Goodwood Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mantasisg, Nov 19, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Alex72 it is a dark car. Looks good in mt screen. It is not easy to get something ambitious get to look good in all lighting conditions. You can see how a GranTurispo Sports achieved incredible looks by using scripted lighting. Also tweaking is not easy, it is one story in the gJed (which is not even supported at the moment), then it looks a bit different in DevMode, and then again different in main game.

Aaaaaaaand in response to post #37

Here is a bit better version.

Also if you want to have good AI race, don't use maximum of 32 cars, use less than 20, perhaps even less than 10. I had very good time testing the track with Caterham 7, also looked good in the night when I raced in 10 cars grid, and race was good.

Waiting to upload now, damn it is so nice outside.... I need faster upload speeds :D

Here we go, uploaded. https://www.mediafire.com/file/pesspevrhqq1q25/Goodwood_015.rfcmp/file

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Churrinche, Legend, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl today and provide feedback.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

AI
    They're moving too far to the right when attempting to protect the inside line, particularly on the front straight and end of the long back straight, thus it's very easy to take the outside line around them because that's the fastest line. The AI on the inside has to brake too hard to make the turn, so the outside line just goes sailing on around.

I don't think you can do anything about the spinouts. They seem to be due to the AI checking up too much mid-corner and that's a car-specific adjustment. Nothing looked too dramatic, just annoying that the frequency is a little higher than desired.

I haven't checked their pace because I've just been watching behavior so far.

Textures
    Turn down the saturation on the green & yellow & maybe even the whites. Even overcast skies are showing the intense bright green grass & bright yellow flowers at what I'd consider to be a maximum for full sun. If you really want to get those highlights, maybe try using that additional luminosity texture (proper name escapes me this morning) so they saturate only in the sunlight?

Since the paddock is a more prominent location in rF2 than it was in AC, more detailed textures back there would be a nice touch.

I haven't looked at night scenes because getting the daytime colors right has to come first and Goodwood isn't known as a night track (even if we're looking forward to that). Haven't looked at rain, either.

Overall
    Highly useable. Framerate is very good, even at the start with official GT3.

mantasisg likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you :)

Yes colors are very hard subject. I'll try to desaturate the colors slightly. I really wish to get a great look at overcast and bright sunshine weather too. I will not be satisfied in compromise in between. Hard task.

I do have a ton more of modeling to do, especially as you mentioned for the paddock, buildings and much more...

I don't think there will ever be night races in Goodwood, as they have some noise issues with people that lives in near towns, but I think it is awesome to have in a sim.

Rain has some reflection issues, mostly due to problems with mesh UV maps regarding blender. Anyway without Travelers scripts this couldn't be done at all. So it is a major fortune to have Traveler making these Blender scripts.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Emery Did you download the one I post today or yesterday ? I am asking because my midiafire downloads counter shows 0, but thats slightly weird considering that today was friday, and many hours has gone by. Certainly somebody had to download, it can't be that much irrelevant :D

I also know that Bernd downloaded too, so at least two people :D

By the way, I forgot to thank Bernd also for placing marshals into a track, not only doing AIW. Thank you :)

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You are welcome. :)
    It's good when people work together, to get the best possible result, in my opinion.

I have downloaded the track today, but i do never leftclick the download button.
    I rightclick on it and choose 'save target as' then.
    So maybe mediafire can not count it.

Emery and mantasisg like this.
  7. Mauro

Mauro Registered

nice project, some shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Emery

Emery Registered

It was today's post. My visual experience is similar to Mauro's screenshots.

9. oldman

oldman Registered

Thank you for this great track.
    Yes, the green does look a little too green, but, after the drought we're having in Oz this year, it is better than the burnt brown colours we are experiencing. :D
    I am excited about Goodwood at last becoming a reality for rF2. Thanks again and please keep up the good work.

makan, Levelup1, mantasisg and 3 others like this.
  10. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

I took three historic cars for a hotlap around the track

As the argument has come up here, my opinion about the textures: The gras looks very much fine from the cockpit perspective. It is very green, do not get me wrong, but it looks like a very fine piece of British green. However from the TV cameras, it looks a bit too green. But this is a nitpick on a otherwise spotless mod.
    For reference, all drivers were made at full sunshine at 3:00 pm ingame.

Legend, pascom, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Could I possibly have lighting issues if I have model exported with -X forward ?

I do have some issues with shadows, and plenty of issues with objects that have vertical surfaces having shadowed and lit sides being reversed - sometimes whole object, and sometimes just some polygones.

I don't know the roots of the issue.

I tried exporting with Y forward, it does look better I'd say, but it doesn't seem to be fixing a lot. Certainly not as much that it would be worth to sacrifice AI for it, especially with how much it takes from me and how much work there was for Bernd.

I tried also exporting in GMT instead of FBX with Travelers scripts, it does look better, but kinda same way as if in switchign from -X to Y. And Travelers scripts are exporting in Y forward by default, and I couldn't find way to get it to be in -X.

Could I maintain everything in original position if I would turn the whole scene 90degs counter clockwise and then export it in Y forward instead of -X forward ? Could I keep the AIW this way ? I think I should be able, but not sure.

I can counfirm that in Y forward lighting looks better, but in some cases there are little difference, like here.
    Here is screenshot with -X:
    [​IMG]

Here is screenshot with Y:
    [​IMG]

As you can see gate on the left side has same issues. Chicane wall shadow is detached in both cases. Fence on the right is lit from wrong side in both cases. Actually this screenshow doesn't show much advantages of Y forward axis orientation, but it is definitelly better, even though sadly still doesn't solve a lot of issues.

GeraArg likes this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you for the material :) I am thinking about making some preview videos too.

I thought you'll roll Torana. Insane laptime. I thought it wouldn't go that quick there. My PB is much slower with it yet. Ferrari time is insane too, afaik it has absolutely zero grip, that mod is weird for that.

I have made plenty of tweaks since. I am never completely happy, as for how it is currently I wish the track was a bit brighter in pure sunshine, and darker in overcast. I think it also has to something with how rF2 lighting works. To get truly dark very overcast look I need to choose the worst possible rain weather. If I choose the complete overcast weather, but without stromy rain, then it is not that much darker than in sunshine (darker, but little). There seems to be lack in between for worst possible daytime luminance and strongest. I tried to make textures darker and make sun effects stronger, while maintaining proper look, but it still seems to to have agreat lack in between of Maximum overcast and Totally clear sky. I think it is rF thing how luminance works. Track surely looks "properly dark" early in the morning, late at the evening and with full storm weather. But there seems to be lack in between for different weathers.

@Corti Also very fun with Spark or Eve F3, Caterham, BMW 2002, Dissender... just to name a few.... Also will be great with Woochoos 1954 cars, Jaguar XJ13...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Corti, pascom, Emery and 1 other person like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Good stuff...

After nearly going insane, I have got some good results and I am happy.

I have solved a lot of problems by normalizing rotation back to 0 for all objects in the scene, even though objects appeared normal, but for light calculations object rotation data was likely used. It is quite an improvement.

Also found that I had edge split modifiers on some objects, and that caused some lighting errors. I have removed modifiers, and set meshes to have flat faces shading, but in rF they appears smooth anyway, mostly. But it somehow doesn't bug me, almost.

Still have a couple objects that are lit badly, so there is still something. Hopefully solvable soon.

That leaves me with few issues which are not critical, but would be good improvements. 1st is UV channels problems for sand traps, terrain, tarmac. Sand traps really looks bad now. Terrain only looks bad slightly where tiling appears. And as for tarmac, I actually find it good looking only with diffuse texture, without detail texture, the texture I use now is from Kunos, and it is very good texture, but I should make my own, will be a challenge to get good seamless tilling. There are also some other textures which should be replaced. One more thing which I wish I could have worked out would be billboarding. I think some billboarding foliage would fit nicely, billboarding cardboard people, hortensia leaves... Also flags, helicapters, planes, tractors driving around, detailed paddock, remodeled/improved buildings..... oh well ok nevermind... :D

Should I post one more test version for your judgement ? Or should aim for workshop, because YOLO ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  14. Mikk Quickmikk

Mikk Quickmikk Guest

Post for sure, falling in love already, if you need help i could ask DaDigga for help, maybe he has the answers for those probs.
    Greetings Mikk

bravotangosix, mantasisg and Mauro like this.
  15. Emery

Emery Registered

Workshop. Makes it easier for us to get any updates. Unless, of course, you're updating more often than every three weeks.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Ok, I guess there is no need to be very touchy with it, and I will probably push it up to workshop, but before will have to redo few textures, not very nice to use Kunos textures without permision.

One last test version here.

Good way for testing. Pick a car that has good headlights, such as Caterham 7 mod. Choose sunny weather. Choose 6 or 7 AM, Choose 15-20x time acceleration. Drive for 20-30 minutes. You'll experience track in wide variety of sun angles. Tell me what you like, what you don't. What would like to have improved in the first place ?

I just did that now, and IMO it is good, also I think no otther computer game does dawn, dusk or sunshine to full overcast so well as rF2 does.

Delete previous instalation and package file, because I have not renamed version number, as I find it uncomfortable to do when I do 5-6 new packages per day.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/4oixyv7pg9v97sz/Goodwood_015.rfcmp/file

Churrinche, Legend, lbird and 3 others like this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't really like workshops honestly. Two main reasons. I often don't even notice that something got updated. Also it workshops synchronisation is too long. So essentially I dislike automatic updating. I wish I would only get notification, and have to counfirm the update, also acknowledging it by doing that.

But it is main place.

DavidG, Emery, David Kolody and 2 others like this.
  18. vitto

vitto Registered

Hi Mantasisg
    thanks for this track, I tried it and it's already very good, it's a pleasure to have it on rf2! :)
    I confess that initially I was rather skeptical about steam and the workshop, but lately I think it's not so bad.:rolleyes:

English is not my mother tongue

mantasisg likes this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Bad timing with Reiza pack - I have no feedback on latest build.

Or perhaps everythign is good :D

I am very lazy to make a preview video of how it looks in my screen, and even more lazy to upload which will probably take few hours for good quality video.

Good way for testing. Pick a car that has good headlights, such as Caterham 7 mod. Choose sunny weather. Choose 6 or 7 AM, Choose 15-20x time acceleration. Drive for 20-30 minutes. You'll experience track in wide variety of sun angles.

pkelly, Mauro and Corti like this.
  20. Emery

Emery Registered

Reiza pack got priority late on Thurs and then I went out of town for the weekend(*) and got back late yesterday, so maybe tomorrow I can test it.

(*) Weekend autocross, slightly different than the usual big parking lot affair. This is an annual affair, one shot to complete 5 laps around a kart track as fast as possible. Records are kept for each of the classes. For my class, the record is just under 4 minutes 52 seconds and I missed breaking the record by 0.39 seconds, mostly due to brake fade on the last lap. When I pulled into the paddock, smoke was pouring out of the front fenders... wish we had that effect in rF2 (or any sim, for that matter).