Avast and RF2's crashes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Damian Baldi, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I been using AVG antivirus for years, but I started to feel bored of the pop ups, so I decided to remove AVG and install Avast Antivirus.

Since Avast installation I started to suffer rf2 crashes. First I thought it could be a problem with the last rf2 update, then I thought that it was the circuit I was training that week, later that the problem was the car I was developing in devmod.

So, I uninstalled Avast and went back to AVG, and all the problems dissapeared.

JimmyT likes this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

AVG is horrible. Absolutely horrible. It was OK back in the day but today it lets through tons of viruses and malware. Are you on Windows? Just use Defender that is built in mate. These free ones today are not what they used to be. After i told a friend about AVG about a year ago he did many scans with decent virus scanners online and they found tons and tons of malware and viruses. I did the same and nothing. Not a single issue. I would think about ditching AVG and just use Defender.

JimmyT and Damian Baldi like this.
  3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

@Alex72 I followed your advice

Alex72 likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Alex72 Anecdotes don't count. AVG hasn't rated top lately but it's not useless.

Nothing is 100% effective, and at various times most will have some unintended effect on legitimate software. Ultimately most instances of infection are due to the user.

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

True but my anecdotes was experienced by me several times and by my friends who insisted on it and eventually saw what i saw. Defender for years now and nothing has shown up in all that time for me or my friends.

All i can do is share my experiences and after that its up to others to test it or not.

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Well, I can't thank you enough. I have been using Avast for years and haven't had any huge issues, I have become jaded by it lately with all the pop up messages though. After reading your OP I tested my rF2 without Avast running and found that most of the screen freezes and hangs seem to have gone. I still get the occasional stutter but I can live with that if it doesn't CTD while I'm playing.
    Thanks for posting the thread, I hope it will help others as well.

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I'm using Avast free for years and no issues, sometimes i have some little freeze but only in rF2 so i guess it's software related and not the AV... all other racing games run fine!

Daytona 675 likes this.