Frequent stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Morvic, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Morvic

Morvic Registered

Hello,

I've had an identical problem with my game for a very long time now and I don't know how to fix it.

I did everything that came up to my mind - PC clean format, reinstalling the game on another drive, lowering down graphic settings, completely uninstalling graphic drivers (with Display Driver Uninstaller so to make sure it was a complete uninstall), modified several things in player.json, setting high priority in task manager, disabling any windows game overlays and such - nothing has helped. It is game breaking because it's not only making me lose time, but it's also dangerous as I can't see what's going on around me on track. It happens anywhere; singleplayer, multiplayer, any content. FPS and internet are completely fine (160 FPS and 60 ping to the server). My PC specs:

GTX 1070 8GB
    i5-6400 @ 2,7 GHz (runs at 3,2)
    8GB Ram
    Game runs on 256GB SSD

I'd really appreciate the help because I have a 12h race on saturday and I don't want to ruin my team mates' race...

Regards,
    Morvic

2. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

Make sure your PC is not set to power saving mode.
    You can start with some basic things that could help if you don't have them set right.
    See attached image. Also, in the player.json find the line 'Max Framerate' (see attached) and cap the max frame rate to either 107 or 89 (unless you run 144hz monitors and need higher, but then make sure your PC is able to keep it well above 144 frames)
    rF2_gfxS.jpg

3. stonec

stonec Registered

This happens most likely because your CPU is running out of real time (check the purple bar by pressing Ctrl+C in game). The number one suspect should always be the mod, as some third party mods have wonky physics. If the problem exists with modded content but not with stock content, then the mod is the problem.

The second most likely reason is that your CPU is not maintaining its specced frequency. Reasons can be many, heat, improper cooling, background tasks running, etc. I would run task manager or a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner in the background and track CPU frequency and usage during a session.

4. Morvic

Morvic Registered

I already limit the FPS to 90, does that make a difference if I set it to 89? (60Hz Monitor)
    The track is Matsusaka and the content I'm experiencing this on is the endurance pack too. But I had it on modded content too.

I will test this tonight and will come back here if it will solve it.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Matusaka used to be stuttering chronically, not sure why, one of the few tracks that were problematic... try another one.

6. Morvic

Morvic Registered

I can't really try another one as I have a 12h race there tommorow xD

The stuttering is less frequent now but it still happens. I guess it's better off that way instead of them happening every lap, but I'd really want that fixed anyway :/

@stonec I've done the thing you said with shift+c and the purple bar goes all the way to the right when the stutters appear. That means the CPU isn't really up to the challenge?