3ds Max 2017 Plugin

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaREALMastaD, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

I'm gonna try it here first. Not sure but for me the plugins are bugging.....

I've tried everything i could think of so far. Scenefile, do mesh, any combination i can make in the gmt converter.. also tried the example max scene files but i keep getting strange meshes when i export any 3ds object to gmt. For example in Max i have 8 face, 16 verts.. Nothing is opened in the viewer, in 3dsimed i only can see the model info which says something like 7654 face.With the example scene i get some wierd messed up mesh in 3dsimed, but again its not usable for anything as can be seen below.. The mesh is completely collapsed in itself with no world position info in it anymore.

I really really hope i'm doing something wrong here cause i was so glad to finally be able to really get into track modding, but so far i cant get anything in game cause of this....

export.jpg setting.jpg

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If I'm looking at that second image correctly, your object has no name, so that could be a problem.

3. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

3dsimedgeo.jpg
    It doesn't matter what the name is for me... Or if i use different folders, either on my desktop or snuggled away deep inside my steam dev mode folder.. If I name it racingsurface or testexport, it keeps giving me mesh errors on export.. Fbx exports nicely, but the gmt converter isn't.

I just tried it with a different name but no succes..

3dsimed report window:
    Object racesurface_asphalt
    Points = 1000
    Faces = 69225
    Deleted Faces = 0

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Actually, an object without name can still be opened in 3DSimEd.

5. AlenC

AlenC Registered

Is .gmt exported to the correct folder? I see the path starts with user and I export my meshes to dev mod folder in rF2 installation. Not sure if it matters...
    Also can you see the model if you open the scene in viewer?

6. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

the viewer did read the geometry, before that i started with my own error in the scene file..
    But when corrected i get the same geometry in the viewer as i have in 3dsimed..

I use 3dsimed to quickly check the exported model instead using the viewer which needs to have all the files and folders in place

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Would you upload your max scene?
    I could try it out here and see if it works for me, then.

Mindraiderz likes this.
  8. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

sure no problem.. I think i've included the relative filepaths and maps.. I mostly use maya so somewhat unfamiliar how 3ds archives a scene.. But the maps used are from the joeyville moddev folder, cant be much wrong there.

https://mindraider.stackstorage.com/s/8stJHsYajan1uku

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I have used your max scene and it works without any problem here.
    Exported meshes, no matter if with or without a name, can be loaded into 3dsimed and have the correct polycount and shape.
    Now the question is, what goes wrong on your site.
    That is hard to find out without to sit at your computer.
    The first thing in such cases, that always comes in my mind, is that it might be a windows user rights problem.
    Did you try it with running 3dsmax as administrator (rightclick on the 3dsmax shortcut and select 'run as administrator')?

Mindraiderz likes this.
  10. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

Just tried running as administrator, didn't help.. I also just did a system scan and that repaired some errors, but not this one.

I guess I'll try to do a new install of 3ds max next.. I'll be back if that doesn't work either

11. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

Here's a VERY nice tutorial on how to make things work done by JKA and using 3ds max and also using the 3ds plugins:

12. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

...duhh sorry didn't see the post on Page 1.. keeping it here just in case nobody reads page 1 :rolleyes:

Lazza and AlenC like this.
  13. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

well, i did an full clean reinstall of 3ds today... made sure there were no files left on my hdd, restarted before installing and run everything in administrator.. Finally i got some working geometry in the viewer :D

3dsimed though keeps giving me errors, but i dont need that since the viewer is working :D

Thanks everyone for the quick reactions on the problem!

Bernd and Mauro like this.
  14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Good to hear that the problem is solved. :)

Mindraiderz likes this.
  15. AlenC

AlenC Registered

Can someone else confirm if this is a bug? I believe it's not working for me as well, but as I don't have 2012 version or 3dsimed I'm not sure if it's a bug or a mistake on my part.

16. Goibaka

Goibaka Registered

Today S397 launched a new 3ds max 2017 plugin update. It doesn't work so you shouldn't replace old plugin because the new plugin exports all the mesh wrong way. Objects with various materials are exported with a single material assigned to the faces that makes the plugin a useless tool.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  17. roberteker

roberteker Registered

Using Steam, this seems a bit difficult to avoid. Has there been a hotfix issued?

Is there an alternative location to download the 2017 plugin files?

Are the developers active in this forum, and if so, can someone ping them?

EDIT: Just tried to install it and I got the following on Max 2019 update 3...

Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG

I copied the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Support\Tools\Plugins\Max 2017\x64_beta

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  18. Goanna

Goanna Registered

plugins in those folders are for that particular version on 3ds Max ie the plugins in the 2017 folder are for the 2017 version of 3ds Max, 2012 for Max 2012 etc...so there are none for 3ds Max 2019.

19. roberteker

roberteker Registered

That is too bad. I don't think Autodesk sells non-subscription based licenses for 3D Studio Max anymore, so it is strange that the latest version isn't supported.

I guess I could login and download an older version, but I'm going to see if I can get by without the plugin first.

EDIT: Reading other threads, it seems its not advised to run without the plugin due to the scn file complexity, and I actually found 2017 already installed on a few old render node machines we had here that I could work remotely on!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  20. McNolo

McNolo Registered

@Coutie The new plugin version has solved the known problems, but now, when I export objects, some materials are mixed without sense. This did not happen with the previous version, I checked it