HUD small enhancement/feature

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avenger82, Aug 25, 2018.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

The official HUD looks much more modern then previous one, but I'm missing small thing - a good indication that RPMs are about to reach maximum.
    It could be done by turning gear indication red (like it's done in most sims) and i.e. finally flash when RPMs reached max. This way players could easily notice it's time to change gear (even through peryferial vision). It would be very simple thing to implement, but quite helpful. If for some reason someone likes the way it there could option to turn it off.

BTW: I like that finally there's "Delta best" feature, but it also could be better like in AC where it compares your brief performance (not only overall) There could be an option to compare to all time best (record lap) not only session best.

Turbonetick and jayarrbee36 like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

No one thinks it would be useful (especially when focused on track)?
    Well I guess I'll keep using SHQM_HUD which has this "feature" (among few others).

It's pity because despite official HUD looks modern, such things make rF2 a bit odd (all other sims I know have such clear indication), especially such thing is super easy to implement. I'm not asking for track map plugin. New users usually don't hunt for third-party plugins or mods to improve usability .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Turbonetick likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@avenger82 I'm not sure what you were expecting. I suppose you wanted a whole heap of people to come here and agree, but even if 30 people post saying yeah, great idea, let's hope they do that... it doesn't mean it will happen. The lack of such posts doesn't mean it won't happen. So the lack of posts, or you continuing to use the SHQM hud, doesn't make anything a pity.

The lack of posts also doesn't mean "no one thinks it would be useful". Heck, @jayarrbee36 even liked your post. There are literally hundreds of "I wish" posts (most of them probably in the wish list section), many of which have agreement posts, some have few or none. We all have wishes, and some of us might wish for this as well, but it doesn't mean we're going to jump into all threads that talk about things we want and start stomping our feet in unison.

Also, the ability for people to make custom HUDs is welcome and well used, so probably a lot of people - like you - aren't even using the default HUD. So it's not a major need for them, or at least major enough to warrant their posting here in support in the 2 days since you created the thread.

I'm pretty sure the devs see most of these posts, and will take things on board if they aren't already on their list, but you shouldn't take it personally if you don't get many responses from the community.

WiZPER likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have used the HUD editor in Dev Mode and "super easy" is not really a term that comes to mind.
    Doable but not user friendly.

5. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I was expecting any reply, and of course hopefully that someone also misses it so I have confirmation such "enhancement" would be sensible.
    I meant it would be pity if official HUD won't have this "enhancement".

7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can’t say I have ever needed or used the rpm displays to know when to change gear,I just go by the engine sound.

Saying that if people find it useful then why not

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What you see as an enhancement, may be a distraction to others.

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Th
    Would it be for you? Then user could easily turn it off, but there's reason other sims have it by default.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

It's not possible to disable a feature in a HUD.
    You have to disable the whole HUD.

WiZPER likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The S397 HUD is ugly, and yep... I dont get why it doesn't go red when close to the limiter, especially when too many cars (even official content, what is a shame!) dont have the rpm leds done right.
    Use other alternatives you can find in the workshop it's better, but equaly ugly.

enduser and avenger82 like this.
  12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I still use SHQM_HUD, but it also has disadvantages - the biggest one is that it hides big part of front dash (at least with most layouts). If a car has implemented rev limit indication among other useful info( like most modern racing cars), it's better to be able to see it.

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I doubt it's really a distraction. Like I said other sims have it on a HUD. There's a reason real racing cars have animations or simple light indication when close to rev limit. Even F1 cars have some indication since like 30 years, and drivers require maximum focus. But I don't know, maybe for some drivers it's some kind of distraction, but probably benefits outweigh such "distraction". If it would really be distraction some drivers would have it disabled(real dashboards are often customizable).

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

for me delat best is bugged at sebring with the official HUD so i dont use it anymore
    any other HUD i tried in sebring is doing Delta best bot not the ofiicial hud

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And we already have that in most cars, just use cockpit view to see the dash.

16. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Rev strip on my Fanatec works very well. I like a minimalistic HUD and often race with nothing on.

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

But not everyone has hardware rev strip...

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

How about I want to drive those who don't have it or the indication is not clearly seen with peripheral vision ? Also some have clear indication of rev limit, but it lights way too soon (i.e. S397 BMW GTE).
    Wouldn't it be better to just implement some sort of clear rev limit indication in a HUD like it's done in other sims?

19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

There is a great modded HUD with a simple big gear indicator and speed/RPM and the gear number turns red. It also has stuff around the mirrors. Its all black and all the most important stuff. Im more of a CrewChief guy and only a gear indicator is enough, but that HUD is pretty neat. At work atm so cant remember the name, but its one of those popular ones at Workshop.

WiZPER likes this.
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

There are few popular on Workshop. I used SHQM_HUD for long time and it's good, except it's opaque and hides car's dashboard.

Alex72 likes this.