3ds Max 2017 Plugin

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaREALMastaD, Feb 7, 2019.

1. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Hi all,

I wasn't sure when this was included or if it was mentioned in any releases but there now is a 3ds Max 2017 Plugin available (beta) in the Support -> Tools -> Plugins folder if anyone was looking for a newer release than 3ds Max 2012. I've tested it and so far they are working like the 3ds Max 2012 version. The only thing difference I noticed was trying to load the same model in 3dSimED after the export from 3ds Max 2017. The textures don't load correctly in that but they load fine in the game.

Mauro and Alexandr Meshkov like this.
  2. fab06

fab06 Registered

yep .. first time i try to open a new object from 2017 in 3Dsimed there's an error , but i retry a second time to open it and it work well ..

thing i see with 2017 , now when i export my billboard trees and open in 3dSimed , they are not on the ground but 2.5m above where they are suppose to be :confused:

it's perhaps not the 3ds2017 plugin, but me ??

3. lagg

lagg Registered

3DSimED isn't updated since october. I don't know if this has anything to do.

4. AlenC

AlenC Registered

Any special reason to use 3DSimED? I wasn't sure if it was required, but in the end I managed to get the track from max directly in dev mode.

5. fab06

fab06 Registered

first reason for me is the billboard tree , i don't known where they will appears after 3ds export (on the ground or 2 meters upper) i can change it via 3dsimed3 ..
    second reason : canot import something with 3dsMax and keep the RF2 materials
    and 100 others reason ;)

6. AlenC

AlenC Registered

I was planning on testing billboards today. We'll see how that goes... But other than convenience, is there a reason to use 3DSimEd?

I was wondering about one more thing, I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread a bit: can I set up instances in 3ds max so that only one gmt gets exported? Right now a new file is created for every instance, even though it's the same mesh.

7. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

This is great news ! Where to search the shaders in 3dsmax ?

Mauro likes this.
  8. AlenC

AlenC Registered

I have it set here: ...\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Shared

roberteker and nericksenna like this.
  9. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

Thank you !
    It seems that it still can't work with Slate Material Editor in 3dsmax, BUT it does work (just as in preceeding versions of 3dsmax) with Compact Material Editor (I say that just in case).

roberteker likes this.
  10. McNolo

McNolo Registered

@Tuttle I think I have found a bug. The specular configuration disappears from the asphalt when I export with the 2017 plugin, however in the 2012 version it works well. It should work the same, right?

AlenC likes this.
  11. McNolo

McNolo Registered

@Tuttle Another problem. I have exported some objects (lines) with "Chroma color" and they work fine, but if I annul Chroma color and change Source and Dest Blend to "Src Alpha" and "Inv Src Alpha", they dissapear, they become completely transparent, it seems the plugin don't respect the alpha channel.

12. Goibaka

Goibaka Registered

@Tuttle: I give you a new report/bug .... Using the Bump spec map T1 Stamp Vertex shader with Billboard trees working correctly but the light is inverted in the bump map only in the red channel. The sun comes from one side, for example the left side, and the normal ones illuminate the right side. Curiously the normals illuminate well top and button side. I am not sure if that also happens with max 2012 plugin.

13. AlenC

AlenC Registered

Sounds like you have to invert red channel in photoshop. It's always trial and error for me because not all renderers have the same normal standards...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Mauro likes this.
  14. roberteker

roberteker Registered

Does this work in 3D Studio Max 2019.3?

Does instanced objects work with rFactor 2?

Do I need separate collision meshes for things like barriers?

Is there a beginner tutorial somewhere, or does anyone plan to make one?

15. AlenC

AlenC Registered

I used these videos to get me started:
    They are older, but as far as I could tell, correct.
    This is also useful: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/tracks/track-art

About other questions; as far as I know, instances are not possible in rFactor 2, but I'd love to be corrected on this. Collision meshes you can make if you want to. I don't know when would it be required performance-wise... And the plugin should work in 2019, usually they are forward compatible, but I haven't tested it yet.

roberteker likes this.
  16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can export instanced objects, if that's what you mean.

17. AlenC

AlenC Registered

But it will create separate .gmt for each instance?

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes. The GMT contains all the data(location,etc), so it's necessary.

AlenC likes this.
  19. AlenC

AlenC Registered

Thanks! I thought this is what roberteker was asking as well. I myself spent some time trying to figure out how to export one mesh that is then referenced on different positions.

20. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

One huge combined mesh is not ideal for rFactor2. the way you do it is you create the instance in the scene file and the individual meshes inside that instance container. The performance is a lot more optimized this way than trying to export 1 huge mesh as an instance.