3ds Max 2017 Plugin

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaREALMastaD, Feb 7, 2019.

1. roberteker

roberteker Registered

Thank you for pointing this out. I began using Max in 2017 but even then it was the slate editor that was the default, so I was quite surprised when the rFactor 2 plugin crashed when using it.

However, now I have issues with normal maps. The Intel Texture Works plugin for Photoshop only seems to have a single compression option for normal maps:

Capture.PNG

But when I choose it, I get the following from the gmotor material plugin:

Untitled-1.png

Do I really have to use an old non-CC version of Photoshop to get the old nVidia dds plugin to get a compressed normal map working with rFactor2?

2. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

Ok, first of all: DUMP the INTEL DDS thing. Trash it :D
    If you want to make (best) DDS files, better off using NVidia plugins. They work correctly.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
    ;)

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I've not really exported anything major with the 2017 plugins yet. Can you post an example of what's happening?

4. McNolo

McNolo Registered

This is the object exported with the previous plugin version. The materials are correct:

[​IMG]

And this is the object exported with the new plugin version:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the drain material is wrong. I think the problem is with material IDs, because the drain and the kerbs are the same object, and this happens with other objects wich have more than one material ID.

DaREALMastaD and Mauro like this.
  5. Coutie

I tried it and I couldn't get it to happen. You're going between 2017 and 2012? If you have separate files, maybe a material is named incorrectly in 2017?

6. McNolo

McNolo Registered

The initial project comes from Max 2012, but I have been working with Max 2017 for some time now. Those two images that you see, I have exported them with Max 2017 one after the other, just replacing the plugin. So, I don't understand what happend.

Have you tried two different materials with two IDs on the same object?

In any case, I will try to import everything into a new project, maybe it will works.

Edit, it's the same file.

7. Coutie

Today I exported something with a lot of different materials and it's fine. So if I understand your using the 2012 plugin in 2017, and it works correctly, but the 2017 in 2017 doesn't?

8. McNolo

McNolo Registered

I think I have not explained well, sorry.

I no longer use Max 2012. The two versions of the plugin are from Max 2017. In the first screenshot, the object was exported with the version that did not export the specular reflection correctly, you know, before this one. The second, with the latest version, but I'm always talking about Max 2017.

I just tried to import everything into a new project but it does not work, it still has the same fault.

9. McNolo

McNolo Registered

@Coutie These are the two versions available so far of the plugin for 3D Max 2017. The most recent (which is the one that is available in the game folder currently) is what generates these problems with the materials. The previous one, the specular reflection does not work well, but there are no problems with the materials.

https://mega.nz/#!QhlzBSQL!lpLvihgt15qyY448U5pCmkc3XmheXlEAwotPfsgPyLE

I leave here the two versions so you can try them. I have tried many different things to find the cause of the problem, but nothing works. In my opinion there is a bug in the plugin.

djbob, roberteker and Mauro like this.
  10. roberteker

roberteker Registered

11. Coutie

It should work, but you will probably have to manually direct it to the right folder on install.

12. Coutie

According to my folder, I had a new version today, and it fixed some issues I was seeing with material properties.

Mauro likes this.
  13. McNolo

McNolo Registered

But, It's ready for users yet? Can I test it now or it will come with the next update?

Thanks.

14. Coutie

I don't know, I just looked there today and it says it downloaded today. It worked for me, maybe it will for you, if you have it.

McNolo likes this.
  15. McNolo

McNolo Registered

@Coutie I think the current plugins are still the same, but in any case, they don't work for me.
    I say it so you know that the problem still exists and do not consider it as solved.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  16. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

@McNolo I think you're right with the newer 2017 plugin. The February version one I was using wasn't causing the issues I am having with the newer one. I'm glad you posted the link because I just changed over to the newer March one and started having material issues as well. I thought I made some weird change or something that was causing my exports to work incorrectly but I reverted back to the February version, exported and it's now working again. My issue is with alpha transparency and multiple textures on one GMT. This is mainly for the digital gauge and with the new plugin for 2017, it was only displaying the first attached GMT and seemed like it was basically ignoring the alpha transparency. Hopefully this will help others if they were having the same problem as me. Thanks McNolo.

[EDIT] I think you are right with the material ids having something to do with it....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    McNolo likes this.
  17. Coutie

For me, the 2017 plug-in is ok, but the 2012 64bit one is not exporting material settings correctly.

18. djbob

djbob Registered

I'm getting the Mat ID 1 applied to all the other Mat ID's in the Multi/Sub-Object, using the 2017 plugin.
    This problem goes away with the 2012 plugin.

19. Coutie

Are you using the latest version from the support>tools folder?

20. darcidm

darcidm Registered

Sometimes when I export objects the Normal it's inverted in the Showroom but in the 3ds Max is right.

How do I solve this?