it was working already
    Idk guys are you trolling or what? Some of the posts here are starting to sound weird like you aren't reading anything, what the heck

McKiernan likes this.
  2. Harri Blom

Harri Blom Registered

Is Nurburgring GP layout included in the upcoming Nordschleife-DLC?

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Question for any modders viewing this forum, has anyone been able to find the PBR shader for the car in 3ds Max? Also, I am having issues with the Edge Baker tool, as soon as I click Export, the program closes and it doesn't produce an exported png. Thanks in advance.

4. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Ouch. Just tried Hong Kong e-prix in the night. It havent lights at all. I hope new track will get some city illumination.

5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

I vaguely remember S397 said it would.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think the correct answer will be yes and no. The PARTS of the GP track that are used by the VLN or ADAC races will be part of the layout. The GP track as a stand-alone circuit? I don't know, but I would guess NO! (See Codemasters F1 sim, they would likely have the rights to the specific GP layout.)
    ((see a pattern? Monaco ePrix track, not the Monaco GP track.))

7. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I am really looking forward to the Nurburgring / Nordschleife track. That's my all time favorite on other sim's and I'm getting back into rFactor 2 after leaving it alone for a while. One of my main (personal) gripes with rF 2 is the difficulty (for me personally - not necessarily anyone else) in finding good online servers to race in car classes that I enjoy. In other racing sim's I have pretty much stopped racing in anything slower than GT3 and even then I find GT3 pretty dull as it they are comparatively slow relative to the the cars I do enjoy - Group C, LMP cars and fast open wheelers mainly - plus anything else that's got a high power to weight ratio. It's personal preference really, but for the last year or so, if I'm going to drive "pretend racing cars" on my PC, then I want to drive things that give me a bit of excitement. My sense of speed is a little warped though (lots of time spent riding sports motorcycles) and I appreciate that others have different tastes and preferences.

Anyway - in response to the release - Nordschleife should be right up my alley and assuming the price is reasonable (in line with other rFactor DLC), then I'll definitely buy it.

In response to 2 other comments in this thread:
    Hell yes - I really enjoy Le Mans - especially the historic layout of the track. Ideally if a DLC was released I would want both the historic 1988 or earlier track (without the back straight chicanes), which lets you pull 400 KPH in the right cars, and the modern version (which has a few more corners in it, as a generalisation).

Definitely. Bathurst is a favorite of mine too. I haven't played GT6, but there are decent 3rd party versions in rF2 (which I'm assuming you've played) and the version in Project Cars 2 is good too (although I appreciate you may not own or like that game).

Lastly - if Studio 397 are looking for ideas for future car DLC's, then I'd like to suggest aiming at more powerful, fast and intense cars.
    Group C is my personal favorite and MAK Corp's 3rd party content is good, but I'd love to see a better, more expanded Group C car pack. There's quite a bit of car variety available in that class and although they can be challenging for some people, with driver aids you can tone them down if you want to. Alternatively I really love the GT1 class from the 2010's (again quite a bit of mechanical variety in that class) - and I miss being able to race things like the Saleen S7 from old school games like GTR2 etc.

Anyway - keep up the good work Studio 397 :)

muzikant likes this.
  8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'm not completely sure either but I'm pretty confident the answer is actually YES, the GP layout will be included as stand alone track.
    This is an extract from the Sep roadmap.

"As we told you in the announcement, the scan is done, and both the Nordschleife and GP track are up to 2018 standards."

Fremen78, Emery and DrivingFast like this.
  9. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Soo
    We have 1 track, a complete nurburgring, (nordschlaife+indipendent modern section) paying 2 time

Not much sense this iconic track annuncement :)

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Where did you get the idea we have to pay two times?

F1Aussie and DrivingFast like this.
  11. torig

torig Registered

The UI rewrite as described in one of the videos of a while ago is no small feat. Code had to be separated from the UI itself, rewritten etc.

I’m hoping the move to 64bit will drive performance optimizations.

Other than hoping and reading between the lines of what I think the update means, it was pretty underwhelming. Calling these blogs ‘roadmaps’ is starting to seriously tick me off.
    A roadmap should be forward-looking, not backward looking, have quantified objectives and milestones and span across a larger timeframe.

Eg roadmap Q2: in Q2 we will achieve A, B and C. To do C we will optimize areas D, E and fix F and G. While this is ongoing we are working on bringing content X and Z.

I love that S397 is devoting time and attention to this project but just wish we didn’t have to wait till month’s end to get pretty vague statements on stuff that we may or may not care about.

Akela_DE, DrivingFast and Mibrandt like this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for the roadmap

re.Monaco , we have a great historic version, now a formula e laser vserion ,
    a modern full GP version would be great (official or not)

13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The UI has required the sim to be totally deconstructed and reconstructed due to how ISI coded it. S397 has bought a very tricky product. Yes, I know, iTs bEeN tWO yeArS, bu I think there’s more important things to worry about than how menus look. Safety car, AI fixes etc.

14. Marisa

Marisa Registered

The guys from RSS got your back. :)
    [​IMG]

Dookie, muz_j, coltair and 5 others like this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

wonder what tyre model that will be on? :rolleyes:

16. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

I maybe wrong, but i think S397 want to run this ui at the same time with new online competition system. With a new server infrastructure and so on. 2 years is not so long then

Emery likes this.
  17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Marisa they said is gonna take some time
    until then i ll play the GT cars from RSS at assetto corsa

18. Emery

Emery Registered

You do know that 64-bit has been the rF2 default for a couple years now and isn't, in itself, a new move, right? And that 64-bit was available for about a year before it became the default? All that is happening is 32-bit will no longer be an option.

In light of that, I'm not sure how you see this change as driving optimizations. o_O

19. torig

torig Registered

Let me answer in the same vein.
    You do realize that no longer having to maintain two code bases frees up dev time?
    You do realize that having a homogeneous environment in terms of clients may allow specific optimisations to be sought (since the headache of porting them is no longer there).

I was mainly counting on less distraction due to the 32bit builds, but probably with the new UI we’ll see more optimisations. Believe Marcel spoke or this long ago (ie ISIS code lacked multithreading and such).

Fremen78, gabrielof and DaREALMastaD like this.
  20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Sorry to insist but it seems important.

Is it true ???

Because if it's true, it's a big problem.

Indeed realism is the DNA of rF2, so if for something so important the realroad does not correspond to reality on wet track, I consider it a major problem.

If this statement from UsedMomo is false, can S397 deny it ?

Thank you !