OcioKart Project

Discussion in 'Locations' started by SPASKIS, Apr 29, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I started one year ago but my dedication has been very irregular.
    The basic layout that you can see in the video in the OP took me a full weekend (maybe 24 hours work). The building itself took me more than 40 hours probably. Details take most of the time. Technique helps re ducing required time.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Please find attached version 1.16.

OcioKart_1.16.rfcmp

- improved AIW for Mr Collin's joy ;)
    - shadows in tires
    - new collision model for tires according to Quebec standard with slight modifications. Needs lot of learning since they still suck.
    Only row end and isolated tires are moveable. Dont't try to cross barriers.

Enjoy!

chisco85 likes this.
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Why thank you!! The AI is a big improvement!

The only thing left that is really critical in my opinion is the billiard table-smooth track. It has no slopes, no camber, no bumps, no pavement imperfections...just perfectly flat. Any added realism in those ways will make this a stand-out track and equal to the best. As mentioned, the graphical attention to detail is already fantastic and now working AI, too! It's very close.

You'll notice from the video of the real track that it is not so flat. The whole area is on a bit of a slope and then each section (especially the corners) of track is canted for drainage purposes and has some camber as you would expect for a race track. These are all small, but critical for realism details that I hope you can work in as time progresses.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi Marc,

I completely agree on what you say. I actually don't need the video since I live half an hour away from the track. The problem is the method to use, to do a proper job. I have been doing some research and trials with barometric altimeters, gps devices to see if statistically I can remove all the noise and imperfections that the lack of precision of those devices introduce.

I wonder if some smart guy from around this forum could develop a mobile app that would record the signals of the sensors of a mobile device (accelerometers, pressure, gps location, and put them into a transferable csv file time log. If it could be programmed to start at the same time that a video was recorded (to fine tune position) it could help me a lot. I think that with cumulative integration and crossing signal something could be done if driving at a constant speed.

I haven't found anything like that in the play store. Only inclinometers and some altimeters for biking where the required precision is very different from what I need for an almost flat track.

I guess the app should not look good and should focus on the task which might be quite processor and memory writing exigent. I have a Samsung s4 so I guess it should be able to manage it.

In any case I will write a pm to Flypt. I would like to talk to him about this project and see how precise the software he has developed for webcams could be in terms of elevation data.

5. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Thanks Spaskis!!

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, honestly, I don't think it needs a technological solution. If you can actually manually add these features into the track without screwing-up the rest of your work, then an "eyeball" approximation is sufficient. There will be next to no people who have actually driven the track in real life using it, so we won't know if it's accurate down to the centimetre or not. But everyone will benefit from some close approximation to the slope, camber and track surface improvements (including the curb surfaces and traction level).

There are many fictional tracks that nail these qualities just because they seem real and appropriate for the surroundings. This track is fairly flat compared to many others, so the change will be minimal overall, but you and I know that a hairpin curve with a 2% camber gradient is way different (and more fun) than a perfectly flat one. It's what makes outdoor kart tracks so much better than the industrial warehouse-style indoor tracks with their perfectly flat concrete floors. If you have access to the track in real life, I think you could get us 95%+ accuracy with these simple measurements and then some intelligent tweaking:

1) The total elevation difference from the highest position on the track to the lowest (the track owner may have a plan that shows this, or you'll have to just do your best to estimate if you don't have professional surveyor equipment and technique (joking))
    2) Take an accurate level (could be a metre stick combined with a smart phone level app) and estimate the camber of each corner

That's it! If these are not possible because the owner won't let you or doesn't know about this project, then just "eyeball" it (meaning just use your best estimate).

If the owner doesn't know, you should consider seeking permission and co-operation. If I were them, I would hopefully realize that I had zero chance of getting any licencing fees for my little track "in the middle of nowhere," but also recognize that I was getting some free publicity. There will be some of us rF2 fans who would seek out the track if we were visiting the area, but who otherwise would never know that it existed! I would supply you with the official logo, etc., AND give you as much free track time/kart rental as I could afford.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

First of all thanks for your involvement! The track is 100 % flat atm. I have permission from the owner and I can walk through the track whenever I go around midday during the week. However I insist in doing it the best way I can. I need to go with my notepad and take notes provided a printed layout. Next time I go I will spend a couple of hours.
    Until then the track will remain flat. Hopefully in june when I get off work at around 14.30 I will be able to do this.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Fantastic. The track is already great and fun and if you can make it more accurate then all the better :)

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Spaskis that sounds perfect ! Looking forward to your next steps with this track.
    Thanks for the progress feedback and all the done work ! :)

10. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thanks for this very good track...as usual!

11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Hello I tested seriously the track 1.15 version yesterday, and I have a question. The Curbs seems to be flat too, Is it only paint on the real track or they are real curbs? I love the track layout, but without bump and curbs it's easy to cut and gain time without risk.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes they are painted tracks. The risk resides in hitting the tires or getting into the gravel. When final version is ready it shouldn't be easy to cut without risk.

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Ok, thank you for your quick answer. I will test again with 1.16 version to check where anti-cut tires have to be added if any to help a bit.

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

This is a good way for your son to gain advantage over other drivers when the time comes. Most other drivers won't have either rFactor2 or this track. ;)

15. Cercata

Cercata Registered

Amazig, güeñes karting !!!
    Does this work well with the DX11 version ?

16. lagg

lagg Registered

The circuit isn't adapted to DX11.
    Spaskis can't answer you, because he's banned in this forum.

chisco85 likes this.
  17. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

Why?

Telling the truth is now a reason to be banned?

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

He had some good modding work, researches and findings, but he was also very toxic for this forum with his "truth". He was jumping from topic to topic spreading negativity, to the point where it was very annoying and unbearable to read those discussions. I speak for myself of course.

nonamenow likes this.
  19. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

I think his posts were inspiring and he was always straight; even when he agreed with the "Establishment" and even when he criticized it, and always argumenting his opinions, which is much more useful than hundreds of "fanboy style" posts, but rather than willing to ban those unuseful posts, I simply ignore them.
    I speak for myself (and for about twenty other 3rd party content creators I've been talking about this during the last week, and on behalf of the freedom of opinion) of course.

chisco85 and lagg like this.
  20. chisco85

chisco85 Registered

Hello good morning friends, just incredible, there are more tracks of karts and especially Spanish for there? thanks from Galicia greetings