AI pumping gas pedal in corners

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Francis Maheu, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Francis Maheu

Francis Maheu Registered

Hello there,

Sorry if it has been asked before, but i'm not sure which wording would be best to describe my problem.

Any track, any car will have this type of strange AI behaviour.

You'll basically see the AI attacking a corner in a lower gear and...pumping? the gaz pedal to keep speed and trajectory.

Anybody knows how to solve that problem?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's what AI do in rF/rF2. There's no fix.

3. Balazs Floszmann

Balazs Floszmann Registered

rF2 built for online racing, IMO no need to focus to AI.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Balazs Floszmann IMO it would be good to fix this at some point. rF2 has had (good) AI from the start, so no reason not to improve it where possible. But we know at the moment online is the focus.

Emery, Aceking, Ho3n3r and 2 others like this.
  5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Please :rolleyes:
    The only sim built for online racing is iRacing and even they are incorporating AI. Just because you don't race AI doesn't mean nobody else does

R.Noctua, Swampy, Emery and 15 others like this.
  6. Balazs Floszmann

I agree with You. ;)
    That's why I wrote "in my opinion" :)

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I would conservatively estimate that over 90% of the laps in rF2 are done offline. Online racing is really a minority thing in all current sims except for iRacing. Hopefully this will change with the upcoming competition system.

Aceking and Mike Tobin like this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that data?

Balazs Floszmann and ADSTA like this.
  9. Felix Schendel

Felix Schendel Registered

Thats
    Thats how controllers work or lets say how they are only able to work (math problem). This wikipedia entry may help to understand why https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@fexee There's no inherent reason the AI has to drive like that, I believe AMS remedied this from the rF1 AI code for example. I think it's simply not been looked at or considered too hard to fix to (yet) be worthwhile.

Anyway, this isn't something a user can fix, so the OP has no options.

11. Francis Maheu

Francis Maheu Registered

Is it like that in other games? Didn't recall such thing in codemasters F1 games.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Reiza reduced this problem quite a lot, I mean they still hit the brakes but less frequent and with less strenght than what you see in rF2
    I could be mistaken tho, this was in an update very long ago if I remember right.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

CM games probably aren't the best reference; for a long time their AI wasn't really driving at all, you could follow a car around and its recorded time didn't match your own (and when out of sight, they weren't there at all). But there are other games that don't behave this way, and no one should think rF2 does it because it's necessary. However, the AI is quite good to race against, they just do this annoying thing (yes, there are many other things they do, generally rule related, too). Trying to 'only' change this behaviour would likely make them worse in other ways.

On the positive side, they are 'real' AI, driving on their physics in realtime. They aren't on rails.

14. larry24

larry24 Registered

Look The ai can be made better, Most tracks are built for online racing, So the ai suck. I have found if you make the aiw file right and train the ai,You can solve a lot of problems. There are 4 main things to get good ai,1 good aiw file for that track 2 good ai learning for that track, And 3 set all the driver ratings the same in the car mod, I set all mine at 100 on just about everything,4 The car mod you are using needs to have a setup for that track in the mod,and the setup needs to be named for that mod so the ai will use it.

scalino likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

Just a conservative estimate based on the fact that at any given hour there are at least 400 players on average playing rF2 (source: steamcharts), but when I check the server browser, it's just mostly AI filled servers with the occasional league event.

16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Maybe it's Ayrton Senna driving :p

Aceking, IgnacioK and stonec like this.
  17. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Disagree

Emery, Aceking, Ho3n3r and 7 others like this.
  18. Balazs Floszmann

Sorry mate can't feel Your pain! You have to fight with it alone :D
    Cheers

19. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

You are wrong, just like the developers. There is an army of offline racers. They pick Rfactor for the very good ai. So, no focus on the ai could be a mistake. The ai in ACC and Raceroom is getting better. I will choose the sim with the best ai to drive. For now it's still rfactor, but for how long i wonder.

Aceking, F1Aussie and Juergen-BY like this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah Senna was famous for pumping the throttle, the rumour is he adapted this style to the old turbo engines where the turbo was quite slow to spool up. Hakkinen also used this style many years later for certain corners and it obviously worked quite well for him. None of the 2019 F1 drivers do this though. Schumacher probably changed this trend with his very progressive throttle application.

But regarding the problem itself, I think it's frankly a rather minor one. It doesn't really affect racing the AI, it's only obvious from AI onboards. I can think of plenty of more critical AI issues than this one.

bhendrik and David Kolody like this.