Editing AIW Files

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by memoNo1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hello everybody.

I have a question about editing AIW files.
    How it works .. there are enough tutorials.
    My question relates to the process of editing.
    I have to drive as fast and clean a lap as possible for editing, but unfortunately I'm not the fastest. Now, if I put down a mediocre lap time on the course, does that mean that the AI only uses this time as a guideline?
    Or is it possible in retrospect by the option of learning for the AI, as well as the talent files, the possibility that in retrospect the AI is faster than my given round in the AIW file?

BTW sry for my bad English. I hope you all know what I mean..

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would say that it is more important to drive a clean lap than a fast lap.
    Use a car with that you can drive exact lines and that don't slips.
    The bigger problem is, that an AIW file never fits for all kind of cars.

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Exactly what Bernd said.
    It's more important that you do a clean and steady lap following the racing line as close as possible and without any jerky movements than doing it fast.

memoNo1 likes this.
  4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Thank you for your answers. So that means the AI can be through other steps faster (Talent Files / Learning)? I drive mostly the Ford GTE. An F1 would not fit because of other braking points as an example? A Clio would be too slow, right?

I would like to use the Lester Special Edition with the GTE vehicles. This is from AIW file but very modest .. hopefully that will be fixed

5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I've been having issues myself trying to import vehicles into Devmode, but if you drive mostly GT cars, then it's best to use a GT car or something similar to do the AIW just because with an F1 for example you'd follow a different racing line.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It don't matters which car you use for driving the AIW lines.
    As @fsuarez79 has said, the line is important, not the car with that you drive it.
    But as said, you should use a car with that you can drive clean and exact lines without slides.
    And tracks like lester or norisring are a bit special, because of the walls.
    It is a bit complicated to explain for what you have to take care when you create an AIW file, it's about experience that you get, the more AIW files you have made. ;)
    So just do it and check how the AI behaves and then adapt the line at that areas, where the AI has problems.
    Sometimes it additionally has to be done by editing the corridors by hand.

7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

OK. Then I'll give it a try. Many Thanks.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Good luck and if you need some help, feel free to contact me.

memoNo1 likes this.
  9. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Remember to turn on some of the driving aids so you can make life easier, and consider adding temporary helper objects. E.g. if you think you have a tendency to turn in too early/too late, try adding some non-solid object at the proper turn-in point.

10. Brent

Brent Registered

I agree the car you use doesn't matter as much as the line you drive. Keep in mind the width of the car you intend to use. I recently created an AIW using the skip barber and even though I was leaving a gap to the walls it wasn't enough. The vehicle I intended to use is much wider and the AI often brush the wall. Say you intend to run GT3 cars you might want to not hug the curbs as close with the skippy or the GT3s will tend to drop wheels off track.

11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hello everybody.
    I have now tried to edit an AIW file.
    But it fails because I do not get a vehicle installed in DevMode. I copy the vehicle from the Install folder to the DevMode Vehicle folder and each time the DevMode crashes while loading the track.
    With the Skip Barber the route Laguna Seca invites you immediately.
    Do I really need to unpack the vehicle files and then edit individual files so I get my wish vehicle in DevMode?
    What else do you have to do here?
    There was a program that has the files automatically installed in the DevMode.
    Where is that to be found?

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

It's been dealt with. Have found the tool.

Another question.. what do you mean with that?

13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I think he just means add an object so you know where to turn in. Make it non solid so you don't hit it.