3 monitor setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zmitya, Apr 23, 2019.

1. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi Gents,

Currently I have a single monitor setup (a 240Hz monitor (Full HD)), but these days (more and more often :) ) I am thinking about buying 2 additional monitors. The current monitor is driven by an nVidia GTX 1070Ti.

What would happen if the additional monitors will be only 60Hz ? Can the center monitor still driven @240Hz or will it be reduced to 60Hz like the weaker monitors ?

Thanks,
    Mitya

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think Nvidia surround will force the same update rate, and the game won't allow different rates for what is effectively different parts of the same image.

Maybe you can get better side screens and run triples at 120, with 240 still available for single screen? Many games don't use triples well anyway.

3. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi Lazza,
    What does it mean ? Does rF2 handle triples well ? Does it have issues ?
    I don't really care about other games, I just focus on rF2..

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Driving games, sims especially, tend to use them quite well. rF2 is above average, but it needs your screens to be nicely lined up vertically with your eyes at mid-monitor level (not necessarily at same height; see here). Some games allow even more flexibility but it's rare.

Many non-driving games have horribly stretched UI on triples, or can limit the UI but don't support multiview so you need to have the screens flat (parallel) to avoid distortion - which reduces FOV. To be fair things like first-person-shooters tend to have level design elements that make higher FOV break the illusion somewhat, and they will restrict FOV even on single screens.

In summary: in rF2 you'll be fine, and any other decent driving sim you'll also be fine. For best results a little flexibility in screen mounting is ideal, especially with different screen models, as when things don't line up correctly it can be a bit annoying.

5. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

@zmitya I would suggest if at all possible try a triple screen setup somewhere if possible, I was lucky enough to be able to do this at home before I jumped in and I was glad I did. I found triples to be a distraction and it actually made me slower than a single monitor, and I'm considering an ultrawide instead now.

By default your triple setup will run all monitors at the lowest supported refresh rate so as stated above that should be a major consideration especially if you are used to running at 240Hz and you have the card to support that frame rate.

The other thing I learned, which was extremely frustrating is that monitors, even the same model from the same manufacturer but from a different batch, may have different refresh rate sync polarity which means that it's a nightmare to get them working in Nvidia Surround.
    My main monitor was +/+ and the two outlying where +/- which meant that I had to do all kinds of unsupported driver fiddling to get them to play nicely together.

David Kolody likes this.
  6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I have had two different triple screen setups now and no technical issues. Only line up issues but i was doing it wrong. Also triple setup give a sense of speed you dont get on singles, and of course more life like FOV. Personally i recommend it. More immersion as well seeing cars coming up on the sides and being able to look into corners. All matter of taste tho.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

I think you'll be disappointed in fps performance with a 1070Ti unless you turn down graphic settings. If that's a typo and you have a 1080Ti, then no problem.

8. zmitya

zmitya Registered

thanks for the post...
    there is no typo unfortunately :)
    I already have everything turned off, so that is not an issue..

9. zmitya

zmitya Registered

unfortunately I have nobody who does have triple setup, I need to ask around...
    good idea..

10. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Ok, thanks Lazza, thats enough for me :)

11. zmitya

zmitya Registered

that is the last thing I want, I don't even want to loose a tenth ..
    hm, an UW monitor, that sounds interesting..

12. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Took some time for me to get used to triples, but after that I was much more consistent with driving. A friend of mine has an 144hz ultrawide monitor, where I test ACC sometimes(because its still unplayable with triples for me). Can't play with a wheel there, but its much better with UWHD than single screen. And you won't have performance-trouble with your 1070ti.

With my 1080, I can't get 60fps at night and start of the race since a month or two. I tweaked my graphic settings to never get under 60fps at night before, but these settings don't work anymore(drop below 40 sometimes). Even on low settings only 2-3 fps gain. Don't know whats wrong now. Created new .json and .ini files, cleared shaders/cbash folders installed new graphic drivers. Nothing changed. All other games run like before. Will try with a fresh install next, but I don't think there will be any difference.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@zmitya I can't argue with the experience of any particular person, but I don't consider a slowdown a necessary consequence of going to triples. Years ago I was told something similar when I finally upgraded my PC so I could move off the lowest possible graphics settings (in rF1!), the theory was I would be distracted by the extra objects and everything looking better. In practice I still didn't look around when driving, your focus is the next apex. I'm still amazed when I look at replays, at how good the game looks. You just don't see it when you're driving.

With triples and proper FOV it's actually easier to judge distances, braking zones are less compressed, sharp corners look properly sharp and you get a better appreciation for speeds (actually if you haven't used real FOV before, fast Formula cars at Copse and similar corners are frightening). On the downside there are definitely some technical barriers, and even if everything is running smoothly and you have multiple screens with high enough refresh rates (something you'll be conscious of, having a 240Hz now) you'll need a GPU capable of pumping all those pixels out.

FOV is its own topic mind you, but it's something worth pursuing. You can do it on a single screen, but it needs to be a good size to be manageable. The other question mark is VR, if you end up there within a couple of years it may not be worth the outlay for more screens now.

Alex72 likes this.
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

How do you reconcile these statements? 1070ti is not quite a 1080 in performance (roughly -5%), so don't you think @mitya will have the same trouble? And for someone used to a 240Hz single-screen, don't you think he'll feel 60-70 fps (and occasionally less) as being not so good?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Emery I understood that to mean with a single ultrawide rather than triples, but it's probably worth the mention.

Juwe Lahann likes this.
  16. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks, @Lazza... yes, that makes more sense to me now.

Juwe Lahann likes this.
  17. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

As @Lazza already pointed out, I was talking about single ultrawide with 1070ti. But with 3 viewports @1080p he possibly may get performance issues at night and the start of the race, because I suddenly can't get steady 60fps/3*1080p, even on really low settings with my 1080.
    Offtopic:
    Every thing was fine until the rf2-update before the S397 Sebring 12h race. Maybe the problem is on my side, although I tried nearly everything logical to fix this, except an all fresh install of rf2. I want to wait with that until I have a new SSD. And if that won't fix my issue, I'm going to ask about it in the "technical support" section.

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I used three screens with a 1070ti for a couple of years with no problems, so you should be fine.

19. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

At night with (AI)opponents around you(had no opportunity to test online with more than 3 others at darkness)? Do you still use that setup? I had no problems too, until 1-2 months ago, even with decent settings. Didn't change anything systemwise and other games are still running great, but seems the problem is on my side, sadly can't figure out..

20. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Last night race I did was vec 24 hours of le mans a couple of years ago, and I don't remember having issues. My 1070 caught on fire somehow a couple of months ago, so I can't test with it anymore.