Long-standing, developer-ignored problems LIST

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UsedMomo, Feb 15, 2019.

1. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

I was inspired by LokiD's helpful reference thread to make one of my own. This is going to end up being a very long list indeed, so you are all encouraged to pitch in.

I'll keep the list updated in this first post.

The ones I can think of at the moment:

1. Rain is completely broken.
    (A) More grip on the rubbered-in parts than off the dry line. This is the opposite of reality.
    (B) AI continually pits.
    (C) Puddle simulation not implemented in physics.
    2. Unoptimized GT3 pack car models
    3. Wrong L/D ratios in all but low-downforce trims of the LMP2
    4. Camaro GT3 not BOP'd to current cars
    5. Realistic TC/ABS settings not implemented in any but the newest cars.
    6. UI (LOL!)
    7. Incomplete GT3 power pack dashboards.
    8. Simplistic gearbox/drivetrain.
    9. Spastic AI behavior at certain tracks.
    10. Disappearing cars (not related to max. visible vehicles.)
    11. Illogical damage.
    (A) Big hits often do too little harm.
    (B) Cars easily lose alignment from very minor hits.
    12. Long FCYs because AI doesn't know what to do.
    13. TC/ABS settings off by one notch between garage and track.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Karei, Godwind Racing, LokiD and 2 others like this.
  2. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Ok so point 1, and I'm not being a Studio 397 shill here, I'm not clear on what you mean in 1(A).
    Isn't the dry line the rubbered-in line? I raced at Red Bull Ring in the GT3's a couple of days ago in the rain and the racing line was definitely more grippy than the wet areas.
    1(B) The AI did not continually pit and you can watch the video here.

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I count this thread into the section 'things that the world don't needs'.
    The thread from @LokiD is helpful, yes.
    Your thread only lists again some things that have been reported more than 1 time already.
    Do you really seriously think that the devs don't know or ignore these things?
    And for example your point 6, the UI, is just your personal taste and no 'problem'.
    I like the current UI!

4. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Ai have problems depending from track as i can see. For example: gt3 cars sometimes jumping in the water at MonteCarlo 1966 track.

5. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Incomplete dashboards in GT3 power pack need improving.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Chevrolet Camaro GT3 2012 is standalone content.
    Why should Camaro GT3 from 2012 be BOP'd to modern current GT3 cars ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Great idea, but I am pretty sure that developers knows what to aim at, unless you wanted to make thread open and centralized for community to look at issues. In that case I could understand it. Though there is an entire subforum dedicated to technical issues and such.

In response to your list:

1. Rain is not completely broken, it just lacks some features.
    (A) Smooth agregate line vs rough agregate line. Thats a feature missing. And developers knows well how it works. Also I have read that it would be possible to make track which would work well for alternative lines in wet by using roughness value and chopping surface, but I don't know any which would have it, so perhaps there is still some issue blocking it. If I would advance with my track, I would certainly try it.
    (B) AI continually pits. I remember I used to have this issue, and it was very annoying, but I don't remember the last time I had it. I thought it is gone.
    (C) Puddle simulation not implemented in physics. Just a feature missing, not broken.
    2. Unoptimized GT3 pack car models. How ? Perhaps my PC runs them better, performance is good with them all.
    3. Wrong L/D ratios in all but low-downforce trims of the LMP2. Can't comment, don't have knowledge.
    4. Camaro GT3 not BOP'd to current cars. Why should it be ? I enjoy it being a lot different than current GT3 cars, I like that it is significantly more edgy, and more difficult to reach the limit. I never understand greed of GT3 people :D
    5. Realistic TC/ABS settings not implemented in any but the newest cars. Can't comment don't have knowledge.
    6. UI (LOL!). (Depressed fake laugh intensifies and transforms into uncontrollable cry - COL)

Sebastien Sestacq and Nitrometh like this.
  8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Enduracers has TC, pretty sure Apex does as well.

9. mermoid

mermoid Registered

This is his exact point. In real life drivers use alternate lines in the wet, because the normal racing line (the rubbered line) is much more slippery in the wet than the less-used parts of the track surface.

Adam Helyes, UsedMomo and t0p5ecret like this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just have found an issue.

-Look left/right does not look deep enough. And it is still difficult to judge if it is clear to leave the garage.
    -And this comes eventually. AI are not aware enough of players in the pits. I often get crashed by the AI in the pits.

I'd bet that it is not yet present in any sim because it brings difficulties for AI, especially with track grip distribution transforming in real time. AI should be able to interpolate between two completely different lines, also probably depending on the car, as some could sacrifice trajectories less than others. Also as irl it would be realistic if they would keep trying different lines, but thats probably too insane.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Look in your player.JSON file for this line and change to suit, it allows greater angles:

"Glance Angle":0.75,
    "Glance Angle#":"Angle to look left\/right (yaw) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",

As for the Rain section - "(B) AI continually pits." - I have not seen this at all and I've done a fair few Wet Races. Sure they're not "great" in the wet as with everything AI related they could be better overall (just like in every other Racing Sim available), but I've never seen them continually pitting.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  12. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Fair call, is this implemented in anything like AC, ACC or iRacing?

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

One thing i dont like is that when it rains you can see really far. If it rains heavily the vision in the distance should be misty and hard to see since drops as they are further away get closer to each other and cause a "curtain". You see it rain in that video but its clear to see really far. I Think S397 should add levels of mist depending on how hard it rains. Little rain - Little mist that makes the view distance slightly shortened, medium rain - more mist and shorter view distance. Heavy rain - more mist and even shorter view distance where mist/fog is thicker and thus cut off view distance. Just looks a bit weird with lots of rain and seemingly normal view distance with no mist. I Think in the other sims that have rain they have done this.

Would also be nice with less spray behind the cars when it just started to rain and then have thicker more opaque spray after a while if it continues to rain. Same when the rain stops. Let it have a lot of spray for a certain amount of time if it doesnt start to rain again, and after a while it Changes to less spray, less particles and more transparent and easier to see through.

But hey, this is not a wishlist. Just plopped into my mind, lol.

bears and AlenC like this.
  14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

The cars appearing/disappearing on the track (like ghosts) should be a priority to fix, it's really awful in live transmissions and during racing...

15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

As long as we're in the process . . . :eek:

Drive-train modeling; IIRC, only iRacing and RaceRoom currently model drive-train elasticity to an effective level where it can be heard, as well as felt with a motion rig. I think rF2 is certainly a simulation that deserves to have some advanced physics modeling where the gear-box and drive-train flex are concerned, being a fundamental physical aspect of racing-cars in general.

Ozzy likes this.
  16. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

List updated in first post.

Are you sure that's not related to the maximum visible cars setting?

17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Guess not, in our online league that is happening in every track, i have 23 visible cars, other people have same issues...

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Something I found to improve rain+AI experience, is not to start event with dry Real Road in rain. For my rainy races I prepare wet Real Road, and either have event mostly rainy or let it dry out. I also found that rain issues are content dependent - had zero issues with URD EGT or Apex GT3 and rainy races, even variable weather races. But yes, I saw that constant pitting issue, including with the official content (Atlanta, Karts), and reported it like 2 years ago, even collected a replay :D

Thing is let's be honest - AI fixes won't bring more players to rF2 (although I personally prefer offline racing). We can only hope AI will ever become a priority, and priority right now seems to be Competition system and all online, like iRacing. That is still good for all of us, because smooth online experience will require a lot of polish, optimizations all across the game.

bears, Rui Santos and Spyro like this.
  19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

FVRFactor V8 Supercars behave themselves as well.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I will add to this list, although my item is not a Long Standing or ignored item, Just that we are seeing the car painters already starting to produce some really excellent skins. But AFAIK, only the user's car can display the new skins. S397 needs to figure out why they AI cars won't accept the new skins being produced.