What does competition system consist of

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Apr 22, 2019.

1. williang83

williang83 Registered

Is it something only about tools and penalty logic (being very simplistic here) for servers and private leagues or it also consists of regular official races schedules? I'd appreciate any link with a full description about competition system.

I mean one of the key success, at least for me, of iRacing is the fact that there is a known schedule that cover most needs and often will be filled with others to race (in my local time). Since I'm time limited, i'm trying to understand where i want to invest my money and time, whether or not rF2 is the sim i'm looking for. Surely physics wise it is the best, but anything else is heavily lacking IMO.

Will competition fill one of those lacks? I mean if i still have to follow a league strict schedule then no way.

I've already opt-out both r3e, PC2 and AC for one reason or another. So i've left with ACC, rF2 and iR.

PS: ib4 someone says that AI is great. Sure, when it comes to follow a racing line with a competitive pace they are good but that's it, they are still very dumb and robotic (no sign of intelligence AT ALL).

Binny likes this.
  2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I would say the main aim of the new competition system is to have regular, official competitions and races. Competitions will be built out of events, where each event can consist of multiple sessions. We can configure those in a way very similar to iRacing, where an event lasts a week and daily, every N hours, we have a race that you can participate in. All results for that week will then be aggregated in a smart way into a score for that event, and scores for events will be aggregated to crown a winner of the competition. Now if we can fill those races... that will be up to (all of) you! :)

azwris, Nikoelo, patsax95 and 22 others like this.
  3. williang83

williang83 Registered

Thank you very much for this quickly reply. I was hoping for something like this.

4. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Alex72 likes this.
  5. Binny

Binny Guest

@Marcel Offermans any info on how leagues will be able to use the competition system or is it only for official content ?

6. Depco

Depco Registered

Would a league be able to setup an entire series? Would we be able to use the competition infrastructure to manage and maintain the series for points and statistics?

7. Filip

Filip Registered

Keep in mind more frequent races will lead to less people in a race.

avenger82 likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

SimRacingSystem does races that goes on and on frequently and it doesn't seem to have an effect to lead to less and less participation. At least it didn't as I was participating there (it's been few months since I used it the last time).

I think for those who are not dedicated to plan their racing schedule strictly it is always great to have few options. And even better if you really like it you can repeat it a few times.

Collecting points, climbing up in rankings, improving your racecraft (which in srs could be indicated by average incidents), fighting for good position in championship, trying to get in fastest laptimes list... it is all very fun, and adds great deal of goals, rather than just driving.

Also AC had RSR live timing, which has always been very awesome application mod for AC... just jumping in random track with random car and seeing someones laptime immediately adds significant amount of competition.

Really looking forward for new UI for rF2. But the new UI is not the most important thing, but how competition system will be integrated. Very interested.

I am also hoping from competition system that it will make use of wide variety of content. SimRacing system does great job with that. As I used to participate in Assetto Corsa online racing actively, I have learned that without some well organised central system for online competition simracers are very dull, static, stale about how they participate - very low diversity of content being used, also very low diversity of racing formats, no diversity of racing conditions at all ( this applies to srs too).

So without proper direction for how and what. Online racing will always be: practice server at Nordschleife with some random cars, or five laps race at Spa with GT3. Never raining. Always sunny and mid day.

I hope the things that rF2 competition system will consist of, will make online racing very diverse and very involving.

Alex72 and GeraArg like this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

rF2 is a modding platform, way too much content out there. So I agree more races can reduce participation. Make this 3 or 4 times a week, the other days people use to host their own leagues. At least till there is enough people to have it every day

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

I disagree on the dilution issue : Polls made on this forum show that average RF2 is way older than average "other racing products" , older usually mean busier , this mean that when an "old grumpy" has free time, it probably has free time in THAT moment, and can't helicopter around for 1 hour waiting for a scheduled event. So, I don't see a problem in having some server running different kind of event at once, simply people will choose those they can do: if I have time for a quick race at 15.00, I won't wait for a 40" race at 16.00 , if there is an event suitable to me, I will join, otherwise, I will pass completely on it until next window.
    Other than that, if I have to choose between a race with 20 pilots on a race/car combo I dislike/ don't know/can't avoid crashing , I prefer to join a 10 pilot race on a race/car combo I like/can race with.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

@mantasisg answered for me. SRS has that system and it works perfect, it is not the same series/track every hour but it is repeated two or three times on the same day, It doesn't matter where you are that there is always going to be a race in a schedule that fits you, it also indicates where the server are hosted, Europe , USA or the leagues can include their servers and filters for the drivers can participate (in my case Argentina). The only bad thing that has is the netcode of AC, sucks bad. ;)
    You can check yourself using SRS, you will see that each race is usually separated into two or three splits and the weekend up to five.

[​IMG]

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Great thread BTW.

I'm trying iracing for a year hoping also I'll catch their ai in that time. Also I'm hoping rf2 online is as good as in a way as I'm reluctant for the 110dollar renew fee - Got 50% off as new member.

But hoping as a busier grumpy old dude lol more frequent races, every hour for sprint races I find, 20-30 mins waiting around but much. Every half hour be cool.
    But yeah looking fwd to this and sure will bring me online much more . If its as slick and accessible as iracing.

And please vary the Content! geez am I bored with the mx5 at Charlotte lol

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

iR schedules are awful, they overlap or are separated by too small windows. Also they fail to populate various combinations, diversity is poor fallowed by mantra that you should focus just on few cars, but looks like it also applies for tracks in there.

But SRS has always felt perfect to me for its schedules, flows well.

Regarding spacing out races, there has to be a sweet spot. S397 will surely make it well.

14. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

My hope is that the competition system has the ability to build offline comps and events as well.

Bernardo likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@t0p5ecret I wouldn't hope for that on initial release of the new UI at least. That way you aren't disappointed (very likely) but might be surprised (very unlikely). Online competition and timing is a very different matter to offline championships.

Regarding saturation/dilution I think the content needs to be limited - no point having 15 combinations of cars and tracks running at a time - but the number of races shouldn't be too limited. If you only have a handful of races each week you're reducing availability for a particular timezone to one or two races - unless you just ignore certain timezones completely. Factor in life and participation becomes difficult, a chore, and doesn't happen.

16. Gioel Guazzo

Gioel Guazzo Registered

I like what Marcel said ... but it will be up to us to fill the servers with the races. I hope there will also be competitions for the fastest lap with a certain type of car on a certain track. And as has been said above do not exceed in too many different series ... otherwise you will find yourself with 3-4 drivers on the track. I personally would do a series with karts (many formula one drivers started like this), one with the Puma 052 ... or another beginner's car like the Mazda Mx5 for iRacing, and of course the GT3 where most pilots will be. And it would take servers in Europe, Usa and Australia so all rfactor 2 lovers like me could take part in a race or a time - trial at any time of day or night ... surely the system of points, rankings, stats will increase participation. It will be difficult at the beginning to understand if it is better to have a race every hour, every 2 hours ... and so on. If there will be a lot of people taking part you will be able to insert more and more series, like historical cars, formula E, Formula One, GT4, Indycar etc ...

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Will there be the opportunity for pick up and go races for those who don't have time for leagues? Just for fun and stuff?

Fremen78 and Filip like this.
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Are more events even needed tho? If everything is a league you join when you can and ignore the points part. Every race is a pick up race in the end :)
    Inb4 "huh I dont want to take it too serious", that's a myth. You'll race with people on your skill level or safety rating, you dont need to worry about that

avenger82 likes this.
  19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I see your point. I'm thinking more of people that are just like "I fancy a race tonight, what looks good?" Same when I go online in AC cos I feel like doing a run in a track day server.

Alex72 likes this.
  20. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Although I would love for this to work, I'm quite sceptical about this. I'd like to know if this system also has series that will be 1 race per week for a championship for example. This is because what turned me off of iracing aside from physics, was how their 'championship' worked. Trying to get into the SOF was just luck. I had won the first 3 races in split 1, yet I was 3rd in the championship. That's why I couldn't care about the championship anymore and eventually stopped driving altogether.

I also suggest that for more difficult cars to setup/race, like the formula e for example, to not have many races. This will make people practice a bit more, before joining a race, maybe avoiding a few pileups. This brings me to the next problem.

So yay, the system works! Full grid on Hong Kong with the FE cars! Race starts, but oh no... There is that very tight chicane which definitely 1 person will screw up at the start. He hits the wall, stands still stuck in the wall. But hey this is rF2, so the car is still driveable and he wants to continue. So this person doesn't quit. He can't go backwards because the cars behind are stuck behind him. Will there be a safety car then, or even a red flag? How will that be called?

I've got a few more problems, but I think this is enough food for thought atm