Unofficial NEWS Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnsclander, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I think you are asking the impossible, the game does not support animated pit crew (at least the support is not visible) afaik. so S397 need to make that first.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

You did that? Holy f-ing jumping jezuz on a stick, dude!

@S397 Go on guys, you have my blessing to add animated pit crew. Dont worry - you only need to add the function because my main man @mschreiner already have the goods!

:D

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

has he got one for 25 guys mobbing F1 cars? Two people only to change tires for WEC style cars? One for older Protos that didn't allow tire changing while re-fueling? Indy/Champ car? :) He has a-lot of work to do!!!!

4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

We also need them to be able to be run over GTA-style. Realism and immersion purposes... Obviously...

5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

https://racer.com/2019/03/07/pruett-2019-indycar-talking-points/3/

Excerpt:
    eSports
    One of the more interesting press releases to appear last week came with the SCCA announcing it has partnered with iRacing to create an eSports solution for its passionate club. The American amateur racing organization, which boasts more than 50,000 members, has created a 12-race virtual championship in affiliation with the Skip Barber Racing School. I mention this to illustrate how far the links between racing organizations and the eSports world extend — even the SCCA has a solution in place. After years of taking meetings and exploring ideas, IndyCar now lags behind a domestic club racing organization in the eSports space. It isn’t a good look.

I still have a hope that with the Tatuus USF-17 (USF2000) and Tatuus PM-18 (Indy Pro 2000), that this will spring board a full IndyCar deal. I have my hopes, but I think it would release when the competition system gets its full release. Fingers Crossed.

pkelly and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

NO MORE INDY CARS UNTIL SOMEBODY BUILDS THE VELS PARNELLI XWING!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    ;>

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

That is one ugly car!!

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

in 1972? It was an amazingly forward looking attempt. Most indycars back then were very rectangular and those curved sidepods, dihydral wings, and the extra winglets over the suspension really had no comparison. [​IMG]
    It was a failure though. After the first few days at Indy,(which back then consumed the entire month of May) the driver's (Andretti, Unser, Leonard...a USAC SUPER team.) didn't have any faith in the wings. So they ended up first mounting a large rear wing before eventually cutting them off all together.
    [​IMG]
    The added drag of that wing killed the car's biggest advantage, which was low drag. I suspect the wings were too far forward and the team hadn't found the center of pressure to match what the three drivers were expecting from a normally designed car. 1972 would have put me about 14 or 15 years old. I read about the car in one of the car mags. Their Indy 500 special Preview issue that probably reached my small town library a month or two AFTER the race. Between this and the Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Superbirds in Nascar were the most exotic things around.
    [​IMG]
    (F1 never reached us back then, and Le Mans only after the Movie.)

Alex72, Louis and MarcG like this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You get to the podium in F1, come back home and what do you do ?

Of course, you launch rF2.

[​IMG]

So thats the news.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

This reads as if the UI is pretty close. Then we can finaly move on to new challenges :D

F1Aussie, Alex72 and mantasisg like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

And PBR, competition system, ranks. Sounds like it is the right orbit now.

Sebastien Sestacq and Alex72 like this.
  14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That's what I thought.
    He wrote "Fast forward to today and we have a brand new DirectX 11 “physically based rendering” graphics engine that is optimized for racing simulations, a new user interface that is based on modern web technologies....." .
    Not, "work carries on" or "the UI development is progressing well" or "a few more hurdles to overcome" etc etc...

Glass half full! :D

mister dog likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Well, i hope you guys are right. The world of gaming has left me jaded. Hype and delivered nothing, people paying developers that let them down, injecting garbage identity politics into friggin entertainment, Epic Games taking over - not because of great work but because they pay everyone off... The list is long.

The trust in S397 remains strong though. Im sure we'll see the new stuff soon. :)

Louis likes this.
  16. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

For a while I thought: should I even post in an unofficial new thread, since I pretty much can't give you unofficial news now, can I? :)

That said, this soundbyte is not meant to be an exact, in depth roadmap or status update, but merely a weekly blog that different people in Luminis take turns at writing. As such I am updating everybody roughly on where we stand right now. And yes it is true that large parts of the things I mentioned are done. That said we are still finalizing them and have obviously not released for example the new UI. We're currently integrating that with the competition system. Technically we have PBR implemented now, but we are looking at creating a few more specific shaders to further improve the overall look (but this can be seen as an ongoing process as new techniques become available and computers become faster).

Back to the unofficial news again!

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thank you Marcel. We know you are surely swamped with work but this makes us happy. Well, it makes me happy anyway. :)

vegaguy5555 and Marcel Offermans like this.
  18. philman

philman Registered

I suspect you must be very busy, but interventions like this one have the merit of clarifying things and making it easier for rfactor2 enthusiasts to wait.

19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I really want to complain about the older looking graphics but I'm just too busy driving these DLC's and now this new FXXK. I just feel so one with cars. I even noticed weight in the caster braking into the corners. At first I didn't think it was in the GT3's but when I checked....... what was I going to complain about?

Alex72 likes this.
  20. Louis

Louis Registered

animated pit crew has the problem that no one would like to make pit mechanics collidable. Static or animated "ghosts" in the pit crew is also strange. The red square solve the problem