Goodwood Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mantasisg, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Just want to say, thanks for bringing this to rf2. Really like this track in AC, so i'm looking forward to this.

lbird and mantasisg like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So.. I have decided to do second try for AIW.

I have recorded a path and assigned it as pit 1st (I don't understand what are differences of 1st and second, and extended), app asked me to save yes/no, I did not, then I assigned one pit location, then it again asked to save AIW. I though "alright, gonna save it", and it froze on me. I remember same thing happened to me in december when I dabbled with the AIW for the first time.

Is it normal that devmode freezes while saving AIW ? I guess there should be a cause.

Just froze again, This time didn't ask to save AIW after I recorded main and 1st pit paths. I clicked on save waypoints and it froze.. I don't like restarting my computer.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

There is somewhere in this forum an AI guide link - I think there was step by step and also something mentioned about saving very often or a problem and fix for AIW mode....

mantasisg likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Problem has to be related with pits path, main path saved nicely. I have to look up for guides.

I missed this docummentation before... I suppose it will help me a lot.
    https://www.studio-397.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

Edit:

The guide helped me a ton, everythign was fluent, I enjoyed that, and now I finally got a track running in the main game !!!

Expect a test version in a few hours.

One interesting thing is that in Devmode track runs smooth like a butter, but in game it has some sort of constant microstuttering, even though fps are not going bellow my capped 80.

Another interesting thing is that main game is indeed slightly different, not to mention graphics, but physics feels a bit different too, FFB feels lighter, car seems slightly easier to drive, and despite microstutters I do a couple of tenths faster laptimes with my lovely XJ13. Can't wait to try more cars in Goodwood in rF2. It is epic.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Churrinche, jimagn and lbird like this.
  5. mark7

mark7 Registered

Hey Mantasisg, thanks for bringing this to RF2 .
    Local circuit to me and a regular visitor plus only a few weeks to the Goodwood Members Meeting!
    Thanks again, Mark.

mantasisg likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Your welcome, I hope I could bring up something decent up for MM, but looks like I will have to wait till I'll be able to polish out this creation in a level that it deserves. But it will still be fun to do some hotlaps around it for a while, I think. I am uploading test version right now.

Crtitical notes:

1. Only works without any AI.
    2. Only practice mode.
    3. I made pit path too long, avoid inside till the start of T1 otherwise you'll be charged for speeding in the pits lol
    4. I recommend exiting the pits without going through actual pits.
    5. Due to the fact that I work with blender and it does not have full support for rF2, track has some severe visual shortcommings such as problems with UV channels and normals and billboarding, also I'm still learning and a bit uncomfortable with gJed already had to restart almost everything once... Some of those issues are: borderline nuclear green grass in the sunshine specular zone, tarmac changing its tone color when wet because of reflections working on wrong UV map. Tarmac goes bright within first 10 percent of drying then slowly getting darker, as a result ending up to look as dry track with rubbered line, but it is still wet. Verges looks bad. Some objects with alpha test transparency does not look good. Trees are wrong. And more....
    6. Track uses some legacy textures from Kunos, will be replaced eventualy.
    Don't repost the link anywhere, this is just test version.

I hope you'll have fun, if you'll feel like having good feedback, you are welcome.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/w9hvuu603eg5icw/Goodwood_01.rfcmp/file

Alex72, mister dog, woochoo and 10 others like this.
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the link I'll check it out some time this week :)

Local circuit to me too :D

mantasisg likes this.
  8. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Thanks for sharing your work so far.

mantasisg likes this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

10. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Found ya! Thanks for converting this little jewel to Rf2.

VelvetTorpedo and mantasisg like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just planning what to do about the circuit, wondering what i could improve, and if I should start looking at 3Ds max world and leaving Blender (the idea is so unpleasant to me, and the main reason why I choose other aspect of modding right now.

I have got a suggestion to help on AIW, I think I am going to use it, just driving around alone is not enough. rF2 is so great even at practice mode when you can practice with AI all around the track.

I have just learned one very interesting thing about Goodwood - first post war race in GB was held there. I think that is awesome.

I think thats interesting fact of being first at something, not like being worlds first racing track ever (Brooklands), but still quite big.

Also a trailer for something that seems to be interesting documentary, but you have to subscribe to Goodwood members if you want to see it full:

Bernardo, woochoo, Corti and 3 others like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Bad weather and free time has resulted in bunch of good improvements today, was improving the track and working on 1954 physics too, happy about it all.

Polished some things around the track, mostly shaders and colours, a little bit of 3D improvements. Still Blender. Looks great in Moddev IMO, especially real time, rF2 simply is best at real time, slightly worse for screenshots. Main game is a bit different, hopefully will be able to maintain the looks, or maybe even improve (iproving is the only option).

Was awesome to add cameras, was very happy how it works in rF2, had good results while just scratched the surface.

Grass and tarmac lights up when facing sun in direct angles
    [​IMG]
    RL comparison, found that light yellowish specular collour gives this grass colour. PS you can see tarmac here is less shiny on outside, probably because it is rougher there, you'd get more grip there in the wet, I couldn't achieve it in rF2 with roughness value and separating surface, despite some people said it is doable.
    [​IMG]

Morning shade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morning first beams of sunshine
    [​IMG]

Zenith
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Closest call of the day, maybe.
    [​IMG]

Mental Ferrari 375MM Plus ride at early night, for some reason ralistic bad quality
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  13. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Those look stunning!

14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

They really do! Great!

15. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Great, just a remark, a bit too green for the grass, not sure you are on the "albedo range".

Alex72 and mantasisg like this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, aware of that. It is not easy to adjust it for all sun angles and sky conditions, but moving towards the right spot, I think.

Goodwood is special about how lawn looks there, it was especially green in 2015 revival. I don't want to compromise it, but certainly trying not to overdo it. Also I have not even tested outside devmode yet, it will be slightly different again.

My choice is to go brave with colors, but not stupid. Lots to learn still. Brightness might be slightly blown out now, even with S lum reduced. Woochoo gave me plenty of advices, I will have to digest it all and balance it properly. It is slowly getting there.

Legend, bravotangosix, lbird and 3 others like this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Have something for you to drive, test, and I hope give some feedback. Mostly for AI.

I have improved the look of the track a bit, by shaders and textures. Still a blender man, so nothing like more more 3D work, billboarding, or fixes for UV maps....

In devmode the track looks a bit more clean somehow. Don't really know exactly why. Performance is flawless in devmode, so perhaps that helps, there are various little things. I also have better immersion at night in devmode, in main game headlights seems too strong, iluminates track so much, especially howston headlights are crazy.

Added some basic trackside cameras.

Attempted to make surface that would be more slippery in the wet, and more grippy in the dry than the rest of the track. But looks like roughness values in .tdf aren't doing that. It changes how tire grips the same way for dry and wet as far as I have managed to observe, no inversion. So thats not what is needed, I wish old "wet" value would work.

Big thanks for @Bernd for doing AI. AI is basically what we need most feedback about. Personally I think AI can drive great, but when it comes to racecraft, it does not work well. It freaks out a lot, steers of the track when other AI blocks it when it is totally unnecessary and so on. Hopefully your feedback can help. Bernd originaly made extrasafe fastest path, I did one rather extreme, and now done one somewhere in between, all seemed to be similar at how AI can cope with racing.

You can have 33 cars, 11 pits shared by three cars. Or in other words 32 cars and your car. Pit speed limit is ~46 km/h.

I hope you'll have fun though, and will not forget to help us, you help yourself too if you want better Goodwood. Thank you. And your welcome. Here is the link:

Edit:
    Seems like I will have to darken textures even more, at first sight track looked as well as it does in Devmode, but now I have looked more precisely, and seems like although brightness is good in devmode, in main game it is still too bright... :((((

Edit again:
    Removed the link. Even though it is just meant for testing, but still...
    I think I rushed the release a bit, at least I could darken the textures once more, and attempt to look at what is causing all that micro stuttering.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  18. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Looking forward to having a crack at this mate.

mantasisg likes this.
  19. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'm not entirely sure why there is a difference between devmode and the main hope. Hoping it gets fixed for you. Looking forward to the next release

mantasisg likes this.
  20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

What is the dark blob in the middle of the screenshots, mate? On the non-Zenith screens its like a dark section in the middle.

Looking incredible though. Thanks for making this! :)

mantasisg likes this.