Triple screen line up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex72, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yep, mine looks like the 3d from bottom. Bending down on the sides. Seems i need to sit lower OR raise the monitors. Thats all it is.

2. Jonas Hammar

Jonas Hammar Registered

yeah sounds like it, maybe tilting it could be an option if you have the hardware solution to support it! let me know how it works out

3. Supa

Supa Registered

Has any thought gone into your monitor angles?? The closer you are to your montor ...mines 22in from my eyes with my wheel rim no more than about 4in away so very close.....the more angle you need on side monitors. I have them at 50 deg and they seem fine! And my eyes are around %60 up the monitor...not quite centred but within the suggested limits!

4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I always took it as putting as much angle you can until the side monitors face you dead on. So when i turn my head the monitor looks at me 100% straight. So if i sit closer i make more angle.

5. Supa

Supa Registered

Hmmm ok sounds like your monitor angles aint right. There's also a formula that gives your monitor angles. Like I said mines 50 Deg and even on up to 57 deg. You need to suss that out and input that into your Monitor Gui cntrl = .

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

50 degrees wow. I tested changing the angle but the bend is the same. It is corrected when i change height as i mentioned.

7. Jonas Hammar

Jonas Hammar Registered

Dead on or not, regardless of screen side monitor angle, the view from ONE point should still be correct if you put in all the correct data in the calculator and you STILL have a straight line between the 3 monitors, however once you start moving your head around, having extreme angles on your side monitors will feel odd.

what feels best is a personal preference but aiming for having all monitors facing your head on when looking at them is probably the best way to go, and this varies depending on how big your monitors are and how far you are away from them =)

Alex72 likes this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

This is what i do. Letting the monitors face me. Its just the level i sit at that is slightly too high and causing this drop on the sides.

9. zaphman

zaphman Registered

For people not having these physical adjustment possibilities, like tilting, moving the monitor stand up and down, the simulator should include a setting where you can enter an "offset" of your normal eye position, relative the center (y) of the monitor.

I know iRacing have something they call vanish-y (or something)

Maybe one day :)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@zaphman Unfortunately many games never got proper triple support at all, let alone really flexible configuration (that rF2's support is above average is an indicator of the poor standards), and now with VR it probably won't get much better for us. VR seems to have its own issues though, so hopefully this is yet another area we'll see improve in rF2 once the graphics tech is 'good enough'.

Alex72 and zaphman like this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yep i was looking for things like that at start. Even a tilter/rotation left right. That could also fix the bending up/down effect.

@Marcel Offermans Any chance at some point you guys could implement or test a triple screen side screen rotating value to see if it fixes the issue of bending? Im thinking if people who cant easily change height as they sit or move the whole monitor package up/down and still be able to correct the side monitor bending of the sim world. I ask because in my head im thinking you guys could perhaps test it easily. Implementing it into the triple screen app probably takes more time. Maybe you cant even rotate the side monitors in multiview. Just an idea.

The idea is to look at rF2 from a higher or lower angle and then see if rotating left and right monitors slightly to correct the "bending" effect that happens. I cant get my chair lower and raising all monitors will put them so high up that its hard to work on them. I dont have a dedicated pit - yet.

zaphman likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to update, I've realigned my screens (custom setup using timber is relatively easy to do, but prone to needing adjustment later :D) and I've got things close enough to lined up correctly to confirm the issue is/was with my setup, nothing inherent with the game or how triple screens worked. Which makes sense, so that's a relief.

In hindsight I think I didn't do my 'reflected light' test properly, my screen setup needed to be tilted downwards more for my eyes to reflect in the middle of the screen. Now any issues with things not lining up are due to slight discrepancies with my physical screens, and the unavoidable distortion from head movements as I look around at the screens. From that point of view bigger (screens) is definitely better, and it's easy to see the attraction of large projected images rather than screens within arm's reach.

More flexibility with all 3 views would be welcome, and presumably wouldn't add much to the existing multiview load, so I hope at some point we do see that.

Alex72 likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thats great! :) The better (more expensive) triple screen rack where each monitor can be moved in all angles makes thing better. I bought one where each monitor can be tilted forward/backwards, sideways (into portrait mode for all 3 monitors) and the side arms are moveable to create a flat 3 screen setup and Everything in between up to 45 degrees for the side monitors. I hope S397 can knock out a rotation function. Rotation for the side monitors would have to be a rotation of the "camera" (viewport) and not the image itself as that would render black(?) nothingness in each corner, i think.

14. Ronny Naumann

Ronny Naumann Registered

Hello. I know this Topic is already a while online but i have an issue with the ingame FOV Calculator for triple screens. Is et everything right i think and tried the key combination strg/alt and = but all i see on my screens is that the tire display changes or closes. Also if i change the key combination to another one with strg and alt. The menu wont pop up. Do i something wrong?? do i need something??

My settings are surround in the nvidia settings, 5760 x 1080 in game, multi monitor switched on. I think everything should be fine but i dont works.
    I hope someone can help me.

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

strg and = is the triple screen setup
    alt and = is the tyre widget up the top left(?) of the screen
    You must be in the car for them to work.

You can change = to another key if you want.
    Also, if you use the strg or alt on the right side of the keyboard and it doesn't work, try the keys on the left side.
    Obviously Caps Lock should be off.
    If your game is running properly with triple monitors they should work.

Here is my rF2 Video Setup. the highlighted options are the important ones.
    Capture1.JPG

16. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

thanks all, now I understand all....I have put my monitors at my eyeline, but I feel them a little bit high, but it's like that....