Released NEW! GT3 Challengers Pack NOW Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 22, 2018.

1. gluon

gluon Registered

I love both the Audi and the Aston Martin, can't decide between those two. The Audi as a bit more lively rear end, but still under my control and it actually helps with the rotation. The Aston Martin has an amazing handling and I feel confident to push 100% all the time, unlike for instance with the McLaren 720S which is too oversteery for me, at least using the default setup. I'll start tweaking the setups a little bit now though.

2. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

I've tried all the GT3 cars and I love so much all the GT3 cars available into rF2, Amazing sim the best in regards to FFB for GT3.
    I am sure Studio 397 will improve the GT3 cars a lot in the coming months. I really hope as per their January report.

I've tried all the GT3 cars, for me the best is the Audi R8 LMS behind the Audi my preferred cars are Aston and McLaren move forward I have Porsche and all the other cars.

muzikant, Alex72 and gluon like this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It takes some times, but once you've grasped it, it's easier than it looks.

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

All this talk about the painting system being hard and confusing is ridiculous!

Paint the car just as you always have.
    Base color and livery design, Then add the sponsors logos, Brands, number plate and so on. Just as you always do.
    Set up regions:
    Alpha. Same as always. White were the base colors are and grey out areas were Carbon fibre is.
    Set up for This Livery.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-3-32.png
    Set up Base colors in a layers Group just to make it easier.
    Something like this,
    GREEN Base color. White will be Chrome, BLACK will be as it looks, Black.Or dark grey in the this case.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-7-13.png
    Set up another Layers group for all the decals, brands, sponsors.
    Basically vinyl sticker.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-17-47.png
    Add the Alpha to the Alpha channel just as you always have so it suits your livery and not what is default from S397. Chances are it's wrong for your livery.
    Duplicate the two Layer Group.
    For this livery example. BLACK Base color set as Car Paint. WHITE, Chrome. BLUE is also Car Paint. You'll see why latter. GREEN is set to Matte Carbon but because the green is set on the Alpha there is a chase GREEN could be used for something else.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-23-3.png
    All the details, Sponsors and so on I've set up RED as shinny vinyl.
    So now you have the REGIONS set up for this livery. IMPORTANT! The Regions DDS needs to have the Alpha channel the same as the livery DDS.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-30-45.png
    SAVE both Livery and Regions to DDS in the skins folder just the same way as you've always done!
    It's far from hard or confusing so far surely?

Open the car in rF2 tuning (Showroom). The base livery should show
    rF2 needs to be running and the car in the showroom before you open the Painteditor.
    This is the editor set up for this livery. BLACK on the Region is the one used for the Green area. It has added Green lighter than the base color and a yellow Metallic to add affect. BLUE Region is the Black area. It stops the Metallic affect in this area. RED region is all the decals as shinny vinyl.
    upload_2019-2-7_17-41-13.png
    There's really nothing "HARD" about it!
    upload_2019-2-7_17-50-36.png

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

At the moment add-on skins for these cars want run as AI. The Virtual Ride set up as a stand alone team are defaulting to the livery the Virtual Ride is using the veh from.
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    GT3
    {
    Grace
    {
    Team = Race Team
    Component = Porsche_911_GT3_R_2018
    Skin = alt.dds
    VehFile = Pres91184162220.VEH (As Example)
    Description = Race Team #00
    Number = 00
    }
    }
    Editing the json makes no difference.
    Hope to see a fix very soon.?

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks @D.Painter for that guide. Also, its exactly how i remeber it from skinning other sims. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to the skinning itself. Maybe its the files around it. I wouldnt know as i never done rF2. Anyway, cheers man.

7. Hocician

Hocician Registered

Thgank you so much for this!! <3

8. gluon

gluon Registered

@D.Painter or anyone else would you happen to know how to change or get rid of the windscreen stickers? I suppose this is done through some windows.dds file, but I don't see any on the templates folder.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Between this and the official instructions it gives me some confidence I can create one.
    I wish there was someone local that could come over and walk me though it I'd buy beer and lunch!!
    I will try this weekend to create my first livery.

Christopher Elliott likes this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'll try and do a walkthrough video at the weekend.

Frank Murphy, ADSTA, EsxPaul and 6 others like this.
  11. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

If you have the time that would be fantastic and highly appreciated.

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Windows are the same as they've always been as far as the banner goes. Unfortunately we can no longer add anything to the Glass (clear) area. I'm assuming it's a different material so has a unknown name.
    The window templates are in the Templates folder in your rF2 directory.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I hope you've got it right yourself first. There's enough miss information on youtube now.

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

GRAB_296.JPG

Boom.

Levelup1, jayarrbee36, Alex72 and 7 others like this.
  15. gluon

gluon Registered

I've created a virtual ride with a custom skin for an Austin Martin Vantage GT3 and noticed this beahaviour as well. However when I checked the newly created folder for this virtual ride there were no alt_region.dds nor alt.json files. I then proceeded to copy those two from the AMV_GT3_01 folder which is created after pressing the "create dir" button and it worked, the virtual ride was now using my livery.

That being said, there's no way I can see my custom skin in replay mode, no matter whether it's a virtual ride or not. Do you also experience this?

16. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Yeah things aren't really that different than what it currently has been. D.Painter your tutorial is spot on.

I haven't gotten too far with a car that is currently implementing the system. But I do have a question for a future project on seeing how the window textures will be done with the new system. I have the Performance Tech Oreca all set up for when the oreca gets the material system, but I'm wondering how a car with multiple textures will be done.

[​IMG]

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Chris Lesperance If you have a look at the json file in notebook there is a line directory pointing it towards the WCCARBODY. This could be changes to WCWINDOW to direct the json to the windows. Meaning there would need to be 2 json files. This wold then need a different name so they don't overwrite. At the moment we have alt_json. The windows one would need to have a different prefix such as altWin_json (example only). Or alternatively add the windows to the current json with it's own entries.
    The Painteditor would need to have a section added so when open it would list as it does now twice with section provided for window edit.

I've found the windows boarders and banner are the only thing editable. The glass area is not. This being the case the glass area must be a different material and not mapped to same template (texture) If I could see the cars Mas I could confirm that. Whether it has a WC prefix is also unknown. If not then this area will not be editable so we can't add numbers and/or names.

This is all new and still being developed. It is stated in the tutorial that the painteditor is still not 100%.

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Hi, I just bought the challenge pack last night but I keep getting all these errors and cant see the Audi, the Porsche or the Aston Martin in game. The Callaway, Bentley, Radical and McLaren 720 are all fine. I get so many errors with MATH, WCExtra, Windscreen, so many , too many to list here.
    I uninstalled a heap of mods and verified game files through Steam, went looking for the d9dx.dll files in the bin folders but there were none .
    Is there an update that I need, the game is at the latest update. Im pretty sure I already have the original GT3 mod and dont want to have to download it again unless I can do it without paying for it again.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its only this mod that Im having problrms with .

19. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Did you try unsubscribing from the new pack? In steam go to “your name” > inventory > rf2 then select each of the cars you have issues with and unsubscribe, restart rf2 so it cleans up then close it again, go back into steam and resubscribe to the cars and it should then work

20. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Make sure you have the latest version (update) of rF2 Sounds like your rF2 install is missing a lot off the new features that the GT3 cars rely on. NON BETA
    upload_2019-2-9_13-5-50.png

M D Gourley likes this.