Skins not working?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by lukadeu, Mar 18, 2019.

1. lukadeu

lukadeu Registered

2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Add on skins are still broken from the new material updates. Stealing this from a @Frank Murphy post (which I can't find at the moment). "Add AI" from the on track menu, will load the skin. At the moment, that is the only real work around.

Frank Murphy likes this.
  3. AustinIsCoolBeans

AustinIsCoolBeans Registered

Hey, not sure if I've found the root of the problem, or if this only works for me, but changing the name of the .DDS file (along with the corresponding line in the .RCD) to anything but "alt.dds" seems to make the skin work again. Just to be safe, I made sure to give each one a unique name (In your case, I would use something like 19D24991alt.dds, or something similar) Please let me know if this works for anyone but me

4. Chris Lesperance

I may have to try that. I think I did that in the past, but my name might have been past the 12 (or 14) character max. Once that was situated and people were going with just alt.dds, as that was proved to work for a little bit. I may have to try "alt.mas" as well, now that I am thinking about it.

5. Wee_Eck

Wee_Eck Registered

6. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

I've posted about this before (honestly don't remember if was here, at RD, or both), and found a "fix" posted by someone, but unfortunately it doesn't work for every car/skin. I'm not a modder, I'm trying to learn how RF2 works, but I'm not really fluent in it yet. Like a lot of people, the problem I have is most of my 3rd party skins don't show up in the car selection menu. One method to correct it was to select a car of the type you have a skin for, go to the tuning menu and click the "create dir" button to make a folder in the userdata/player/settings folder the car you have your skin installed to. Then go to the RCD file for the skin you're trying to see, and change the "VEH file" name to the name of the folder you created from the tuning menu. This worked on my addon skins for the Callaway GT3 and Bentley GT3, but not for any of the Mercedes or McLarens. It worked for a few of the Oreca 07 skins, but not all of them. I still have to try it on the other GTEs I have skins for (which, untouched, are all missing).

I don't know why it's hit-or-miss with this approach, someone with more knowledge and experience with this might. Some of the skin folders have .mas files in them, others have loose .dds files, but there doesn't seem to be consistency between which ones work and which ones don't. I've tried changing the .dds file names to alt and non-alt, but it hasn't fixed any of the ones that still don't show up. Maybe next I'll try the "create new driver and team from this car" procedure, or whatever it's actually called in the game, for the ones that have loose .dds files. I don't know what to do with the .mas files, haven't really learned that yet.

I'm sure it will get sorted out, but it's a bummer in the meantime. I'm considering ripping out all the skins that don't work and just replacing them later when it's all fixed.

7. Chris Lesperance

Depending on your .rcd naming convention, you may have a duplicate name. I guess I should say it is that second line in the .rcd. That unique identifier. That is very common for people who are using driver names as the .rcd names. If there is a duplicate, the car will not show up.