Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dennis Douna

Dennis Douna Registered

2. 4thworld

4thworld

@Dennis Douna , thanks, can you give us some details on the session and on what happened during that session?

3. Dennis Douna

Dennis Douna Registered

I can and it might not be the comments you would expect. I have done a double test-session with the GT3 on Sebring (5 laps lone practice session), using low graphical setting, and where I did experience quite some stutter-like behavior in the past months, both releases felt rather smoothly this time. As I remember I did not have any stutters and certainly not any out of realtimes.

4. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

5. 4thworld

4thworld

Build update ID [3778596] :
    - Improvement to FFB thread-main thread communication (the logs showed this to be a cause of spikes).

We are probably going to merge the changes so far with our master build so let me know if something is broken for you atm with the latest build.
    Cheers.

branch name: public-test
    password : UpERYPhIblEHorTiO
    verify your files via Steam after joining the branch

1. Select rFactor 2 from steam game library, right click and select properties.
    A dialog box with a number of tabs will appear, your looking for one that says "BETAS".
    2. select the "BETAS" tab it by clicking on it.
    You will see 2 things now, a drop down menu and a text box to enter a beta access code.
    3. enter the password provided,
    4. select public-beta from the dropdown menu

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    The Iron Wolf likes this.
  6. 4thworld

4thworld

@Dennis Douna with "double test-session" this means both in public-test and in "default" (no branch selected)?
    Did you removed plugins since the last time that you had issues?

@helyesadi can't see anything wrong from those logs, can you ask the user having issues to post here following the instructions (join the beta, remove the plugins, turn realtime logging on), so he can upload the logs if the problem shows up again?
    Thanks

Adam Helyes likes this.
  7. Dennis Douna

Dennis Douna Registered

Both tests were private practice offline sessions.

The only plugin I can think of is the Motec plugin, which I did indeed uninstall a short while ago.

8. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

I've disabled realtime logging. Since I had it on, the game is on the verge of freezing between sessions. I've already missed a race start over the game taking long to log.

9. 4thworld

4thworld

@Yoeri Gijsen if you join the public-test branch there the RealtimeLogging is way faster you shouldn't have any issues.

10. 4thworld

4thworld

Build update ID [3782463]:
    - Internal changes to physics timers.

We are probably going to merge the changes so far with our master build so let me know if something is broken for you atm with the latest build.
    Cheers.

A dialog box with a number of tabs will appear, your looking for one that says "BETAS".
    You will see 2 things now, a drop down menu and a text box to enter a beta access code.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  11. Paweł Andrzejewski

Paweł Andrzejewski Registered

12. 4thworld

4thworld

@pablos , thanks can you give us some detail on what happened?
    Also, your system specs would be useful.

From the logs it seems that replay recording is causing you having spikes.
    Can you disable replay and try again to see if it fixes the freezes?
    cheers

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. Paweł Andrzejewski

Paweł Andrzejewski Registered

@4thworld I spotted some freezes during fun drive. From my point of view it looks like simulation is stopping but other things (like HUD, timings) are still working, resulting me in laptime loss. I've written three moments in the timestamps.txt file when you can clearly see on replay what's happening to me.

My specs:
    CPU: i5-7600
    GPU: GTX 1070
    RAM: 8GB DDR4
    System SSD and game installed on HDD

Other issue I got during this session was constant slowed down replay. This happens sparsely, it's actually a coincidence I recorded two issues at once. While I am at the garage and replay status was *live*, everything runs smoothely but turning on replay both in garage and on track causes everything to slow down. CPU bar is filled then in 100% including this tiny line under purple main bar.

I will disable recording later today and pass new logs.

Cheers

14. 4thworld

4thworld

@pablos , yeah replay playback slowdown are a different issue.
    Your logs showed some spikes while recording the replay, let us know how it goes with the replay turned off

15. Davvid

Davvid Registered

I don't have any physics freezing issues but I tried this beta build and I'd like to add my two cents.

On official build I don't have any cpu load issues. Running 22 AIs takes ~40% cpu load on all cores (Ryzen 4-core @ 3.8 GHz) - no sweat.

When I tried the very same scenario, same settings but on current public-test (3782463) cpu load doubled ! Load on all cores spiked to about 80-85% and it's really on the edge.

My question: is something massively changed regarding cpu load ? Because now it's very very bad.

Extra info: HPET On.
    @4thworld

16. 4thworld

4thworld

@Davvid
    1) can you post your logs?
    2) where are you getting the cpu utilization info? from windows task manager? is the cpu utilization increased on some particular core or globally?
    3) what is the exact model of your CPU?
    4) is today the first time you try the beta branch?

thanks

17. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Hi,
    1. It was offline testing with AI's and probably get overwritten by now. I can make new comparison: would you like both logs from stable and public-test?
    2. Of course I monitored them in realtime (1s interval) for each core (Afterburner OSD). And no, all cores are loaded very similar. It's usual though on every build for me.
    3. Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.8 GHz all-cores.
    4. Yes, first time.

18. 4thworld

4thworld

Build update ID [3785112]:
    - FFB thread improvements.

@Davvid tells us if your CPU usage is still high with this build.

Cheers.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  19. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

20. Davvid

Davvid Registered

I know about it but I'm @ 425.31. It's rFactor2.exe process.

Yes, that version is definitely lighter than previous but still loads more than stable. Was 80-85%, now ~55-60%. And stable is ~40-45%. I guess it should be visible in the logs but I didn't analyze them.

Here are both logs (stable and the 3785112): https://www85.zippyshare.com/v/mWY32vKk/file.html

These are two race sessions with 22 AIs - first 2 laps on same mod/track/settings. Only builds differ.

Adam Helyes likes this.