F1 Fast lap point

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davehenrie, Mar 14, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Stat guys are already going back and looking at close championships to see if this 1 point for the fastest lap would have altered any F1 Driver's Championship. They point to the Lewis/Massa scoring. Massa had 3 Fast laps to 1 for Lewis. So they 'say', Massa would have won. I was a big fan of Massa so I'm not fan-boy-ing Lewis here, but if there were points available back then, then there would have been some effort to collect more of those, so I don't know if Massa's 3-1 margin would have stood.
    But also think about the back markers. I suspect 'most' of the fast laps this year will be set by cars in the back. With no hope of scoring in the top 10, they will pit near the end of the race for fresh, very soft tires, and with a light fuel load attempt the fast lap. It could almost mimic qualifying in reverse with the last 4 or 5 cars across the line topping each other for the fast lap point.
    Or someone like Vettel or 'shoe-drinking' Ricardo who punted themselves early in the race can do the same procedure to rescue even just one point.

2. Filip

Filip Registered

I believe point is awarded only if driver finishes in top 10.

Louis likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks for the info!

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't apply all rules retrospectively. People did the same thing when they started awarding points to more than 6 cars, but in the old days drivers in 11th had no big incentive to push for 10th position because no points were awarded. The new rules in place affect behaviour, and you can't make that happen historically.

'Stat guys', like anyone else, can get so caught up in the details they lose sight of the big picture.

Filip likes this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

Yes I am surprised this is even discussed. I guess just for entertainment purpose and for journalists to write about something.