Putting in sounds; few questions.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

For a private mod, I've been trying to put in some sounds, "real" sounds.
    It's about an Indycar and I have found some good, pure samples.
    I fiddled with sounds before, but that was altering the pitch a bit, nothing like this.

So I had the samples and a few things I was wondering about; there "must" be some rules of thumb for that.

1)
    The sound is pure engine, but when put in game; there is a "whooeeee" across all sounds. All other sounds are commented out.

2)
    When in game, the frequency seems very different; the sample sounds the same when I put it in the sound editor ("frequency at witch sample was recorded" set so that it sounds at 12.000rpm the same as the real sample) but in game, it just goes over the top, making it a "pfiieeee" sound.
    So, what does the game do with the sounds? Can I alter the samples (Audacity here) to let them play normal in the game?
    I mean; if it is something like the game doubles the frequency, I could chop the frequency in half of the sample, right?

3)
    "Sounds should properly overlap" but when I do that, most of the time you can hear there are two sounds playing together. Not power and coast, it is under full throttle, just when there is an overlap of 700 to 1000 rpm, you can hear they are double.

So if there's anybody with some proper knowledge that can help me out here; that would be great!
    The sounds are good, so it should be "perfect".........was hoping to get is so ;)

Edit;
    I did use a lot of samples (6 for power for instance) so I'm not stretching the sample out.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you set up the 'Natural RPM' correctly there shouldn't be any issue with the game playing the sounds at higher or lower frequencies than correct. But the blending isn't straightforward - first it's difficult to pick the correct RPM for your sample, and then depending on the power application different samples can have a different mix of frequencies that make the blends messy - your engine isn't producing a clean and pure sound wave, so there's a mix of frequencies that can mismatch.

Mainly though, it can be hard with different samples to actually know what RPM they're at. How confident are you that you know the correct RPM for your samples?

*Also, try starting with a single sample in the game. That way you can check the sample frequency without any blending or multiple samples obfuscating the results.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your post Lazza!

Well, how confident I am........ehh, the rev counter was there in the picture so it should be in the ballpark.
    I use "that old" sound editor and when I got the sound from -lets say- 8000 rpm, I try to fit it in that bit, from 7000 to 9000 rpm for instance.
    Then I let it run at 8000 rpm and play the sample itself next to it (just the .wav taken from the video with a player) and set it so that the engine sounds the same, altering it with the natural rpm parameter.
    So I thought I was doing the right thing, but still it is a completely different sounds with "whoeee" and "pfiiee". It also had more of an 1980's game sound to it.

That last part is also very interesting; I will go and do that, see what it brings. Sounds like a proper thing to sort out the frequency!

Thanks mate, I will get back on this and let you know.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

So I tried. When I put in a sound of 8500 rpm for instance, it does sound "okay" in the game. Natural rpm and rpm of the car in game have to be both 8500 and any more or less revs of the car, makes it already sound weird.

I took some samples; 6300, 8500 for instance and set them up a few different ways, but mainly something like this:
    5000, 7600, 6300
    7200, 9800, 8500

I tried some variations in overlap, length and such.
    Now the first sample only sounds proper when around 6300 and above gets weird. When the 8500 sound kicks in, there is a very noticeable transition/change of sound.
    I can't seem to get it out, not even with 1500 rpm overlap, not with making the last value a bit different or anything......

5. Rastas

Rastas Registered

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Rastas!
    It IS a very useful program, but that was the one I was already using ;)
    I tried "mending" the sounds together and fit them in with that.
    Works very well, but at the end; you do have to hear it in the game and do a lot of changing again as the game seems to mess it all up.

Stopped with this for today; lots and lots of hours in and its only getting worse; got to protect my monitor from my fist ;)