Latest Roadmap Update - January 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@LokiD
    you are correct
    why buy DLC if such bugs still remain and ruin rf2
    developers must listen to this

2. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Many of us are looking forward to the revamp of the online system. I am one of them. But I think we also have to recognize that as things currently stand, there are probably way more people using rF2 in an offline mode. That is, either just individual practice/hotlapping alone or racing against the AI. And if there are any bugs that affect the event condition, those affect offline as well as online and ought to be fixed as a matter of priority.

I'm an iRacing member, and I tend to online race there. I've been doing very little of that recently because I am just utterly frustrated at the tire model, which makes you end up doing stupid things with tire pressures and the like to stop the tires massively overheating. It affects everything you do when driving - either practice or racing, since now with low pressures you need 3-4 laps to get up to pressures where the tires won't overheat, but those 3-4 laps are horrible blancmange/jelly tires and a complete waste of time and effort and have to be repeated for each trip back to the pits. So I've been doing any practice on rF2 offline, and have the added benefit there of even when doing those runs I'm not alone because I can have AI. I don't race against the AI, hence why I am not sure what bugs affect full race sessions. Even if people league race rF2 online, I'll bet they do their practice offline and against AI. Frankly, the UI replacement is less of an issue if you're an offline user.

BTW I am enjoying the Endurance and GT3 Packs for cars, and Sebring as a LS track, the driving experience is very good. This has however now finally shown my poor old PC needs to be replaced; this isn't an rF2 thing, all sims have stretched the old girl to the limit. Complaints about performance optimization are a bit of a difficult one, because the system is doing things now it wasn't capable of before but the hardware needs to be up for it. Should the performance be reasonable on the hardware you have? It depends. But the sims are only going to get more sophisticated and require more horsepower to show at their best; we all know this.

Lazza, coltair, John and 3 others like this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

game with the best AI ever

EsxPaul, TJones and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  4. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes AI, graphic, sound, physics all great. But waaay to expensive. :D

EsxPaul and mesfigas like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They need to work on their grass textures....

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

they said they will upgrade clouds - grass -enviroment light (PBR)

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  7. Louis

Louis Registered

Despite graphics and vr support, paid content and simplier tire model, i dont think rf2 canged a lot from ISI times.

Mulero, Rui Santos and Mauro like this.
  8. tpw

tpw Registered

Not the most substantial of progress reports, but at least we get them! For various (largely justified) reasons it's brought out a bit of negativity, which is a shame.

I'm happy to support S397 by buying DLC even for content that I don't have much personal use for (eg Formula E), because it's pretty obvious that the funds are being used to implement some really substantial and much needed changes to rF2's performance, graphics, tyre model, online (eventually), UI (eventually) and hopefully future changes to the AI and some aspects of the simulation such as drivetrain. Similarly if the funds from side projects such as TGT are helping with this process then I'm all for it.

The news that more people have been hired for content is interesting. More content means more $ and more exposure, which is great. However I hope that at least some of the content people are used in a QC capacity to reduce what has to be the single greatest flaw in rF2: inconsistent (within and between releases), unfinished, unpolished and bug ridden content. S397 charge a premium for DLC, and one should be able to expect premium quality. Instead we variously get:
    • Cars with unoptimised polys that kill framerates
    • Cars with no liveries upon release
    • Cars with missing external and cockpit components
    • Cars with no windscreen textures
    • In-car displays with misaligned and overlapping fonts
    • Rev lights not matching car revs
    • Totally misaligned side mirrors
    • Fuzzy low res rear facing cameras
    • Overly dark and low contrast cockpit lighting
    • etc
    • etc
    Sure none of these things detract from the phenomenal core driving experience that the latest packs provide, but they sure do detract from the positivity (and hence potential future sales) that the new releases should be generating for S397, even if some of them are addressed subsequently. They're not symptoms of engine shortcomings, to me they're just lack of attention to detail as S397 seeks to rapidly expand its roster of wanted modern GT and Endurance cars. As I've opined before, once S397 get the fundamentals of the graphics, UI and competition infrastructure in place I really hope they can go over all their content and polish it up to a uniform high standard that the new engine features are capable of showcasing.

Emery, 2ndLastJedi, AlenC and 10 others like this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Simplier tyre model.!? . Er no they fixed the tyre model. Again realistic doesn't mean hard..

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They only came with one livery because they were built around the new shaders which (at the time) weren't ready. This was clarified a few times.

Hocician likes this.
  11. Stevy

Stevy Registered

like the first GT3 pack ? :rolleyes:

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

So when do we get an indicator how much grip is on the track, on MY system? 50% info, 50% control that rf2 is playing fair?
    Too much strange things happened for me, in race no grip at all anymore suddenly and so on.
    Number like average grip level on aiw line should be equal for everyone. Should be calculated like tire physics would grab it.
    Real road is so important for speed, without any info what level everyone has (in ideal case the same, however it must be transferred so many issues can happen leading to variations) every online race result is worth nothing actually.
    Trust is good, control is better.

13. Louis

Louis Registered

What? Where did I say that realistic means hard? In addition, the simplification of the tire model does not correct the old tire model. You are shifting the approach to get closer to the real data, i hope. Probably to focus resources on better graphics, new user interface, improved online system, licensing material to make money with dlcs, etc ...
    My point is that ISI problems should not be an excuse for rf2's current problems. As I said, rf2 users still complain the same way when ISI was leading. No one was forced s397 to buy rf2, it's been 2 or 3 years since the owners of the software changed, if they (s397) had started from scratch we would not be having this conversation and i would probably still playing ISI broken product because third party mods

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

15. Louis

Louis Registered

It is not a presidential campaign anymore

Rony1984 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  16. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

i understand your point, but content and code-changes do not hold up each other. different tasks, different people. just think about the old ui which was huge. It is a lot of work to redesign it from scratch on a such olf software base rF2 has. every single button needs a function and a call to the local api. the ui is everywhere, car selection, replay, monitor, multiplayer lobby. the new ui will bring rF2 to a new level of communication, racing, participating, etc.

17. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

would be nice to have some new zealand tracks to race the TRS cars on :D

Adrian likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Is there a track at Hobbiton?

AlenC likes this.
  19. Adrian

Adrian Registered

How about Manfield home of the NZ grand prix :cool: ...bias cause Its my local track lol

20. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

mine too :D, there's a rf1 version, maybe a starting point for a port

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.