What are the most realistic cars on rF2 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Mar 9, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Having almost no time for simulation at this time, and being exclusively interested in the "realistic" aspect (the most realistic of the simulation), I would like your opinion concerning the cars that you think are probably the most realists in rF2.

I thought about cars made by S397, Kartsim, GP3 and Palatov (SlowMotion), and some ISI cars but I can not sort them in terms of "realism" (that's the problem).

Having little time to devote to simulation/rF2, I want to use only the cars for which we have good reason to think that they are "realistic" ("").

Thank you.

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Norma M30 from GTE pack

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

usf2000

Raven_ARG and DrivingFast like this.
  4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Mak Corp Group C cars are pretty good although they updated the C11 with a rather lame engine to give the 962's an advantage.

FSOne 2009 is the most realistic to me in driving characteristics pretty close on tuning response. Its an update from the rF1 version but the cockpit view angle is a bit off.

S397 did a great job on the 1975 Brabham & March cars along with the McLaren F1 cars.

Most of the other GT and Prototype cars are just a bit too arcade like in feel to me, but well suited to beginners.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

how does anyone here possibly know?

6. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

In theory all official content must to be in line with a good realism.
    Your worst "enemy" is the time. If you can't dedicate time to solve setup issues you cannot understand or believe a sort of realism in a car.
    Try to drive the road cars (Corvette C6 or the NSX) for to see if you can find the realism you are looking for.
    In my opinion the '66 F1 Brabham is really a blast. Obviously i never driven that car but what it does and how it does smells a lot of realism for me because this car does what you can see on old footage.

Pawel44 likes this.
  7. bwana

bwana Registered

Only the guy who drives the USF and probably Sevenmiles and the caterham , unless someone releases the rf version of the race sprites then l could comment lol

8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I know of over a dozen others whom I've either raced with or contracted engineering services to with track experience. You might be surprised to learn how many retired drivers run sims. And a few who haven't retired....

Dookie, DEK, vegaguy5555 and 4 others like this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

What is realistic exactly in a sim

Oh please do explain? you get every single force as you do in a real car in a sim? I'm sure there's no hardware out there capable even. Most sims can't even replicate a manual box properly lol
    Just a game which is trying to simulate real life..

Its all it is guys. Just enjoy them for what they are. Nothing comes close to getting into a real race car and putting your life on the line every lap.

mr.Sw1tchblade and DEK like this.
  10. bwana

bwana Registered

If a mod simulates wheel and pedal inputs and weight distribution and slip angles from tires then and their wear , that’s as close as we can expect , best to tell if that correct is from those that drive the actual car.. period

mantasisg likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@LokiD if realistic wasnt the issue you would play other games and never touch any sim
    its well known that rf2 software offers racing realism

juanchioooo and bluet like this.
  12. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Why all real drivers and racing team use simulator?
    Because they are useful and realistic.

We are searching something near or similar for creating racing experience (with all limits that we know).
    Very simple.

P. S. If we want a game we can use all pc/consolles arcade titles (i hate them)

Pawel44, juanchioooo and mesfigas like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes also I'd say correct pace is important, but it might as well be just result of correctly simulated things. Wheels and pedals inputs can be a bit different with different drivers, but I suppose still should be similar. Tires and conditions are also never completely identical. But yeah I suppose if car simulates slip angles and ratios, load at tire contact patch, and correct way how friction works through all times, then car must be spot on then.

I suppose not every driver is equally capable to compare his RL experience with simulation, but it is huge advantage in terms of feedback. Also, I'd suppose engineers that are familiar with car also could give good feedback. I think casual guy at internet also can possibly make moderately valuable feedback if observant enough to pick things from onboard and exterior video material, but thats definitely not very reliable.

The only fully reliable thing is data I suppose, but is it ? Is data completely accurate too ? For example how are slip angles/ratios acquired ? Are they more theoretical approximated descriptions of tire behavior, or they always fit how it works in practice ? Aren't they acquired in test rigs and mainly test tire construction abilities at different loads vs slip, but they spin on smooth belts/drums, doesn't they ? I wonder what grip those test rigs have ? I wan't to learn about this slip angles standard thing more in detail. After all they just describes tire behavior, but the cause is friction and tire construction mechanics, I just guess that if simulation would use those parameters very well, then it could just simply not use slip angles at all, but just simulate them ?

Anyway drifted far again lol... sorry

For some reason to my mind ISI Megane Trophy is very believable.

juanchioooo, Jason Mullin and bwana like this.
  14. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    bwana and DrivingFast like this.
  15. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Realistic for me is when you can use the sim to generate setups that are pretty close to how the cars need to be setup in the real world.

DEK, vegaguy5555 and d0nd33 like this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

If it behaves how I'd expect it to, then it's realistic.

So if I'm going through La Source at full throttle, that's not realistic.

But if I take a modern F1 car through there and I get something similar to the behaviour of a real one, then yes.

All that said:

F1RFT 2013 behaves somewhat like the real things
    FVRV8 Supercars handle like the real things
    Slow Motion's GP3 cars
    Any of the S397 DLCs

juanchioooo and DrivingFast like this.
  17. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

It's a very tough and complicated question for us sim racers that do not have any time in real race cars, as we don't have real world feeling to compare it to.
    I have a '17 Dodge Charger that I've taken to the track on amateur day for fun.
    I learned many things during my track day but the two that stand out are you get a ton of feedback from your seat, and your brakes are not as good as you think they are.
    Not many of us have motion simulators, I've never even tried one and honestly don't know how accurate they are.
    If we're talking about what feels the most realistic using only a wheel and a load cell I have no idea, but would like to think S397 did an excellent job with the Norma as it's my favorite and feels damn good.

vegaguy5555 and juanchioooo like this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The main real difference between a simulator and reality is fear, in a simulator it does not exist, there are fast simulator pilots who in reality are no longer so good, with that I mean that fear makes a difference, in reality you you play life, in the simulator no.
    The street cars do not usually have racing clutches, or brakes, or tires, or roll bars, obviously there are other things that make a difference, but the fear is noticeable and a lot, when you have an accident in rfactor you hit the escape key and you start again, in reality if it is an accident it is very strong you have to take it out on many occasions, I have tried arcades and simulators, I can only say that the one I enjoy the most is rfactor, but that everyone enjoys with that he wants, here nobody wins anything, we just enjoy ...:):);)

19. dylbie

dylbie Registered

BMW M5 E39
    Toyota MR2 AW11 (unreleased)
    Lotus Cortina (unreleased)

:rolleyes:

Bozak likes this.
  20. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Take F1 Eve no wings at Spa '66 and you can try what is fear :)

P. S. Very disapponting that those cars aren' t yet supported/updated by S397 :(