BMW M6 GT3 rear end dampers issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TJones, Feb 20, 2019.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, could someone from car team please re-check damper values of this car. I did a few test laps at sebring with the M6 and to compare, with an AMG GT3.
    What i get is unusual high damper velocities at the rear axle of the M6, up to 500 mm/s. with the AMG only up to 200 mm/s.
    Front seems to be fine.

Motec suspension History BMW M6 with mid (20) damping all around:
    upload_2019-2-20_21-52-44.png
    Now M6 with max (1) damping all around:
    upload_2019-2-20_21-54-0.png
    In comparison the AMG with mid (3) damping all around:
    upload_2019-2-20_21-55-25.png

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Some of the GT3 cars use Ohlins shocks which work differently from the other dampers. (Mclaren for one, but there are more) The in-game values are reversed. You may be accidentally running one car's shocks exactly opposite of what you may have intended.
    so if you normally used the 12th setting out of 15, for the Ohlin based cars you would use the 3 setting to achieve the same results. Not sure that is what's happening, but sure looks convient.

3. TJones

TJones Registered

I'm aware of this, The M6 also use dampers with reversed setting. Setting 1 is the stiffest and 41 (if i'm not wrong) the softest. So i used mid setting of 20 (above chart) and stiffest setting of 1 (mid chart). But even with stiffest setting dampers are very soft. And that only at the rear axle.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. keith_d

keith_d Registered

Sebring is all high speed damper work, it's none stop bumps, the Porsche is the same

5. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Can you post a histogram with the “bin width” at 4 and in the velocity calculation tab the “filter time” at 0.02?

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Reversed labels or not (higher numbers meaning lower damping....) - the increment/decrement buttons in the settings menu should still work intuitively, shouldn’t they? I.e. clicking ‘minus’ on a damper will soften it - regardless of how the damper strength is labelled?

7. keith_d

keith_d Registered

M6 at Silverstone, did a few runs to dial it in a bit and not messed with the rest of the setup, it's not perfect but it's close enough

silverstone.jpg

8. TJones

TJones Registered

It's the same lap as in first post: BMW M6 with mid (20) damping all around.
    upload_2019-2-21_19-34-38.png

9. TJones

TJones Registered

@keith_d That looks good yes, front and rear are pretty similar. But Silverstone is a lot smoother than Sebring, so not much "work" for highspeed damping, maybe you also used stiff springs. That might explain your, of course far better Histogram.
    Maybe i do a test with the M6 at Silverstone later on, just for comparison.
    You use Atlas? Maybe you could do also a little test at Sebring, would be interesting. I used basically default setup, but with all damper values at 20.

Edit: Silverstone, derfault setup, but just like yesterday all dampers values at 20, no surprise the car works a lot better here.

upload_2019-2-21_21-8-40.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  10. keith_d

keith_d Registered

As you point out it's very track specific, there's a lot more going on at Sebring, the Porsche RSR produces a very similar readout to what you showed with the M6, I don't particularly agree with it either but then I'm not a huge fan of what go's on above the tyres in this game

If I get time I'll run a test tomorrow at Sebring, I'm running Motec btw

TJones likes this.
  11. keith_d

keith_d Registered

I didn't do more than a couple of laps at Sebring, I was quite busy in the day, it looked borked to me though

I did run a couple of suspension comparisions with another sim just out of interest, RF2 seems to work in a different way to Iracing with regards suspension and has minimal movement when compared, there's a lot more flexibility in Iracing for building that stable platform and controlling suspension movement and as a bonus the rear dampers worked on their RSR, shame about the tyres really :D

It's worth noting anyway as obviously the dampers play a big part in that movement, I'm off to take another break from RF2 for a while so I will leave you to enjoy :)

TJones likes this.
  12. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Even the silverstone one looks way off. 35% at 0mm/s front compared to 15% rear. That’s huge. The fast damping is obviously very very soft too. As a comparison here’s a histo from the Porsche GT3, different track but this is what it should look like. [​IMG]

mr.Sw1tchblade and TJones like this.