VR world scale adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by lukadeu, Jan 6, 2019.

1. lukadeu

lukadeu Registered

Hello all,

First I have to tell that after years I am back to rfactor 2 and it is amazing. Bravo studio. I have all your new content and have a blast. I am playing only in VR. The expiriance is great, but with some small problem.
    The world scale for me is little off. It would be great if you implement world scale like RaceRoom. Some of us have IPD lower of that Oculus Support, so this is wery important for us. Please implement VR world scale adjustment.

Thank you,

Luka

Andregee, Ernie, Mattman and 2 others like this.
  2. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I agree with this.

This is one of the features, that makes the VR experience in RaceRoom and Project CARS 2 a little better for me. The thing is: Most people have their ipd values in a certain range from about 60 to 70 mm. These values are often adjustable inside the headsets (for example with the slider under the Rift which physically moves the lenses). I've read somewhere that the lowest possible value of the Samsung Odyssey for example is about 62 or 63 mm, which is way to much for my eyes.

For people with lower or higher ipd values everything will always look a little too small or too large. In my case i have an ipd of 56 or 57 mm (yes, you may make some jokes, but it doesn't look THAT funny) and in most games everything looks for me a little too small, about maybe 85 to 90% of what it should look like. It is still playable, but having the option to adjust the ingame ipd/stereo distance/world scale, what ever you want to name it, is always a very nice bonus and makes things look a little more right sized. For me the inside of a Ferrari 458/488 in rF2 or Assetto Corsa looks a little bit like the size a Smart car and it shouldn't be that way.

I understand this is not a priority for the devs, but i'd still be happy if we can get that option some day. People with very large/very low ipd will be very happy about that.

Ernie, Mattman and Javi288 like this.
  3. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

In addition to the fact that the world scale seems a bit reduced (something that would be solved with an adjustment of the world scale), there is an added problem:

The interior of the cars doesn't keep the same scale, some of them inside are proportionally smaller than others. This is clearly seen with the GTE DLC. The Porsche 911 RSR is very small inside, it seems that it is done at a lower scale than the rest of GTE and GT3 cars.

What I want to say is that you first have to match the scale of all the cars, and then offer a global scale adjustment.

Mattman likes this.
  4. Mattman

Mattman Registered

I am also a dedicated VR Sim Racer. IMO, rF2 is developing into one of the great modern racing sims, however... I agree that the scaling issue definitely needs a solution.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I have no issue with that, I found the scale correct in game, in AC & ACC I have issues with that, all seems too big, it's not the case in rF2 IMO.

How can we "control" / compare to be sure if it's scaled right?

I'm on an Oculus Rift (don't know if there is different scaling depending the headset)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I feel the same in my Rift CV1, in RF2/AC the scale feels just right, in ACC the steering wheel is massive and everything seems bigger and not to scale.
    Ideally a Scale Adjustment Option would be good, but getting it to work with every HMD out there may prove tricky.

7. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

I don't know if each type of headset shows a different scale. I have Lenovo Explorer and the scale varies a lot between Assetto Corsa and rF2.

You can try two cars with very different scale between both simulators. One of them is the McLaren 650 GT3 and the other one is the Porsche 911 RSR. En Assetto Corsa I see the correct scale, but in rF2 it's all very small.

MarcG likes this.
  8. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

I'm always referring to the cockpit of the car. Both the track and the others cars on the track I see them with the correct scale.

MaD_King likes this.
  9. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

I agree, playing in VR in rf2 anything out of cockpit is too small. opponents cars, track, objects around the track. please fix it or give us the world scale option

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Neawoulf likes this.
  10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

The two last feedbacks are at the opposite, so is there a mean to "measure" if it's scaled? Because I have no issue on my side, seems to be natural.

11. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Different ipd, different scale perception. For some people within a certain ipd range everything looks right, for others it doesn't.

The old Oculus DK2 software had the option to manually change the ingame ipd (stereo camera distance). The current Rift CV1 (and other VR headsets as well as far as i know) only have the option to change the physical lense distance of the headset which doesn't affect the ingame stereo distance. To make everything look right the ingame stereo distance, the ipd of your eyes and the lense distance must be the same. If your eyes ipd and the ingame stereo distance are different scale perception is off. That's why i think every game (or better every vr headset software) should have an option to manually change the ingame camera distance to adjust the scale perception.

Elite Dangerous for example is still a nightmare for me (still a good game) because my ingame body has about the size of a little monkey and there is no way to adjust the scale/stereo camera distance in Elite Dangerous.

MaD_King likes this.
  12. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Alright, i think i've found workaround. I googled a bit and stumbled over this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/amkqj4/psa_you_can_adjust_world_scale_for_any_app/

Guide:

- Go to your internet browser (firefox, chrome or whatever):
    enter: http://localhost:8998/console/index.html
    - then enter the following like where it says "Type a command":
    settings steamvr.ipdOffset scalehereInMeters

SteamVR must be active, otherwise you won't be able to see the SteamVR console in your browser. Once you've entered the new value you have to close SteamVR and restart it.

I tested a few different settings with my Oculus Rift CV1 (some extreme values, looks funny) and i found out that this setting is perfect for me (ipd between 56 and 57 mm, only tested in rF2 so far):

settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.0030

Try different values and choose a car where you can clearly see whether the setting is right or not. In case you've messed your settings up and everything looks wrong you should be able to set it right again simply by setting the offset value to zero:

settings steamvr.ipdOffset 0

I only tested this with the Rift CV1, but i guess it should work with Vive or WMR headsets as well (basically anything that works with SteamVR).

I'd rather see this feature (well documented, so people understand why it does) implemented into all VR games or SteamVR itself, but for now this is a workaround i can live with. Finally my GT3 cars aren't as small as a little hothatch anymore. Not sure why the SteamVR devs hide this feature away like this. For me as someone with an ipd slighly below average this is an important feature.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Kelju_K, Ernie, Mattman and 4 others like this.
  13. Mattman

Mattman Registered

Thanks Neawoulf. Looking forward to trying this out.
    Edit, It Works.
    Cheers mate.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Neawoulf likes this.