billboard trees don't turn.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks for your reply

I may have solved. But I miss the confirmation of the game and the viewer:

While looking for some instructions for Blender I found an addon that shows the vertex nubers (thisif someone need). the Joesville tracks have vertices in this position:
    2 1
    3 0

blender instead put them:
    3 1
    2 0

modified the 3D model like that Joesville, remade all the trees, passed in 3ds and loaded into gJed now they turn and are all straight :D. But now another problem arises :(. When I export them from this last, in the viewer and ingame they are not there. The voice in the SCN is correct and in fact the track is loaded with no errors but where the trees are gone? I do not see even their shadow. :confused:

Suggestion?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

The vertex numbers being out of order like you mention is what I believe to be the cause of the sideways/upsidedown images, so yeah, that all makes sense. Have you tried exporting them straight from blender?

3. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Yes i try but Blender does not have the function to edit Vert Alpha therefore, do not work.

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

If they are not visible, but the tree instance is there. Maybe you look at the back side of the trees. Which is transparent. (Backface culling)
    Flip the faces might do the trick.

Regarding the vertex numbering. GJED treads the number order different then a 3ds max export.

Just select a tree BB and set it to NONE and back to BB on any ISI track. ==> View attachment 19824

Anyway it's best to experiment with 1 plane and try to make it work in GJED. If you have 1 working tree BB in GJED and in Dev mode. You can duplicate that plane and change textures/materials for different trees and crowd.

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

6. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks
    I had seen him, but it had not worked. I read the last comment on that page was not there. Surely to try.

7. SimoG

SimoG Registered

I found where I was wrong. Simply the problem was in the rest of the track where the trees material had a old setting (T1 No shadow) that override what I set in GMT of new trees. Now there are straight, turn, and are visible. :)
    Now I can proceed with the next step.
    Another question. Is it possible to prevent they casting shadow on other trees? Because it generates a sharp line:

http://s31.postimg.org/z4puqhcfu/image.jpg

Pay no attention that they fly :)

I tried to use it but also this latest version is faulty. When I try to export the FBX, Blender returns an error in the script, and does not save anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
  8. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

If the material uses the Bump Specular Map T1 Stamp Vertex shader (probably already the case), then those billboard quads technically shouldn't receive shadows.

9. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks to everyone.

Now they seem to work perfectly :D

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

well done mate ;)

11. fab06

fab06 Registered

hi all

after a long week with 3DSMax , i have do a rotating tree thats work (but texture is upside down) , thx to all for explanation in the forum ;)

but for a noob like me in 3DS max tool , i dont know how to upside down the texture before export in GMT , which tool or which menu to flip the texture in 3DS ??

[​IMG]

need help :confused:

12. fab06

fab06 Registered

finally , i found how to ..

;):D

13. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

anyone had a working billboard to use with 3dsmax. i try everything to make this work but with not luck.

14. toebee

toebee Registered

Try changing the vertex color to non white then back to white, and then setting the alpha back to 100 and then changing it back to 99. I have to do this every time I make a new billboard or it wont work.

Andrea1968, AlenC and Tuttle like this.
  15. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

16. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

@SimoG et al

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get the trees/billboards to turn when exporting from Blender? I've followed the instructions and guides as closely as I can - the correct vertex order, the correct UVs and the correct material. But, the Billboards will not rotate with the camera.

The only thing I can't influence is the Vertex Alpha colour, because Blender doesn't have this channel. So that could be the reason. But there is surely a way around it?

I'd really appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks,

Adam

17. Frankalexandre

Frankalexandre Registered

I have 1800 trees on max with everything already ok for billboard. If export they individuallly all is fine, i can see they rotating just fine with 3dsimed. But i think 1800 ojbects is not a good idea, so i attached the trees to 20 single objects. But when i do this the trees are messed up, some are upside down and some dont billboard at all anymore. Any idea?

If anyone have the same problem. @Bernd helped me. Its a bug with 64 bit Max version. All went fine with 32 bit.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  18. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

With new plugin and new 3ds max it's working?

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

With 3dsmax 2017 and 64 bit plugin (beta), version 2.52u it works, yes.
    At least for me. :)

20. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

Thanks!!!