Released Formula E Gen2 + Lester Special Edition!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 19, 2019.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I thought the older isi tyre model was worse!... too light and didn't feel like a rack at all But that's my opinion.. And like asses everyone's got one!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    CoNa likes this.
  2. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I did some Nordschleife-laps (1.0) and it seems, the tyres getting very slippery over 70° C. Even when not pushing during the outlap, there is much less grip on the fast lap. My best lap time on 250 Kw was a 7.00,8 (19° C, medium-rubber, partly cloudy) and with about the same top-speeds of current GT3-cars i expected faster times and more grip. The 400 kg less weight compare to GT3-cars should be more than enough to compensate the lack of slick-tyres and lower downforce. The fast corner seems actually fine and even a bit faster than with GT3-cars, but the slower corners are like driving on eggs. The 2018 car feels a lot more stable even on default setup, but the battery capacity doesn't allow a fast lap. Here's my setup.

Mydriaz likes this.
  3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Formula E Gen2 Updated
    v1.05
    - Corrected Mahindra livery numbers

4. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

pkelly likes this.
  5. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

The magic of the slick tires, is an another beast compared to any road tire belside the best can be. IMO the eco friendly Michelin used in the Formula E may be comparable to a Toyo 888R in the best case and there is a world of difference.

Here they have a side by side between the two cars. The Audi have the default setup (it's a flan), medium tires and 45 liters at the start of the lap, the Formula E with 250kw, tuned setup, weight distribution, brake distribution, etc.
    Easily 6:46 for the GT3 and 7:04 for the Formula (I can go down 5 seconds without all the mistakes I made :p)

For example in the flugplatz corner you can swing in that curve like a Mad Max chasing Inmortal Joe with the GT3 (~220/230km/h), the car have tons of grip but the Formula E don't, mostly because for the eco vegan tires.
    Also, in the GT3 you can see the signal reference (43 board) in the Carrusel and with the monstruosity of halo that Formula E has, you don't. Another point for the car with a real engine. :p

6. Leynad

Leynad Registered

You seem rather clueless about today's semi-slicks, that are far better than slicks 20 years ago or likely even 10. The Porsche GT3 RS2 did the lap in 6:40 with street legal semi slicks from Michelin. And my critic is about the temp range with very suddon grip loss over 70° C, which seems to be a bit too harsh. The overheating of the tyres might be a track issue as well, but the traction in relation to the temps should be IMO more linear that far below 100°C.

7. Da_Da

Da_Da Registered

Which is the fastest configuration of eMotor Torque and Regen? I mean, if you have to do an hotlap or a quali lap what would be the best config? I guess the eMotor at 250 KW, and the regen?

DrivingFast likes this.
  8. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I guess it depends on the track and first of all: your liking. I prefer it on max, so the car brakes automatically off throttle and once you get used to your setting, you should stick with it.

Da_Da likes this.
  9. Da_Da

Da_Da Registered

Uhm. From my (really poor) understanding of this car: I remember reading something about the hybrid system of another sim (dunno if I can name the "competition":D, don't want to make a comparison), the ERS system, especially on LMP1 cars, where high settings of MGU-K recovery means longer braking zones. Now using these "principles" on a Formula E car since it's always about recover and restore energy, an higher regen mode means a longer braking zone, while regen at 0 means a short braking zone.

So, using Lester first chicane as example, with regen at 9 I lift at 150 meters, the car slows down, and at 100 meters I press the brake, or I can start to brake before the 150 meters mark. With regen at 0 I wouldn't need to lift since I don't want to recover energy, so I should be able to hit the brakes after the 150 meters mark, like between 150 and 100 and brake like I would do in a normal F1 car. But I always end up locking up, or if I press the brake gently I can't make the turn forcing me to brake a bit earlier. And I end up being faster with regen at 9. Maybe I'm missing something about the comprehension of this car, I thought that lift and coast would be slower than a normal braking

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. Pete Duggan

Pete Duggan Registered

Please update the liveries and sound

11. Leynad

Leynad Registered

LMP1 concepts are very different and the electric engine is front-wheel drive including the energy-recovery. I certainly don't want front-bias braking especially without ABS.

The FE-recovery don't hurt the brake-distance because it's RW-only and i don't brake or lift before 100 m at Lester T1 whatever regen-mode is on. But i don't run the 58/42 brake bias from the default setup either.

Da_Da likes this.
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The Porsche could regen on straights if I remember rightly. But Audi and Toyota could only regen on braking/lifting.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  13. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Porsche use MGU-H, and MGU-K, the first solution generate energy from an electric motor "attached" to the turbo wheel (quite instering solution if you think about the problems of torsion between one end of the shaft and the other in something that turns extremely fast) and the other electric engine is attacked to the drivetrain/gearbox.

14. Da_Da

Da_Da Registered

I tried, and tried and tried, now I feel more comfortable with the car. I set regen at 9, changed the bias from 58/42 to 53/47, but maybe I'll try with 55 to the front, with regen at 9 and the bias to the rear I easily lose the back of the car. Now I'm able to brake at the 100m mark without locking up, same for the rest of the track. My best is 1:29.2, don't know if it's any good. With lift and coasting my best is 1:28.9, I guess I'm able to carry more speed since I start braking with a lower speed

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Got to try a car finally. It is quite awesome, did not know that it has two gears. It is immediately much more interesting because of that. I don't really know how to use this car yet. But I guess first gear is for slowest turns only, so there is barely any gears shifting anyway. But some is better than none. Without gears it is difficult to perceive the rhythm of race track to me. Hshifter cars are my favorite, so I am already "suffering" from paddle shifter cars.

I drove with default setup so I saw there are 50kw more. On 200kw car feels underpowered to me. In turns the car is quite fun. Without pronounced sounds of internal combustion engine it is more difficult to anticipate oversteer, but I liked it, because in my opinion usually simracing cars are too suggestive for oversteer, to the point that you can let FFB to do the driving for you and just fool yourself that you are doing it. I did not even put good pace with Formula E, but it feels like it needs concentration to be fast, so that is awesome, it seems to be a good sport.

First time I drove with halo structure. I noticed that I want to look over it, as it blocks great chunk of view in the front center, it can block view of entire car in the front in relatively close distance, does block quite a bit of perception for braking point, so you can't rely as much on your distance and speed feel, and have to watch for braking markers more. I feel that having a VR headset would be an advantage with halo cars, as you could make a look over side of it.

16. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

For sure yes, see my vidéo and you will see I'm often off the middle axe to drive.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ster-special-edition.62937/page-3#post-984599
    NOTE: You can find an upgrade on this car to make the Halo 10% transparent (in Tuning when selecting the car)

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

R.Noctua, Emery, Spyro and 4 others like this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Where did this come from. I did not say that I want to turn it off. Nor Mad_King said such thing.

But I heard some users don't use H shifters and clutch "because they can". Now thats double standard for realism, when user uses first opportunity to "cheat", then that user certainly cares little about realism and immersion.

Of course gearbox stuff is irrelevant in this topic.

19. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Default HUD steal more space than halo.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Stereo vision makes a single object in front of you basically disappear if you're looking past it (assuming it's narrower than the gap between your eyes). Any mod that forces the halo on, or less than about 50% transparency available, is a no go - in my eyes :p

But hey, VR users rejoice!

Davvid, stonec, Redpxl and 1 other person like this.