How to use a custom helmet

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Andrew Hollom, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I've created a livery for the MP4/8, and that works fine and when I race online, as everyone taking part can see it. I did this by the usual create folder, for car number 7 in my case, so I have an MP48_7 folder in which is my Andrew_alt.dds file. Others in the league have their own liveries too, but we nearly all have Mika Hakkinen's helmet, so I designed my own, but despite Googling and searching this forum and YouTube, I can't make it work.

The YouTube video says create a Misc folder inside the folder mentioned above, and place an alt_7_Helmet.dds file in it and it should show up when in car (i.e. not in the showroom), but this doesn't work for me. I have tried many variations on the above, all to no avail.

Could someone please offer some advice?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you have more than one file, you need to pack it into a mas file, which can be found rFactor 2\Support\Tools, it's pretty much winzip for rfactor. You would put Andrew_alt.dds and Andrew_altHELMET.dds into that, and save it as Andrew_alt.mas, then you select that in-game.

3. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

Hello Coutie, and thanks for the tip. Since you suggested what the helmet's filename should be, I tried it as an unpackaged DDS file, and it works! I assume it will synchronise across to other users on a server as per the car's skin? If I complete your suggestion and package these two files into a MAS file, will this also synchronise across to other users on a server too?

Thanks again!

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and when in a mas file, it will be compressed and upload faster.